Help!! Constiption And Slightly Bleeding Anus? Does My Cat Have A Disease Or Is It Not Too Serious?

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 8 months old, I got him from craigslist about 3 weeks ago, and I noticed he only poops like really small amounts at a time, which are hard and almost pellet-like. I don’t really know too much about what cats poop should look like so I was like “Maybe that’s just how he poops” even though my other kitten doesn’t do that. Sorry if that sounds dumb but at first I didn’t think that much of it. Then i noticed he pooped like really slimy and slightly bloody poop, but it looked more normal(ish). I took him to the vet and got blood tests done and a dewormer. He doesn’t have any major feline diseases, so I thought he was fine. Now I noticed it seems like it might be even more difficult for him to poop and his butthole has gotten a bit swollen and it looks like at times there’s a little bit of blood coming out. I hope he doesn’t have anything major going on and all it is is constipation and is something fixable. I’m a pretty paranoid person but I’m also broke and won’t be able to afford it if it’s major. ): But I’ll add picture so here if it’s helpful- anyways, thank you so much for taking your time to read this!

Attachments

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that an unneuterrd butt? If so he needs to be neutered. Have you tried giving him some wet food to see if it helps with his constipation?

HillGS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation with my cat. She was spayed in mid October. I got a new kitten a few weeks later and about 3 weeks ago she became extremely constipated. I took her to the vet and she was massively blocked with poop! The vet did 2 enamas and gave her some meds to help her go to the bathroom. The enamas worked initially but now she's constipated all over again! The meds aren't working and at the same time she acts as if she's starving. I'm at my wits end here.

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you can give Miralax to constipated kitties! I am not sure how much but I’m sure a google search may give you the answer. Also, I recommend switching her to a wet food diet, that should definitely help.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are multiple approaches to consitpation depending on what you think the source is. What's his diet? Is it dry food? If so, he needs more moisture in his diet. Miralax can be given with a little water and it will pull moisture into the stools, softening them and making them easier to pass. Pumpkin will do the same but it will also add fibrous bulk if they need to be bulked up (like if they are runny or tiny stringy things.) If you think he just needs a little lubrication to get things going quicker, you can give him a small pat of butter. It's basically just going to grease the shoot. But if he is constipated because of fat or a hairball (a ball of hair bound by fat), then you can give him raw egg yolk to disolve the fat making the hair and everything blocked up behind it easier to pass.

Unless you also have runny poops, I would start with the Miralax. Otherwise pumpkin can be used for both constipation and loose stools, assuming he likes the taste of pumpkin. I'll give Krista a pat of butter when I can't convince her to eat pumpkin. And when her diet is more regular than it is right now, I also give her a maintenance dose of egg yolk powder to prevent hairball formation.