Help! Cat Peeing On Side Of Litter Box??

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One (or maybe a couple) of my cats are peeing on the INSIDE of the litter box but like on the side?? So it doesn't really hit the litter. It also seeps in between the crevice between the top and bottom of the box and into the latches. Which is sticky, smelly, and disgusting.

The boxes smell horrible. I've never had this issue before now.

The boxes we have now are pretty sizeable. Maybe like an 8 inch high bottom and they're enclosed.

Any advice welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
What about getting a large storage tub, cut an access area and either fill the bottom with litter or set a separate regular litterbox inside.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our guy Gohan does this ... I think it’s just their “style”, I don’t think much can be done about it. It guarantees we need covered boxes. Furballsmom Furballsmom had a great suggestion for the storage tub, since there is no crease around that area.

We use the Van Ness large size covered litterboxes, and it’s not a huge issue other than it’s a little harder to clean up when it doesn’t hit the litter or is in the corner.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Jackson Galaxy called it ‘elevator but’? It is when they pee standing up, with their buts right next to the wall of the litter box.

I would try the tub. At my mom’s we are now using two storage tubs because they work so well for her (& my) litter kickers, plus her baby girl who sometimes likes to poop over the edge. I brought one tub to try, it worked so well, I brought her a second tub. I would look for a tub that is smooth inside (no indentations) If you can find one, it makes it easier to clean.

:goodluck:

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls does this too, we have enclosed litterboxes too. I just wipe the sides and the edges of the top and bottom with a lysol wipe or wet paper towel every time I scoop to minimize the pee stink as best I can. I think it's just the way she goes, I had another cat who would put all 4 feet on the edge of the front open part of the box and pee with her butt hanging just inside the box. They all have their 'styles' I guess. :headscratch:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat pees standing up. Her litterbox is from a storage bin 18" high 21 in length I think.. She hits the 13 inch mark. I would not use a covered. I had to throw that litter box away. Stunk with pee sticking on it. Odor has never been a problem. Just be sure to use lots

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby pees against the inside walls of the litter box too. When I first got her I had a not covered, but 2 piece litter box, and her peeing against the sides meant pee leaked through the seams and onto the floor. :( I ended up getting rid of that litter box and buying a larger, high sided one, and though she still pees against the inner sides of the litter box, everything stays inside the litter box.

Not sure, though, if there's a solution when you have a 2-piece covered litter box. :sigh:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
For me, a high sided litter box worked but I would not hesitate to get the storage box if that worked. I agree that not having seams of any kind keeps it a lot more sanitary. One of my males would begin to pee, raise his butt as he did so, and then hose down the rest of the room....classic elevator butt.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One (or maybe a couple) of my cats are peeing on the INSIDE of the litter box but like on the side?? So it doesn't really hit the litter. It also seeps in between the crevice between the top and bottom of the box and into the latches. Which is sticky, smelly, and disgusting.

The boxes we have now are pretty sizeable. Maybe like an 8 inch high bottom and they're enclosed.

Any advice welcome.
Have you tried using similarly sized large boxes but ones which are NOT covered or enclosed? Some cats really struggle moving around inside covered boxes, and if several cats use the box, the odor(s) trapped inside there may be making them react a bit differently in how they sit, squat (or stand!) to pee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't believe its a health issue. It's been going on for a couple years. It recently became a more significant problem with the addition of a male kitten...however I've never actually seen him do it. Or any of them for that matter.

I think I'm going to try making my own enormous litter box out of a storage bin. Hopefully then I can just easily wipe it off the sides.

Thanks for everyone who offered advice!!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any advice welcome.
Get a rubbermaid tote. About the footprint of normal litter box, but, tall enough for a cat to stand in without touching the lid. Cut a round hole in the middle of the lid about 10 to 12" diameter.
The rubbermaid totes are sturdy and flexible so it will last. The bottom and sides are not so overly corrugated that scooping is impossible.
We have one that stands and pees and this is the best thing we've found that works.