Help For Increasingly Aggressive Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Because I still have the problem of having two cats in two different spaces, and trying to spend good quality time with both, at which I'm failing. I let Molly out of confinement this evening for about a half hour and both cats did okay, though Charm watched Molly with a good deal of suspicion.

Maybe doing that daily and gradually increasing the time together would do the trick. The time previous to this when Molly got out she attacked Charm badly. I'm worried that will happen again and don't believe it's fair for Charm to be subjected to possible aggression again.

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - Thanks for your help and suggestions. It's funny (not really) but when I decided to try and rehome her, my husband said that he would really miss her because she was kind of dorky (she did have some personality quirks). That was before she started urinating on everything. Though I know that cats hide it when they're sick, I interpreted her clinginess to me as upset over the change in the area she was allowed to go in the house. But it's all water under the bridge at this point. Not long after I wrote about my problem with her, Molly started losing weight pretty rapidly. Those of you who suggested that she might be sick were right. She was diagnosed with cancer and we had to say goodbye to her right before Thanksgiving. Though it is a sad end to the problem, I feel so grateful for the advice from all of you and that I didn't rehome her. She was a pretty social girl and I'm sure she'd have been happy anywhere, but I'd have felt awful if someone adopted her only to have her diagnosed with cancer a short time later. On a happier note, Charm has returned to her normal, happy, sweet self. She sleeps with me every night, which she hadn't done in a long time because Molly would chase her off the bed; and she sits on my lap for as long as I have to sit with her. I still have the problem with her pooping next to her litter box and that's something I'll have to figure out.

That started when I had to start working long hours and I knew that was her way of expressing her unhappiness. And even after I was no longer working the long hours it continued, probably because she was unhappy with being dominated by Molly. But it's still continuing, I think because of force of habit. She always uses the litter to urinate. If She defecates on the floor, I move it to the litter box and then she'll use the litter box. But if there's any urine in the box, she uses the floor for her bowel movement. She's averaging about 50% in the box and 50% next to the box. I am hoping that with a little persistence on my part, once she gets back into the habit of using the litter for bowel movements it won't be a problem anymore.

Well, I got off on a tangent. I really just wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions with Molly. I appreciated having people who understand cats to talk to about it. In the 55 years I've had cats I'd never run into this sort of problem. So thank you to all of you! =^..^=

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. But glad that she was able to be with you until the end. Thank you for being there for her, I know she appreciates all your efforts and love.

But if there's any urine in the box, she uses the floor for her bowel movement.
And although you did not specifically ask for help with this. I just wanted to add that sometimes cats like one litter box for urine and one for poop. Perhaps adding a second litter box will alleviate the issue.

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Jem. I'm glad to have been able to be with her, and the funny thing is that she was uncharacteristically calm and quiet during the trip and once we were at the vet. It was almost as though she sensed we were doing what was best for her.

Regarding my Charmie, we do have two litter boxes. If she goes to the litter and urinates first, then she won't use it or the other litter for a BM. But I have faith we'll get through this little bump in the road. It seems to help to put her BM in the box. It seems to serve as sort of a reminder about where she should go. I believe an increase from 0% to 50% is encouraging. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe an increase from 0% to 50% is encouraging.
Absolutely it is!!
I'm so sorry about Molly, bless your heart, and happy to hear that Charm is happier!! Please, let us know how things continue with her, and you :)

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem