HELP!!!! Crazy Cat

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's my little beans!!! Anyways first off I'd like to think I know how to raise and take care of my kitties but I'm writing cause I'm unsure how to fix these issues. I looove my cats they are truly my fur babies !!!! With that being said pickles the white and spotted little lady in that pic. Is my problem child.
We got her very young from a previous owner who found her in the garden, she had worms reaaaallly bad and needed several reworking treatments on top of that the women who owner her before feed her a raw diet. Needless to say she was in a state of constant hunger etc due to worms. (Not the raw diet) however we slowly switched her from raw to blue buffalo wet/dry mix. And she is now on just dry due to getting chunky.
Anyways I got ahead of myself she came home with us and did overall well, but she wouldnt ever stop eAting...she would eat things that were not food. AND THIS IS THE ISSUE. The main issue is her eating of none food items so far (she's only 1yrs.old) we haven't needed surgeries but she now has the master bedroom all to herself their is nothing in there but a scratching post, hard plastic ball toys, and a small blanket...why because she eats everything. Now I know people say she needs activities but we are going on 1/2 hr. long walks in the yard and around the block. Plus a 1/2 hr. Long play times where she pants due to being worked so hard...she STILL does it. I am at a loss as to what to do :( heeeelllppp

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all dry was wrong choice both for weight, to feel full, and to stop eating things that are not food, The poor girl was eating meat, and now she is eating cereal. That is the problem. She is not satisfied and feeling hungry. Put her on a quality grain free canned food and she will feel full and not eat strange objects. Dry food is NOT good for cats health.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all dry was wrong choice both for weight, to feel full, and to stop eating things that are not food, The poor girl was eating meat, and now she is eating cereal. That is the problem. She is not satisfied and feeling hungry. Put her on a quality grain free canned food and she will feel full and not eat strange objects. Dry food is NOT good for cats health.
The raw diet was really high protein, which helps to keep cats feeling satisfied. While I'm certainly not against feeding dry food, no one diet works for every single cat, and this doesn't seem to be working for your pretty girl.

Have you thought about different toys, as well? A laser pointer is a good way to exercise your cat. Kong makes tiny Kongs that you can stuff with canned food. Your cat can chew and work away at it, but not damage it. There's a "Slim Cat Ball" too, which can be stuffed with bits of freeze dried meat. She'll have to roll it around and play with it to get the food out (the ball itself is too large to eat).

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the other posters about dry food. It is more categorically dense ( more calories) than most wet food.
Given her background she may always be food centric, that is, always wanting food. Do you free feed or time free, strongly recommend the later.
Finally I would research a condition called Pica. It is psychological in nature and can be treated with drugs..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, kongs(she suprizingly hated I thought she would love it) all kinds of toys,including dog toys she chews through that semi hard plastic and eats the bits that fall off she doesn't just bite she chews incessantly in one spot till it breaks down the ones you put kibble into and they have to roll them around ....tons of toys and play time!
Also unfortunately the food no matter what she's being fed doesn't satisfy her not raw not wet not dry...she eats till she pukes and whines for more...there is something wrong. We tried the wet and didn't just quit due to weight issues she also was having loose stools etc. So dry is the only thing that works. It's a high protein grainfree dry food, 40% protein and no corn,soy,

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe she does have pica, but as far as I know there are not a lot of treatment options for pica....other than the drugs..which is where I'm thinking we may have to go. She is super food centric I believe from being so wormy when she was a baby she was always so hungry. That if she's not eating she is searching for food!

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd be super willing to do wet if it didn't give her the runs lol is there a food that is good wet with more fiber to it so as to avoid the poos lol sorry my other cat the handsome orange guy up their has ibs and gets the runs a lot unless we feed him this one dry food so I just have them both eating it may be I should do a mix for her.
We were doing two feedings one morning one night. A 1/4 cup dry morning and night and she would just scream (catterwhal) all day so now we do the full 1/2 cup in the morning. What's the best wet food to try