HELP COULD THIS STRAY KITTEN BE PREGNANT?

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new to the group and am searching for any help regarding a stray that is roaming around my property.
For the last couple of weeks I have been feeding and gaining the trust of this little kitty who was always wandering in my yard It was so thin and I took pity on it and started feeding and coaxing it onto my porch.
I have finally been able to pet and even pick her up. I am NOT a cat person so I know little about their cycles and such. I have noticed when picking her up that her teats are very long, pink and that her "udders" for lack of a better word are enlarged. Not sure if this means she has had a litter of kitten previously or if she could be pregnant now? I was able to get a couple photos before she took off. She is gorgeous I am sure she is a little tabby but her markings look almost like a bengal. She has stripes that are vertical as well as circles "bullseye pattern" on her side. Her paws are huge for such a little thing. Any help is appreciated.
20200629_091335.jpg

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any unspayed cat who's outside is almost certainly pregnant or nursing (or both!) this time of year. So now we have to figure out which one. Do her teats ever feel dampish? They do look like she's already had the litter, although some cats will look like that in late pregnancy. Does she look pregnant? If she's small, it should be fairly visible.

Can you get a pic looking down on her so we can see her body shape?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any unspayed cat who's outside is almost certainly pregnant or nursing (or both!) this time of year. So now we have to figure out which one. Do her teats ever feel dampish? They do look like she's already had the litter, although some cats will look like that in late pregnancy. Does she look pregnant? If she's small, it should be fairly visible.

Attachments

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard to see as she is very boney at all shoulders and has wispy long fur at all shoulders and belly

Attachments

Insanikitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she looks pregnant to me. Check her neck for Bite marks. Kittens can get pregnant at four months old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree her mammaries look like a nursing mom’s, but she could also be pregnant again also. I cannot determine from the pictures if her sides are bulging or not. Do you have any idea where she goes when she leaves?

Also, feed her well with both dry food and cans of wet food. She needs the nutrition whether nursing, pregnant, or both. Perhaps when you finally determine what her situation is you can bring her and any kittens inside for safety and eventual spaying and rehoming.

Thank you for taking an interest in her! :)

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no clue where she goes, she is a wanderer!! I think she goes somewhere behind my house and a back neighbours. Others have seen her in their backyard as well. When i very first saw her a cpl weeks ago i thought she looked pregnant so maybe she did give birth. I may have to follow her if i can. It is hard to tell with her because of those crazy wisps of long fur. She is a beautiful kitty i will keep an eye on her belly to see if iy grows and will continue to feed her (she does get wet and dry food)
I may get her in a crate and take her somewhere or see if anyone i know can take her in. I have 4 dogs who would NOT appreciate a kitty as well as 2 people in my house who wouldnt be able to breathe if i brought her inside.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not take her anywhere in a crate right now. It sounds like she may have kittens somewhere that she is nursing. If so, she will likely bring them to you in a few weeks when they are ready to wean to soft foods. If or when that happens you may be able to collect the whole family and get them to a no-kill shelter for care and rehoming rather than a city or county animal control unit that may put them down.

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not to worry! I wouldn't take her anywhere without first making sure she doesnt have kitties or isnt pregnant. If she is pregnant and i can confirm it in the next couple of weeks I will figure something out where she stays in my basement with my daughter until she has her babies and then i can rehome them all without them going to a shelter at all. I hope if she already had kitties that they are safe somewhere. I have checked my back shed and under the sunroom porch and there are no kitties. She is so tiny herself

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have nothing I can contribute to whether or not she is pregnant, nursing, or both. But, I will tell you she is beautiful! She is what is known as a classic tabby - although the labeling doesn't (in my mind) do justice for the markings. Classic tabbies have the swirl patterns, as she does, along with what almost looks like a 'bullseye' on their sides. There are other variations of tabbies based on their patterns, but this one is of particular fascination to me. Please take care of this darling!!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo is very pretty and very lucky to have met you.

Princessnessie76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She is a work in progress but is becoming more affectionate every day! I just wish i knew if she has kittens somewhere or if she is currently pregnant

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She is a work in progress but is becoming more affectionate every day! I just wish i knew if she has kittens somewhere or if she is currently pregnant

Try to see if you can follow her when she leaves your yard.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just be patient. You should know in the next couple of weeks. :)

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I agree, we need to be patient and find out as the result would impact a lot on what we do next.
If there are kittens, then you may need to help them.
When they are weaned and fully grown - it really depends on how they act/what you are able to offer.

If they are friendly, you might want to try to introduce them to your home or at least a clean, empty shed/wendy house in your garden. I know you have a basement but ideally you could have something that is more "outside" like where they are used to, but a basement might also be okay.
You could care for them a little to ensure that they are healthy and then when they are old enough find them good homes yourself. The people who take them in should agree to spaying and taking the kitten to checkups as well as giving it a loving home, as it is basically a stray and they need to know if it has any illnesses, and the kitten just generally need a checkup.
OR, you could, if/when you find the litter, contact your local no-kill animal/cat shelter and they would know what to do with it. This is a better option if you don't have the time and money to raise all the kittens and rehome them yourself, and also if you are worried you don't have enough experience or something like that.

If it were me I would personally try the first option as I have experience with litters and I would also be happy as I would know exactly who they would go to and make sure they get properly cared for, and I could contact that person directly if I want to discuss the kitten. 🙂