Help! Cat is very aggressive :((

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the long post, but I’m very desperate for advice. ;(

About 6 days ago, I found a kitten (4-5 weeks old) living in our front yard. Fed her and kept an eye on her, hoping her mom was nearby. She stayed in our front yard alone until I caught her around 2 days ago.

Unfortunately, I already own a 7 month old cat and am not planning on taking in another. She’s a very calm kitten and I’ve been keeping her ONLY in one of my rooms that my original cat hardly explores. I’m planning on keeping her only for a week or two so I can socialize and care for her, then find someone to adopt her.

However, I have a bigger problem. My 7 month old cat began acting VERY aggressively. She is normally a hyper yet EXTREMELY friendly cat. She has never hissed at me UNTIL I brought in the kitten.

I already know about some cats being aggressive towards others. Every time I touch the new kitten, I change my clothes and wash my hands so she will not feel uncomfortable will a different cat’s scent. However, my cat is still extremely on edge. She’s not as hyper/playful, she won’t cuddle or lay by me, and she’ll start randomly hissing at anyone (even during feeding times!).

I’ve tried giving her her favorite foods and toys but she simply won’t stop being aggressive. I feel so bad that she is stressed. She’s never acted like this before. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been about a week. Your older cat is very stressed there is a newcomer in the house, so much so that washing, etc. won't help because she KNOWS it is there. You might try exchanging some blankets to get used to the smells. Kittens that young are readily more acceptable to older cats than adults. You might try putting the kitten in a carrier or wire dog kennel so your cat can see and get used to what she has been smelling, Females are more aggressive than males when a newcomer comes because they are the limit setters, the disciplinarian, and anything that disturbs the order of their little world bothers them tremendously. Give your cat room, don't try to keep her from doing anything she wants to do, she is distracted and upset. This will change in time, in time she would take the little one under her wing and teach her limits and her rules. This is not a permanent thing, it almost always happens. time is all you need....

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive had luck with sentry calming spray. It is very effective for me on older kittens (6-12mo) too because it has mother cat pheromones. You could try spraying your blanket or area that your 7 month old stays in. It has a calming affect.