Help! Fleas!!

madcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, please can you share your experience and expertise with me. Those of you who know me are already aware that I have 14 house cats and that I also feed out door cats for neighbours. I also seem to be the person people bring any strays to for help. Recently I have been working with a little stray and last week she let me pick her up....only to find she was riddled with fleas
 so I droped a dollop of frontline on her and went in doors to strip and wash everything.

I then as a precaution frontlined all of mine as I honestly cant say hand on heart that I havent given her a rub then touched one of my own. So, I have done a comb through on everyone and no fleas / flea poo in sight. However, my mum has a single indoor cat and tonight she asked me to take a look at her as she had a couple of "spots" under her furr around her neck. As a precautionary measure I went armed with a flea comb and frontline as I recognised the signs and yes...FLEAS!!!. I only found one adult flea and no flea poo so I am surmising she hasnt had them long.

What I dont get is how she got them, she never goes out, is a single cat and mum has lived in the house 10+ years having had new everything fitted when she moved in. Could she have walked something in from outside?? My sister handles the farm cats where her horses are then calls for coffee on her way home, could that be it?? How easy is it to pass fleas on?? My guys got fleas once a coupe of years ago when a friends daughter stayed with me wearing the stuff from home and her cats had fleas (which I was unaware of at the time) I Flea treat my house annually with a product called RIP fleas which protects for 12 months.

I just dont want to have a situation where we just pass the problem back and forth.

I despise fleas

Am I over reacting??

Thanks

Mandy

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas hop on, feed and hop off and you can accidentally carry them in from outside.  The eggs, larvae and pupae can also hang around for a long, long time in the environment - in a house.

The RIP fleas isn't expensive, suggest your mum's house is treated as well which should deal with any potential infestation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this, you have confirmed what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure I wasnt over reacting and being over cautious

Thanks

mandy