Help! First time with a kitten!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! A quick warning that this is going to be a long post as I have a lot of questions! I just got my very first kitten Sunday, and he's 12 weeks old. We've always adopted strays that were 3 or 4 years old already, so although I have experience with cats, I know nothing about kittens 😂

Question 1: I have mild allergies that get quite bad the closer a cat is to my face. Petting is perfectly fine but holding a cat close to my face really bothers me. My kitten LOVES to sleep on my chest, which has made my allergies absolutely awful despite how many medications I take. Is there any way I can train him to sleep next to me and not on me? I have his kitty bed next to me but he always ends up sitting right on my chest as soon as I fall asleep.

2: he LICKS!!! I've met nibbly kittens but instead of biting, he licks. And it actually really hurts! I try diverting his attention by moving my arm, hand, leg, etc. And giving him a toy. Which works until I go to sleep! And then he will just lick and lick until he wakes me up and I have raw spots on me. How can I get this to stop?!

And lastly, is sleeping through the night non-existent for Kittens? I play with him off and on through out the day, and then one really good play session for about an hour ( 15 Minutes of play, a few minutes rest, 15 Minutes of play and so on, then dinner time, then bed time). But he just never seems to run out of energy and wakes me up at 5 am sharp! Is there anyway to help him sleep through the night so I can get some rest?! 😂

Another thing I have noticed is that he really doesn't eat a lot. I kept hearing that kittens can eat double what an adult cat can eat, and he barely gets through a small can of wet food and 1/4 cup of dry. I'm assuming this is because he's only been here for a few days and is still getting into a routine.

Thanks!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! A quick warning that this is going to be a long post as I have a lot of questions! I just got my very first kitten Sunday, and he's 12 weeks old. We've always adopted strays that were 3 or 4 years old already, so although I have experience with cats, I know nothing about kittens 😂

Question 1: I have mild allergies that get quite bad the closer a cat is to my face. Petting is perfectly fine but holding a cat close to my face really bothers me. My kitten LOVES to sleep on my chest, which has made my allergies absolutely awful despite how many medications I take. Is there any way I can train him to sleep next to me and not on me? I have his kitty bed next to me but he always ends up sitting right on my chest as soon as I fall asleep.

2: he LICKS!!! I've met nibbly kittens but instead of biting, he licks. And it actually really hurts! I try diverting his attention by moving my arm, hand, leg, etc. And giving him a toy. Which works until I go to sleep! And then he will just lick and lick until he wakes me up and I have raw spots on me. How can I get this to stop?!

And lastly, is sleeping through the night non-existent for Kittens? I play with him off and on through out the day, and then one really good play session for about an hour ( 15 Minutes of play, a few minutes rest, 15 Minutes of play and so on, then dinner time, then bed time). But he just never seems to run out of energy and wakes me up at 5 am sharp! Is there anyway to help him sleep through the night so I can get some rest?! 😂

Another thing I have noticed is that he really doesn't eat a lot. I kept hearing that kittens can eat double what an adult cat can eat, and he barely gets through a small can of wet food and 1/4 cup of dry. I'm assuming this is because he's only been here for a few days and is still getting into a routine.

Thanks!
I'll try to answer, but someone else may recognize signs of something.

1. Can you sleep on your side? I would suggest just redirecting him to the bed maybe put a piece of your clothing on it, but he is probably enjoying your heartbeat and breathing.

2. IDK

3. Cats are nocturnal they live for the nightlife, but they also do get in a few winks. Mine usually start up at bedtime which is around 11pm. Try exhausting him before bed.

Good Luck!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Can you be able to have him on a separate room at night or when you sleep? Set up a cozy spot for him someplace so he can probably get used to it without you at night.

2. I am no expert, but a cat licking on human is a sign of affection. Try distracting him with a toy or a catnip each time.

3. As what's mentioned above, cats are nocturnal. And for a kitten who has unlimited dose of energy you'd expect he will be more awake and active at nights. Yes, try to play with him at least for an hour before bedtime, and make sure he has a full stomach. In time it will get lesser and lesser and you will find him sleeping along with you (like my cats).

Goodluck and congratulations on your new kitty!! :redheartpump:

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does some of the things your cat does too, but I am not sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try to answer, but someone else may recognize signs of something.

1. Can you sleep on your side? I would suggest just redirecting him to the bed maybe put a piece of your clothing on it, but he is probably enjoying your heartbeat and breathing.

2. IDK

3. Cats are nocturnal they live for the nightlife, but they also do get in a few winks. Mine usually start up at bedtime which is around 11pm. Try exhausting him before bed.

Good Luck!
Unfortunately, even on my side he will sleep up on me 😂 I'm going to start trying to clicker train him and see if I can train him to sleep in his bed next to me. So for now I'm taking a heavy dose of Benadryl before bed.

I definitely exhausted him last night and that did the trick! He let me sleep until about 6:30 which is when I have to get up anyway! I'll have to make sure I set aside an hour before bed each night to really tire him out. And because he was so tired, he just slept in one spot on the bed until he woke up to go potty and plopped himself down right on my face.

And he wasn't awake to lick me either! I guess I just wasn't playing with him long enough, but it seemed to solve most of my problems!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, even on my side he will sleep up on me 😂 I'm going to start trying to clicker train him and see if I can train him to sleep in his bed next to me. So for now I'm taking a heavy dose of Benadryl before bed.
I have a cat that does that to me as well, I thought of you when she jumped up and laid on my hip lol

I definitely exhausted him last night and that did the trick! He let me sleep until about 6:30 which is when I have to get up anyway! I'll have to make sure I set aside an hour before bed each night to really tire him out. And because he was so tired, he just slept in one spot on the bed until he woke up to go potty and plopped himself down right on my face.

And he wasn't awake to lick me either! I guess I just wasn't playing with him long enough, but it seemed to solve most of my problems!
Ah yes, good 'ol benydryl

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he'll let you do it, I was surprised that the tropiclean dander-reducing waterless shampoo actually works really well for allergies.

It's pretty normal for even kittens to eat less when they're in a new place. Be on the look out for diarrhea though, as it's insanely common (but not too serious) for kittens to be fighting off GI bugs.

As for the rest, you might have to do a bit of trial and error with things like toys, cat grass, extra playtime, etc to get into a routine that works for both of you. But, do be very careful about reinforcing any behaviors you don't like! He might be licking you right now because he just likes licking you, but if he learns that it gets him something (for example, playtime with you, or even just extra attention when he wants you to be awake), he'll soon start to do it in order to get that response. When you're sleeping, I'd suggest pulling the covers over you and laying still until he stops trying to lick you, otherwise it might become his go-to wake up call!