Help/encouragement With Socializing A Feral Cat

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats 3 -15 yr olds and a 6 yr old, and have lost my mind and taken in a feral cat. It’s a long story, but she is about a year old and we got her last week. I know that this is going to take a long time, but I have been encouraged by her progress so far. She is in a carrier inside a large dog crate in my office with the door closed. We were able to pull the blankets that were draping her back after a few days. She very quickly would come out of the carrier to eat with me in the room, but didn’t come out for anything else other than the litter box. Yesterday, she was visually introduced to my other cats fora few minutes. She had the strangest response. She initially got up, stepped out of her carrier a bit and started marking by rubbing her head along the door. But then, she laid down and started purring and kneading. I thought maybe the sight of other cats made her somewhat comfortable since she was from a colony of her kittens and sibs. Afterwards, she let me touch her paws inside her carrier and was smelling my fingers. However, today we are at day one. She hissed and growled when I put treats inside her carrier, like I do daily. She hasn’t come out of the carrier even to eat. She pooped outside the litterbox in a couple of places, which she hasn’t done. She’s been a model kitty so far.

She had a dose of dewormer on Friday, but is otherwise healthy according to the vet.

I’m not sure whether to cover the crate and start over or what. I have ordered a tall 6’ crate for her so that she will be able to go up, and I’m hoping that will help some. I’m not letting there be any sight of my other cats.I’m not sure if there is anything else I should be doing.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right to keep your other cats out of sight. You want her to feel comfortable with you first. Your cats will be at a much later date.

Remember when working with feral cats it is often one step forward and many steps back. They often beat to their own drum and always have their own time frame and agenda. Time and patience are your friend. It is human nature to rush the process as we so want our cats settled and a part of our family. Give it time. She might adjust within a few weeks, a few months or longer. The first feral I brought inside was a 3 year old male. It took him one solid year to adjust and learn to get along with my other cat. I have since brought 5 other ferals into the house. Some adjust quickly while others take time.

Since she was from a colony of cats, she may very well enjoy the company of other cats. As time goes by, you could start doing some scent swapping with one of your friendly resident cats. Sometimes a friendly cat will help speed the process up. Yet give her time to adjust first.

I would not cover the crate at this time unless you see that she is completely agitated. If you feel she is more comfortable with it covered, you could cover 3 sides and see how she does.

Do you have any feliway? Are you playing any soft music for her? I liked to use harp music that I purchsed for my ipod on Amazon. There are also calming treats/liquids that also can help.

Here is a great article on working with shy cats and also some other tips.

How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

Here are a few other tips:
1. The first tip is to have a room that is dedicated to the cat. If possible this should be a room where the cat will be confined for a period of time. You can use a spare bedroom or even a small bathroom. If using a bedroom or other room of your home, be sure that the room is cat proofed. Remove mattress and box springs or place them directly on the floor. Hiding under a bed is the first place the cat will run and it is almost impossible to get them out. Also block behind dressers or book cases. Cats can fit into very small spaces. You do want to have an appropriate hiding spot for the cat. This can be an old box turned on its side or a hiding box found on a cat tree. Also make sure all windows are tightly closed and blinds are up with the cords hidden. Do not be surprised if the cat throws himself against the window in an attempt to escape.

2. If you do not have an empty room available or the cat is very wild, you can use a large dog crate or fasten two smaller crates together. Just be sure there is enough room for a small litter pan and food. If you need to use a crate, I would suggest keeping the crate covered with a sheet or towel when the cat is alone. This will help to calm the cat. Eventually you will need a cat proofed space where you can move the cat.

3. You will want to start with 2 litter boxes. Many feral cats are not used to urinating and defecating in the same location. When choosing a litter, you can use fresh clean potting soil mixed with non clumping litter or you can try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Attract. I have found the Litter Attract to work very well. If the cat has an accident on the floor, sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it into the litter box. Do the same with any stool. Make sure you clean the area very well with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces of odor. Place the litter boxes away from the food and water.

4. Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5. Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

6. No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

7. Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

8. Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

9. Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

10. Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

11. Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planets, “My Cat From Hell” series is the cat guru. He has a line of flower essences that are specially designed for cat behaviors. He even has one for feral cats. I have used this essence with great success on all of my feral cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice!! I am using Music for Cats, which is supposedly researched to be helpful to calm cats. I am also using some vet recommended scents in the room. The plan is to get a room prepared for her, but that will take a little time due to logistics. I will leave the covers as they have been the last few days and just start over with getting her used to me again. I will also try some scents from the friendlier cats and see if that helps. I'm looking forward to trying the baby food, I didn't realize I can get it without the spices in it.

You are right to keep your other cats out of sight. You want her to feel comfortable with you first. Your cats will be at a much later date.

Remember when working with feral cats it is often one step forward and many steps back. They often beat to their own drum and always have their own time frame and agenda. Time and patience are your friend. It is human nature to rush the process as we so want our cats settled and a part of our family. Give it time. She might adjust within a few weeks, a few months or longer. The first feral I brought inside was a 3 year old male. It took him one solid year to adjust and learn to get along with my other cat. I have since brought 5 other ferals into the house. Some adjust quickly while others take time.

Since she was from a colony of cats, she may very well enjoy the company of other cats. As time goes by, you could start doing some scent swapping with one of your friendly resident cats. Sometimes a friendly cat will help speed the process up. Yet give her time to adjust first.

I would not cover the crate at this time unless you see that she is completely agitated. If you feel she is more comfortable with it covered, you could cover 3 sides and see how she does.

Do you have any feliway? Are you playing any soft music for her? I liked to use harp music that I purchsed for my ipod on Amazon. There are also calming treats/liquids that also can help.

Here is a great article on working with shy cats and also some other tips.

How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

Here are a few other tips:
1. The first tip is to have a room that is dedicated to the cat. If possible this should be a room where the cat will be confined for a period of time. You can use a spare bedroom or even a small bathroom. If using a bedroom or other room of your home, be sure that the room is cat proofed. Remove mattress and box springs or place them directly on the floor. Hiding under a bed is the first place the cat will run and it is almost impossible to get them out. Also block behind dressers or book cases. Cats can fit into very small spaces. You do want to have an appropriate hiding spot for the cat. This can be an old box turned on its side or a hiding box found on a cat tree. Also make sure all windows are tightly closed and blinds are up with the cords hidden. Do not be surprised if the cat throws himself against the window in an attempt to escape.

2. If you do not have an empty room available or the cat is very wild, you can use a large dog crate or fasten two smaller crates together. Just be sure there is enough room for a small litter pan and food. If you need to use a crate, I would suggest keeping the crate covered with a sheet or towel when the cat is alone. This will help to calm the cat. Eventually you will need a cat proofed space where you can move the cat.

3. You will want to start with 2 litter boxes. Many feral cats are not used to urinating and defecating in the same location. When choosing a litter, you can use fresh clean potting soil mixed with non clumping litter or you can try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Attract. I have found the Litter Attract to work very well. If the cat has an accident on the floor, sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it into the litter box. Do the same with any stool. Make sure you clean the area very well with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces of odor. Place the litter boxes away from the food and water.

4. Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5. Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

6. No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

7. Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

8. Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

9. Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

10. Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

11. Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planets, “My Cat From Hell” series is the cat guru. He has a line of flower essences that are specially designed for cat behaviors. He even has one for feral cats. I have used this essence with great success on all of my feral cats.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I wonder if she hissed because it was a new day and she didn't recognize the scents on you. Cats are ruled by scent. Maybe put on a shirt that you wore the day before and always put on clothes that already "smell" like you. In the morning when we are fresh showered and fresh clothes smells odd to her so that could be why she hissed.

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. I hadn’t thought of that. Today she’s regressed even further. She’s hissing and combative. She Pushed her blanket all the way out of the carrrier and is directly on the carrier floor. So, I took the opportunity to pull it out and wash it (since we’re deworming). I put a towel back for now that I sprayed catnip on. She liked the catnip and was licking it, but hissing and batting at me.i just tucked it inside the front of the carrier. I also put a catnip towel under her food and water to see if that helps.

The larger “pen” arrived today. I don’t know whether to go ahead and try to move her the in next couple of days or wait until she settles back in again. I feel like if I move her this weekend, it’ll make it worse. But, if I wait, it’ll get worse all over again anyway.

She did so great the first week. I’m feeling really defeated today.

I wonder if she hissed because it was a new day and she didn't recognize the scents on you. Cats are ruled by scent. Maybe put on a shirt that you wore the day before and always put on clothes that already "smell" like you. In the morning when we are fresh showered and fresh clothes smells odd to her so that could be why she hissed.

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that I will “wear” her blanket for a bit before I put in back after it’s dried. Would that make sense.
The trapper thinks that I should consider returning her to where she was because she thinks it’s hopeless. She’s returning one of the sibs that she has because she’s thinks that’s what’s best. I’m not a quitter, but I’m so confused right now.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh please don't return her. It's only been a week. Feral cats need lots and lots of time and patience. As I mentioned above, the first feral I brought inside took a solid year to adjust to inside living. He spent the first year mostly in a room of his own. Now he is the sweetest cat I have ( I have 6).

You must have time and patience to work with feral cats. I can understand feeling defeated, but instead look at it from the perspective that you are saving her life. She will not have to live outside in a world that is dangerous. She will not have to worry about food and shelter.

I have also found that when working with feral cats, keep your goals very simple. They move at their own pace and by nature they are fearful of humans. This will not be undone overnight or in a weeks time. Each time you enter her room, talk softly and upbeat. Bring her something special. She will then associate you with something good. I used to make plain cooked chicken and keep bags of it in my freezer. Each time I went into the room, I would shake the bag and toss a few pieces. At first, he wouldn't touch it while i was there. Yet it was always gone the next time I went into the room. I often would sit on the floor and just toss small bites of chicken. I did this 3-5x a day.

I hope that you don't give up.

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement! I will not give up. I just needed to hear it from someone who has been successful. The trapper just wants hers to be happy. We have tried multiple rescues for both, but they’re all so overwhelmed. She’s going to be my baby now. :-) I am encouraging her to check out this forum for help.

I’m also struggling with balancing the needs of my 4 others who don’t understand why I’m locked in a room they can no longer enter with a strange cat rather than being with them. That’s why the initial interaction happened.

I will keep feeding with treats and be patient. I am hoping to get her a room of her own shortly, as well.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved earlier this year and brought my 3 feral outside boys that I had been feeding and sheltering for 8 years. They have never lived inside a home and are much older. It has been quite an adjustment. My other 3 cats also have not understood why I would go into a room with 3 other cats inside. Yet with time and patience it is possible.

I understand wanting the cats to be happy. Yet if there is a chance they can be socialized, inside is so much better. The cat may be upset for a few weeks and more confused. But the cat will learn to know what it's like to be loved. When outside, there are dangers around every corner. Caring for feral cats when they are outside is a very difficult task. There is always the constant worry.

Give it time. Here is a great video I used to help socialize a few of my former feral cats. It's a 3 part video series that shows the rescue and socialization of feral kittens. Even though they are kittens, many of the techniques apply to older feral cats too.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

Crazykittylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish that I had kept this thread updated regularly in case it helps someone else. Let me see if I can recap the past month or so.

I followed the advice above and spent a minimum of a couple of hours a day with her. I also used a mouse toy to draw her out and get her to interact. She started coming out and was eating with me in the room within a week or so. I would drag the toy across my lap and she would put her paws onto my legs to get it.

Within a couple of weeks she was fairly comfortable with my husband and me sitting in the room with her. We bought a gate so that we could open the door to her room when we were home and start letting her get used to the idea that there are other cats, and for our others to get used to the idea of her. One was willing to eat treats at her door and hiss before walking away. The others either wouldn’t go near the door when it was open or would run by and hiss. She always just looked at them. She would reach her paw under the gate to try to touch them. She never hissed at them at all.

She would trip out and hide and get smalll when I would pull her carrier out to clean it or when I would move things around in the room, or when company came.

A couple of weeks ago we started letting her out of her room while we were home. Then last week we started letting her out while we were at work.

This week she is no longer in her room and has full run of the house. She sleeps with us and the other cats. Our 6 yr old former feral seems to tolerate her a bit better than the others, but they all eat together with only occasional hissing.

She is affectionate and loves attention. My husband says leave it to me to get the cuddly feral. Lol.

Our struggles are that she’s a kitten and thinks everything including us is prey. Our hands are pretty beat up. But, she’s getting better and she has lots of toys. We did a production line with clipping the cats’ nails, and we picked her up and did hers without skipping a beat; although we did wrap her in a towel a little. Mostly to protect us from her back legs. She was nervous, but let us do it. I’m still stunned.

She still hides when other people come over or at lots of movement or noise, but she comes out very quickly when we call her. Her adjustment in only 6 weeks is nothing short of amazing.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading your thread and wanted to congratulate you on a great job with this kitty! I am in the middle of trying to socialize a semi-feral cat who has been inside in her safe room for about three months. I am seeing progress but it has been slow. I like reading stories like yours because they remind me to be patient and give me hope! Thanks for not giving up on this little girl!