Help Describing New Foster Kitten's Markings/coloring

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My foster kitten has tabby stripes and poka dots on her stomach. She had red stripes on some of her body and black ones too. The stripe going down the center of her back is black but it does not start until about half way down her back and does not go all the way down her tail. She has cream colored tips on her back feet. Wide nose for her size, short legs and built very sturdy. She is in ♡ with my ginger ♡, he cleans her ginger stripes while she purrs. He is great with the foster kittens but these two have a strong bond. Nap and play together, she follows him around. BFFs from the very beginning.

I have never seen a cat with tabby stripes but also poka dots too. Her red stripes are cute, they blend to black dots.

From what I understand from posts on this site about Tortie and Torbies she has some of both?

What gentic combinations had to occur to give her the dilute cream color as well as white under her chin? Sweet gentle kitten, my heart is falling for her. A possible foster failure...

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would say she’s a broken mackeral torbie. Torbie being tortie tabby and broken mackeral meaning interrupted stripes (so then it looks like some stripes and spots). Most tabby patterned cats, classic, mackeral, or spotted will have spotted tummies. She’s very cute, and so is your ginger boy, of course! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not the best quality picture but you can see her stripes and dots variety. Also the stripe most tabbies have down their backs is not solid or the same color.

Attachments

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say she’s a broken mackeral torbie. Torbie being tortie tabby and broken mackeral meaning interrupted stripes (so then it looks like some stripes and spots). Most tabby patterned cats, classic, mackeral, or spotted will have spotted tummies. She’s very cute, and so is your ginger boy, of course! :redheartpump:

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, torbie. Its my experience, if a cat has a bewildering pattern you can hardly analyse, its because its a torbie. :)

It was to my relief I read its a she, it makes everything easier. Male torties/torbies do exist, but they are rare.

On the last pic, the white looks peculiar, almost sickly. But on the second photo we do see clearly its simply some of the hairs whom are white.

She looks lovely, and its nice to see the both cats are so good pals.

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chances the white and black kitten is her litter sibling? 5 were brought into the shelter together. The other two are mostly black with a little white.

I had never heard of torbies.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They could be whole siblings but two tabbies would be more convincing. NOW chance is they are half siblings. Two toms involved. Or momma spontan adopted one other.

Btw the red white seems to be a d-o-g. I guess a beagle. :)

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They could be whole siblings but two tabbies would be more convincing. NOW chance is they are half siblings. Two toms involved. Or momma spontan adopted one other.

Btw the red white seems to be a d-o-g. I guess a beagle. :)

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boxer mix, wonderful with the fosters but my ginger ♡ has a special bond with her.

I think they might have been scooped up off the street in the same area. The other 2 have no tabby stripes, 2 of the black kittens have subtle stripes.

Attachments

Jen2222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same age range but doubt her litter siblings.