Help figuring out kitty behavior

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is so darn hard to figure out sometimes. Lately he seems to have less energy; he didn't have a lot before, due to age and illness, but it seems like he's sleeping and laying down even more now. He doesn't appear to be in pain or throwing up more often or throwing up anything strange (he does vomit now and then, no more than any cat I've ever had that was healthy), he has been eating a bit better and more regularly since I switched him to pate cat food rather than chunky, but it's become harder for me to tell when he's actually hungry. Usually, he'll meow very loudly when I show him his food dish, but now sometimes I show him his dish and if he follows me, then I know he's wants food. He also still drinks - he's got three bowls full of fresh water at all times, and he uses the litter box normally too.

He still purrs when I pet him - especially with his favorite brush, and he still likes to play. He's not exactly a live wire, but he'll throw himself and bat wildly at a string for a while. He seems comfortable when he's laying down - he curls up in a little ball with his back feet tucked under his chin, but he will stay in the same spot for hours. I mean it seems like a long time even for an older kitty. He also does still perk up when he sees my boyfriend, but not quite as much as he used to. And he'll still jump on things, so moving around is okay (his cat box is all the way in the basement, which he has no issues walking to and climbing in and out of). It just seems like either a lack of energy or being unhappy.

I don't know if he's depressed or possibly just nearing the end of his life and slowly winding down, but I can't imagine he's feeling too awful if he's willing to play at all or purrs or eats. I do have the quality of life scale from Pawspice and he's definitely doing fine by their standards. Mobility, breathing, and hygiene are all good, hydration could be a bit better, probably (he's not DEhydrated, but more wouldn't hurt), food intake could be better as he is underweight (but I cannot force feed him). It's his mood that concerns me most, especially when I don't know how to improve it. Treats don't work if he's not interested in eating them, and petting only works if he's not grumpy and doesn't have a hissy fit if I touch him.

I know a cat his age (he's at least 12 or 13, I'd say) is going to sleep a lot, but I wonder when sleep goes from normal to excessive? He does have his off days where he just doesn't give a crap about much and lays in the same spot all day long, and other days he's alright. Sometimes distance helps too - like when I'm gone all day, he's almost always waiting for me at the top of the stairs. When I come in from walking the dog, he's always waiting for me by the door. At night he might be moody, but the next day he might be scratching my door and meowing.

Help with moody kitty? I don't know what - if anything - I should do. It always scares the crap out of me when he has his off days because I worry he's dying and then I end up constantly bothering him to make sure he's okay, which makes him grumpy and tired.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think you're doing what so many of us do... worrying a little too much.

My boy has a deformity and it was hit and miss whether he'd survive.  He's made it past one year, but even now I worry if he seems to be panting a little too much (it's a part of what he does), or sleeping "too much", or whatever.

Grumpiness can mean pain or illness, but it can also just be 'leave me alone, I'm sleeping'. 

Why not have a good vet check to put your mind at rest.

Then you can relax and know that you're so vigilant, you won't miss anything that needs attention. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think he's in any pain. Kip has always been a moody kitty, wherein he will hiss and growl and spit if he's overstimulated (petted too much or if I touch his tail or feet) and the mood swings are not different from before. Just maybe a little more frequent, which can happen when I bother him more out of worry. He's also not one for being picked up and squirms to be let go. I know I worry a lot about him - probably too much. But he's my last kitty and I really don't want to have to put down my third cat in less than a year. Plus I know what's wrong with him and I'm worried a vet visit will put him off his food for a week like it tends to do to him and I really can't have him not eating.

Sometimes I worry he breathes too hard, but I realize it looks that way because he's so skinny. Other times, he might not take a breath for several seconds when he's deeply asleep and that freaks me out too. Sometimes when he rolls and twists around in his sleep, I have to check on him. My Caspurr did similar things when she was dying - I think she was having seizures and when I see Kip doing similar things, I worry he's seizing too. But then I find out he's just doing normal kitty rolling and he's fine. Of course he doesn't like it when I wake him up.

And I was wrong about treats. I gave him some earlier with some catnip and he devoured them. Not the greatest thing ever for him, but between treats and nothing, I'd rather he eat junk food. I've also heard Meow Mix - while awful for cats - is often tempting to even fatty liver disease kitties and I think I might see if he's willing to eat that even if just for a little while. He has no teeth in the front of his mouth, but he is capable of eating kibbles. Sometimes I catch him eating the dog's dry food right after he turns up his nose at canned cat food or even tuna.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Someone from the site sent me some Kitty Kisses last year.. we can't get them here... I my two tried to rip open the parcel to get to them, and they're just not like that.   They are liver treats and don't have horrid additives.  I don't know if they're appropriate, but, just a thought.

He may also be missing his mates, just like you are..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've wondered if he misses the other kitties too, even though they never got along. He liked to beat up Rolly all the time and while he and Caspurr were usually okay, she would put Kip in his place if he tried to start something. Maybe he misses his punching bag or something. Alas, I still live at home and my mother has already said many times that she doesn't want me bringing anymore cats in. In fact, she had a conniption today over the carpet being all shredded in one spot...which I don't think was Kip since he only ever scratches his scratching post. But the dog's nails are terribly long and I think she might have accidentally yanked up the carpeting.

Part of me would like to bring home another kitty to keep him company, but I don't think my mother would have it. It's totally okay for her to bring home more dogs, but I can't have more cats.

Also, Kip seemed much better today than he has been the last few days. He greeted me at the door when I got up this morning and he slept on my lap for a while. I bit and got him Meow Mix - I know it's horrible for cats, but given the option of him eating nothing and him eating garbage, I'd rather he eat the garbage. So now he's got a little bowl of it near his water bowls to munch on as he pleases. He went right for it too; didn't eat a whole bunch of it because he had some canned food earlier, but he seems to like it. I just want him to have something to eat in between cans of food should he get hungry.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
You know even if they didn't get on, they still miss each other.  Maybe that's it, and the two of you can work through the grieving process together. 

I'm glad things are looking up.