Help Found A Newborn Kitten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! Found a newborn kitten outside a store earlier. The staff there said the mom is gone. It was in the middle of a walkway screaming so I couldn't leave it.

I only managed to get powdered goats milk which I tried to feed through a 3ml syringe but it struggled so I don't know how much I got in the little thing. We're driving home now and it's in a shoe box, crying its head off.

I don't know what to do. I've never dealt with anything like this before I'm so out of my depth. I'm typing this as my husband is driving.

I'm gonna go get proper kitten milk when we get home. Maybe another syringe? But how do I get the milk in it, it struggles so much!!

My in laws are landing tonight and it's Chinese New Year here so all the shelters/vets are shut. Help please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the umbilical cord is pretty long should I cut it? I'm afraid it would strangle itself moving around so much

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the kitten warm. It means actively warming it up, unless its very hot in your place.

Powdered goats milk is fine, as long as its no peculiar low fat diet variation.
Raw goats milk is even better, if you can get it.
Its surely better than some substandard kitten mothermilk replacements... kmr.

If you get a proper kitten milk, be sure it IS a kmr, and not a low lactose treat for cats, for example such made by whiskas.

PetAg makes good brands, their powdered is good, but their premixed liquid is so so. GNC makes good, they are often based on goats milk.
Royal Canin makes good kitten milk kmr too.
Taking a few examples.

Can you get glucose sugar? it may be called dextrose or dextropur... Useful in many situations if the kittens gets weak. You can for example smear water + glucose solution on its gums and lips... Works almost instantly.
If you cant, honey or white caro syrup can be used.

Yes, you can shorten down the cord, no problems now. use your nails or a scissor.

its easier using a 1 or 1,5 ml syringe for such small ones.
How much? if its say 90 grammes, so it will be around 25 ml goats milk or kmr a day. Say every second hour, gives about 2 ml at a time.
Give it lukewarm!!!
IF you use micro, make sure you shake the contends, because micro gives uneven temperatures in the fluid.
Best is a water bath. Or put the milk under a flowing warm water.

OK, how. tummy down, head up. You may held it in a handkerchief or a little towel, easier to hold a wriggly one.
In the corner of the mouth, dropwise so it can swallow.
Train some for yourself first!

Try to stimulate the tummy and bottom after the feeding, to let it pee and poo. The first poo will probably be black as tar. Its natural.

Its not easy first time, but it can be done. A dedicated, loving person can usually manage if you go in for it.
Also, its much easier to take care of an orphan than a sickly, weak kitten, so here you do have a plus.

On youtube Kitten lady has some good info.

Good luck!
And please continue to report and ask!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where are you? Is it mainland China?

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Malaysia, it's a hot tropical country so not sure if I have to worry about heating. It's 30celcius now.

I went and got a kitten milk replacer. It says it's suitable for orphaned kittens. The brand is petalac, made in Australia. Is this okay? I looked for petag but couldn't find. Managed to get about 2ml of that into her/him.

I tried stimulating the bum but I think nothing came out? Just what looked like black stains. I tried for about 5 minutes, how long do I have to do it for? I'll try again later.

Noted on the cord.

I'm just trying to keep the little one alive till I can find a shelter open. For something so small and frail it sure is throwing a lot of fuss. Just won't stay still.

Thanks so much for your reply stefanz!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Petlac is OK.
If you can get raw goats milk its possibly better, this comes from an alive mom.

He hasnt eat nor drunk much as yet, so nothing peculiar he cant pee as yet. These black stains are normal, its what is in the bowels during pregnancy.

Repeat this 2 ml every second hour. If necessary 1 ml each hour....

Re shelters. It will help only if they have lined up fostering homes, ready to work with infants. Many shelters havent... And pts the admitted small orphans.
So often the best chance for the orphan is if the founder is herself a caretaker. Possibly in cooperation with this shelter... YOU being the fosterhome to the shelter... And the shelter will pay for the vet care.
Because often its not the money which are the bottleneck, but its the places and caretakers...

So talk it through with them before you admit in the kitten...

Its perhaps Fate which send this kitten to you. You being its protector, and later on, him becoming your protector. In this his life and thereafter...

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re shelters: that's disheartening to hear. I will try all the shelters around me, and make sure it goes to a foster person. Otherwise, I have no choice but to foster the kitten myself which I'm not sure how to do as we're working full-time, and on top of that my in laws are visiting for the month. So i'd probably be out all day with them.

I'm not so worried about the night feedings, but more the day feedings when I'm not home (at work or sightseeing with in laws). How do people usually manage??

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Its perhaps Fate which send this kitten to you. You being its protector, and later on, him becoming your protector. In this his life and thereafter...
This is beautiful and I believe in this.

qissycat qissycat Thank you for not turning your back on this precious little being. You can do this. I rescued a days old kitty before and I was in panic mode. But I got lucky as it did not take long when I found the mama and fostered them both.

People like you is why I still believe in humanity.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just did the third feeding. Good God he (i think it's a he) struggles so much. I had 3ml in the syringe but don't know how much actually went in. Maybe half?

I think he peed this time coz I saw droplets coming out. But still no poop.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is beautiful and I believe in this.

qissycat qissycat Thank you for not turning your back on this precious little being. You can do this. I rescued a days old kitty before and I was in panic mode. But I got lucky as it did not take long when I found the mama and fostered them both.

People like you is why I still believe in humanity.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I honestly don't know what I'm doing or if I'm doing things right. Every time I check on him I expect the worst :(

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Although it would take a long time to learn everything you need to and time is of the essence now, check out:

Kitten Lady

She has ~150+ videos on taking care of neonatal kittens (which this kitty is). Maybe search for specific videos like feeding/pooping etc.

best of luck and THANK YOU for doing all that you can.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I am at work and shouldn't be browsing YT, but just search her videos :)

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I woke up in the middle of the night and was feeling kind of anxious. Seeing this thread about helping the kitten made me so happy! I wish for you and the kitten the best. You are doing really good!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I honestly don't know what I'm doing or if I'm doing things right. Every time I check on him I expect the worst :(
Honestly when I was parent to my biological child, I felt likewise.
But I said: Im his parent so he must do with me. And I of course did my best. It was good enough.... :)

Your working days. In nature momma must often leave her kittens even several hours. Yet most survive.
What is optimal is not always what is possible. Do what is possible. Im sure it will be good enough.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@FelisCactus, thank you for the videos. I've always been a fan of Kitten Lady, gonna revisit her videos now.

StefanZ StefanZ , regarding working days. I'm thinking to bring the little guy to work but leave him in the car in a sheltered carpark so the car wont heat up. I can sneak away to feed him every 2 to 4 hours. I definitely can't bring him into the office because 1) it's really cold with the AC and 2) it's a super corporate environment. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.