Help! Cat Missing For Two Weeks.

kaonashihome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our sweet girl, Kaonashi, ran away from home two weeks ago (May 22) and has not returned yet. We spotted her twice near our home within 3 days after she ran away, tried to catch her but she was so nervous that she scratched us badly and ran back into the bushes. The only option left is animal trap, we have been trying to trap her for 10 days but she still did not walk into the trap (she's a formal TNR cat so I guess she might be quite trap-savvy). We tried to camouflage the trap, spray Feliway, etc. We are concerned that (1) she was so scared that she might have gone further away (2) we are setting up traps in wrong places (3) since she's a former TNR-ed free-roam cat, she might be reluctant to go back home.We are being emotionally tortured for this cardinal member of our family and need suggestions from this board. Thanks very much in advance!

About her:
(1) female Russian blue, was a TNR-ed cat before we adopted her (I guess she was taken back to animal shelter because of wounds in her eyes and parasites problem. She's completely cured after that).
(2) strictly indoor after adoption.
(3) cohabitat with another of ours (female American shorthair), and get along well.
(4) a sweet lap cat.

Please allow me to illustrate in detail in chronological order.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
May 22 (Tuesday) gone missing. Distributed a lot of fliers, offline and online.
May 23 (Wedsday) got a trap. set up near our apartment.
May 24 (Thursday) spotted her for the first time at our apartment door. She didn't seem to recognize us and ran away into the bushes.
May 25 (Friday) spotted her for the second and third time. She went really berserk when we tried to touch her, scratched us badly, and ran back into the bushes.
May 26 (Sat) got a second trap. Set up in the bushed area we spotted her. Got nothing so far.

---------------
Here's a google map of our surrondings (direct link: ).

map.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaonashihome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The forum does not allow me to post a google map link in the main body. Here it is the coordinate: 42°17'29.4"N 83°43'57.2"W. Paste into google maps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaonashihome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's microchipped, btw. But did not wear a collar.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For goodness' sake, if you are not already doing so, KEEP CHECKING WITH ANIMAL CONTROL and local vets! Even microchipped, sometimes owners don't get notified properly. Especially at shelters which are often understaffed and overworked.

I wonder if you might try a different type of trap...maybe a drop trap (but you'll have to babysit it) or something that she might not be familiar with. And try baiting with warmed tuna. It's a rare cat that can resist that fishy scent!