Help Diagnosis on my 5 year Himalayan

Lizziec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old Himalayan named Leela.
For about a month and a half she has been having issues with runny stools, and occasional blood in her stool.
We took her to the vet right away, the vet figured she had a bug and she was put on metronidazole for 1 week twice a day and switched to a new easy digestive food.
Leela otherwise has no other symptoms she eats all her food, drinks and pees everyday. She isn't lethargic and is active and affectionate.
She continued to have runny/soft stools that smelled terrible and occasional blood in her stool, we took her back to the vet and this time they figured it was possibly stress due to a new kitten in the home (she is known to be very sensitive to change) and they recommended a stool sample if we wanted to continue to investigate. (the sample had to be litter free so it took some trying to get this sample)
Leela has had soft bloody stool for the last week everyday, and we finally got the sample results back today.

The vet called us today and said the panel showed that she tested Positive for Feline Corona Virus.
The vet is recommending metronidazole for another 3 weeks and monitoring but doesn't seem worried since she is eating and drinking normally and isn't losing weight.
Has anyone dealt with this before I tried googling it but I can find that many answers and I'm not sure what to think.
I added a picture of my sweet girl <3

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feline coronavirus is a respiratory thing much like the human one in the news right now. It can change into something more serious but in most cats they are just benign carriers. If you haven't had the kitten vaccinated and tested, you probably should. Your vet was probably just telling you so you know but it doesn't have much impact on the current digestive issues.

I have one who reacts poorly to stress, and I could see potty problems being just stress related. Have you changed the food she eats(or is she getting into the kittens food)? It could also be that she is developing sensitivity to her food as she ages. Personally, I would do the medication the vet is prescribing and ask about changing her diet to some novel protein (basically a protein she doesn't normally eat) to see if that helps.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your baby is gorgeous! Sending tons of good thoughts for her improvement!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizziec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feline coronavirus is a respiratory thing much like the human one in the news right now. It can change into something more serious but in most cats they are just benign carriers. If you haven't had the kitten vaccinated and tested, you probably should. Your vet was probably just telling you so you know but it doesn't have much impact on the current digestive issues.

I have one who reacts poorly to stress, and I could see potty problems being just stress related. Have you changed the food she eats(or is she getting into the kittens food)? It could also be that she is developing sensitivity to her food as she ages. Personally, I would do the medication the vet is prescribing and ask about changing her diet to some novel protein (basically a protein she doesn't normally eat) to see if that helps.
Yes I should add our kitten is up to date on all his vaccines :).