help - cat poops himself in the car every time...

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my male (neutered) 2yo Siberian Forest cat poops himself every time he has to get in the car.  He has long hair, and it's just a MESS.  I bought a large dog sized crate for the back of my SUV, roomy enough for a litter box and a cat bed.  Last time I transported him in that, hoping he'd go in the litter box.  Nope, it's like he doesn't even know he's pooping.  I guess he's just so scared, it all just comes out.  Sometimes its (sorry tmi) mushy and stuck all over his fur, sometimes it's just pellets.  So it's like whatever is in him is coming out, but he's not squatting so he's just sitting in it.  

We're going away for a long weekend next month, and I've always kenneled them (in a nice kennel 3 miles from my house).  I'm considering leaving him and his sister (same age, same breeder) home alone, and having my mom come once a day for them.  He can't even make it 3 miles to the kennel without pooping.  He started this a few months ago - we've had him since he was a baby, and he's been kenneled and to the vet many times, so it's sort of a new behavior.

The only thing I'm worried about is… one of them (I think it's him, but not 100% sure) has peed inappropriately a few times.  The last time was 3 weeks ago, on my dining room rug.  The 2 cats have 6 litter boxes around the house (4 in the basement and 1 on each of our 2 screened in porches).  I clean the boxes every day.  I'm afraid they'll be lonely and pee where I won't find it for who knows how long.  

So, are they better off in the kennel, pooping himself on the way over and back home, then being left home alone?  I'd much rather kennel them, so I don't have to bother my mom, and I feel like they're safer there, and I don't have to worry about him peeing inappropriately (although I also worry he'll be so angry when he gets home from the kennel that he'll pee somewhere because of that).  

And the vet and kennel woman really had no suggestions for the pooping himself issue, the vet said I could drug him, but he may still poop so it's probably not worth it.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you already mentioned, this is a stress response from being in the car. Some cats will defecate and/or urinate each time they are taken in the car for a ride. The only suggestion would be to take the cat to the car while in the garage each day and offer him treats, pets, etc. to try to desensitize the cat to the car. My feeling, though, with your male cat that he will never be comfortable going in the car for any reason and no matter how much you try to work with him without the car moving. You could give him a sanitary shave before hand to help with cleanup.

I would keep the cats at home and have your mother come in OR a pet sitter. As for the inappropriate peeing, a vet visit is definitely in order for both cats since you don't know which one is having the issue. A medical problem needs to be addressed before a behavioral problem is to blame. If medical is ruled out then I would see if something is stressing your cat in the house. It sounds like you have ample litter boxes but I would make sure you are using a litter that he is comfortable using. Are you scooping enough? Changing out the litter periodically? These are just some suggestions to try to get to the bottom of one of your cats peeing out of the box.

I think the bigger issue is the inappropriate urination in the house (which needs to be addressed) rather than the pooping when in a car (which will most likely not be able to change.) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

It is also important to remove all lingering urine smell from the carpets or the cat will continue to return to those spots.
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

Last edited:

inka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats poop themselves in the car too. As @Feralvr  wrote, it is a stress response. 

With some exceptions, cats in general experience big stress when on car rides, while many dogs actually like it so I've been told.

I made a mistake once taking mine with me on a long trip abroad in the car, in a nice big kennel, just like you describe, 2 cats together - pooping themselves, vomiting and scratching each other, couldn't wait to get there and let the poor cats into the summer house that we rented. 

Turns out a small kennel may actually work better for car rides, the smaller space, the more safe it feels for a cat in situations like this.

Shaving is a great idea. I also use these paper pads for the kennel (you can get these in pet stores) if we have to go on a car ride, and unscented baby wipes. Whenever I smell an accident, try to stop first place I can, then without opening any door (just in case) I change the pad and wash the cat's behind with the wipes, and dispose all in a closed plastic bag. 

If a longer trip is necessary, some calming drug from your vet will help your cat, I would recommend giving your cat less than prescribed as some cats get pretty much knocked out from these drugs and it takes them long time to get the medicine out of their system.

As for the pee on your dining room rug, when any medical issue is ruled out, maybe you could try on placing one of the litter boxes somewhere within your living area...? Since all the boxes are outside regular living area, maybe the cats feel the need to mark something with their scent so that they can make a point the home is their territory too.

I didn't know about it, got to hear in one of Jackson Galaxy's video on YT for a few days ago, and it makes sense.

Here is the video, lots of info on litter box politics and what a litter box means for a cat (from 3:00):

Good luck and hope it can help and your kitties stop eliminating outside the litter box soon