help FINALIZING MY homecooked RECIPE

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Short story:
- my cat doesn't tolerate raw (he vomits)
- he has diarrhea on commercial wet only (but he loves it)
- he doesn't like much boiled chicken/turkey (but he has perfect stool)

The perfect compromise has been:

- Boiled turkey mixed with Buffalo Basics Turkey Canned (he kind of likes it and stool is great)

BUT 10 days ago I wanted to try chicken instead of turkey and he loved it to the point that now he doesn't like turkey !!

what is the issue ? Chicken (canned and cooked) gives him a softer stool.

FINAL RECIPE:

Thinking of doing:
- Cooked chicken thighs + liver + alnutrin mixed with Turkey canned. This way he has chicken he likes and cooked food that helps his stool.
Question is: what could be some additions to make his stool firmer ? More liver (up to 8-10%) ? More eggshells ? Some bones ?

just trying to finalize the perfect recipe in terms of taste and stool firmness :)

Thanks ALL 🙏🏻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here the current home cooked recipe:

454 gr of chicken/turkey (boneless - skinless)
23 gr of chicken liver
7 gr alnutrin
70 gr pumpkin
Some water

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You could add some probiotics.

I wouldn’t add any eggshell or bones as the Alnutrin already has a calcium source and you would throw off the calcium to phosphorus ratio.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok
What's the highest yet safe % of liver you can feed ?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Does the Alnutrin you’re feeding have liver in it? I would look at the instructions. Usually when we formulate homemade diets the organs don’t make up more than 10% of the total meat content. But, if the Alnutrition already has liver in it you would need to consider that too. I would just follow the Alnutrition instructions exactly.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No alnutrin doesn't have it

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They say 6lb of meat and 3oz of liver

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I would just stick with the instructions. The Alnutrition is formulated in a way to give you a complete meal, so if using it I would stick to it exactly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you check the Alnutrin site and their supplement packaging, you'll find that Alnutrin lists two figures for liver. Our cats seem to like liver so I use the larger amount. I can check the package later, if you need. (I buy the little packets for one pound of meat.)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok
What's the highest yet safe % of liver you can feed ?
Liver will make the stools softer. Maybe you can mix some turkey meat with the chicken meat when you're making your homemade as the turkey is a leaner meat.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really ? Liver makes the stool softer ? I thought that being full of iron would make it harder

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes organ meat makes softer stools. I believe the liver content doesn't have to be exact. But low end is 5% and higher end seems to be around 7% or a little higher. Do not mess with the calcium.

Well really you can adjust the calcium but you have to be detailed about it. I would buy the eggshell powder separately from alnutrin if you wanted to go that route. And of course do more research on it. I'm not sure how to adjust calcium levels without using real bone.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The point of using Alnutrition is so that you don’t have to follow a recipe or use your own supplements. You just do what the box says - exactly. If you want to make your own recipe and formulate different amounts of organs and eggshell then you need to do research and Alnutrition wouldn’t be used.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The point of using Alnutrition is so that you don’t have to follow a recipe or use your own supplements. You just do what the box says - exactly. If you want to make your own recipe and formulate different amounts of organs and eggshell then you need to do research and Alnutrition wouldn’t be used.
Alnutrin does have 2 different amounts listed for the liver to use. I imagine he should use the 5% because of the soft stool. And they do sell alnutrin without any eggshell and also have just regular eggshell separately.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin does have 2 different amounts listed for the liver to use. I imagine he should use the 5% because of the soft stool. And they do sell alnutrin without any eggshell and also have just regular eggshell separately.
Not sure what the 2 different liver values are for. The one without the eggshell is for those who are feeding with bone, I believe. If he’s using the one with eggshell he shouldn’t add more calcium. And if there’s no calcium source he can use eggshell instead of bone but he’d need to weigh the eggshell to make sure the calcium to phosphorus ratio is correct.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just had his first BM after the new recipe started yesterday and the stool has been great, almost perfect. I'll see what happens next days.

He also loved this new recipe with higher liver and lower pumpkin. Plus I used the water from cooking the chicken instead of drinking water.

Let's see :)