Help! Cats Hate My Homemade Food

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
bones in my instant pot and poured it on the cat food, but oddly enough they hated it.
Just to check, this was unseasoned?

My Poppycat has never seemed impressed with bone broth, I've tried several types/varieties. Oh well!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The younger cat, Maple, likes chewing on bones but I haven't given her one in a while. I'll have to give them both a bone and see what happens. My older cat, Smoky, isn't usually interested, but he has had commercial food for most of his life since I didn't know about homemade cat food. I had to take him to the vet this year for constipation and he wasn't eating well because of his teeth. The vet said they may need to remove most of his teeth. I took him back home, canceled the next vet appointment, and bought kelp powder after some research. I started giving him the powder and his teeth problems cleared up fast and he eats fine now, he regained the weight he lost. I learned how to make cat food so he wouldn't be so sick again because I was giving him enemas at home and my dad thought he had died one morning. He's doing so much better now.
I did make chicken stock out of the bones in my instant pot and poured it on the cat food, but oddly enough they hated it. I plan on making more anyway and if they don't take to it I'll use it for something else.
It is always helpful in a culinary sense (for human meals) to have "ice cubes" of stock bagged up to add flavor and depth to dishes, so if the cat doesn't go for it--there are other uses.

Furballsmom Furballsmom makes a great point that "cat broth" should be unseasoned. No salt, onions, or garlic.

Every cat is different, but mine is especially receptive to lapping up stock as an in-between meal snack.

Bill