Help!! Feral cat in apartment needs to be caught.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This morningI am going over to help a family catch a feral cat that’s living in an apartment. This is a 8 month old kitten that was trapped during bad weather with his sister. They are moving and found a home for the kittens as barn cats. The female sister at was trapped two days ago and is in her new home. The male won’t go into the trap and hasn’t eaten since they tried putting benedryl in his food a couple of days ago. That I didn’t know about till after it happened.

So, I am going over to try to catch this cat and get him into a carrier.

The cat doesn’t come out from under the bed and has not ever been handled.

Any suggestions? There is also a ton of stuff in the bedroom he is in because it is used as storage. They have tried drop down traps and regular traps.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the try fried chicken or just about anything that would entice him for this one time in his life?

Is this a situation where someone could suit up with a heavy jacket, long sturdy gloves, goggles, etc and grab him? If there is a lot of junk in the room, I wonder if he can be cornered, even under the bed if someone takes precautions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got back. He is totally feral and panicked. I was able to close him into the closet. Told them to put food water and litter in there. He hasn’t eaten in 3 days. I’m going back over tomorrow.

Poor cat. He just lost his sister and is slam himself into the windows freaked out.

They have some Gabapentin from another cat they will try provided he eats food without it tonight.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. He is going to be going where his sister is to live as barn cats. They are going to be keeping them inside until they are familiar with the area, I have been told. It isn't the best life for a cat, but in this area, feral cats don't have much in the way of options. Most people want friendly cats as pets.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S silent meowlook a looked after barn cat can be a great option for some cats. It's too stressful for them to be inside and scared with humans. Stress takes a tole on the body.

We could never have kept all the dumped cats inside, or rehomed them all but a heated barn, yummy food and lots to do was a good time.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Getting ready to try again. Cat has been in the closet on the top shelf the last 24+ hours. He did eat a little. Think I’m going to have to bring a net. This poor cat will be traumatized.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He got out of the closet last night. Just talked to the owner. He is not eating. I told her to leave him in the bedroom he is in and feed him. We’ll let him settle down before we try again. Maybe in a few days. I feel bad that his sister isn’t with him and I would have done things different but I wasn’t called about it until after the sister was already relocated. So he is in pure survival mode now. I don’t want to add to that stress.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wise decision to let the poor kitty decompress. It's sad that the people didn't call you initially but looking forward, the kitty is in a safe location and hopefully the windows are kept covered so he isn't tempted to break out. Does he have a box to hide in? If he isn't neutered, the people might try using bobcat pheromones that hunters use for baiting bobcat traps (for the record, I don't believe in trapping and hunting cats, including large cats. If folks are losing animals, they need to practice better husbandry by building secure coops, pens and runs) Thank you for keeping us updated!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has tons of places to hide. That is one of the problems in getting him. The female can't come back. She is settled in at her new place that is about an hour away. Hopefully he calms down a bit. The windows are closed. I did that when I got there the other day. I know a cat can push through a screen like nothing.

Thank you for the kind thoughts.