Help. Cat Has Urinary Crystals

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone!!

I recently found this site and love All the information. I have two cats, brother and sister from the same litter. My boy, Cheddar, started licking his genitals non stop this week maybe Monday.. by Wednesday the poor guy was peeing all over the house just couldn’t control himself. I took him to the vet on an emergency visit, and under urinalysis he showed crystals, a little blood, and a little white blood cells. But no stones under an x-ray. I believe they gave me an antibiotic, a pain reliever, and something to help with the inflammation if I’m correct. They also gave me the Royal Canin SO, and I opted for the wet instead of dry since they said dehydration can be one of the causes. They told me to watch because he could block still, but sent me home. Seemed like he was doing okay the next day Thursday. But by Friday, I came home in the afternoon and he was starting to block, really crying and pushing. So I called the vet immediately because everything online says how serious these blocks are. And I don’t want anything bad to happen to him. So I got to the vet, and when he felt his bladder said he wasn’t quite blocked, he was just inflamed and felt like he had a full bladder that was why he was straining so hard to go. But they wanted to admit him with the catheter and IV fluid, and they said this was about a 5 day stay. That way he could be flushed out completely and not straining uncomfortable at home. My only problem is that my vet is not 24 hours, and I was having trouble with the fact that no one would be there for about 10-12 hours, and especially since it was the weekend. I took some time to think at the office, and just decided I didn’t want my baby to be in pain as much as it scared me to leave him there alone, and they offered to bring him back in so I could see him before he was admitted. I was just petting him and loving him, and all of a sudden he peed!!! I was so happy and in that pee was a crystal I guess. But once that came out he peed ALOT. I was so relieved he wasn’t blocked anymore and asked if he still had to stay. I just feel a lot more comfortable watching him at home where I know I can keep my eye on him 24/7. He said that was fine, gave him a steroid shot to help with the inflammation, and some subcanteous fluids, and we made it home. Upon getting home I started to second guess my opinion on bringing him home. Did I make the wrong call by not allowing him to just get his system flushed out and maybe save him time in his recovery process? He has been doing the best yet I believe. He’s still going in the litter box, small amounts but not pushing nearly as hard as he was. He’s not having any accidents on the floor. He’s eating. He’s not quite drinking out of his dish, but I’ve been so paranoid about his liquids I add a few ounces to his wet food every time he eats so I think he’s getting enough there. With all that being said, I did call the vet last night and asked if I decided I wanted to re-admit him in the morning could I? And they said yes the earlier the better. So I am just seeing if I did the right thing? Or if anyone who has had cats having crystals who did okay without ever needing a catheter? I really just want to do whatever is best for my baby, and I just want him to be safe and sound and all better in the end.

The picture is the “crystal” he pushed out. I tried to place my finger next to it for size reference if this helps anyone.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I’m gonna be switching my female, Charlie, over to a wet food diet so they both are on the proper diet for prevention of any future problems. What’s the best recommended brand that has the most moisture?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About three years ago, one our cats, Stretch had the same problem. He required the catheter to flush out his bladder, plus IV fluids to rehydrate. Since then, he has been on Hills Prescription C/D dry food. It is expensive, but he has had no recurrence of his problem since

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:grouphug2:

Medical emergencies with our cats can be so scary. I haven't had to deal with crystals and blockage before, thank goodness. But I think if I was in your place and could afford to I would do the vet stay. Even though the vet staff won't be there overnight the fluids will probably go a long way towards making sure he is fully cleared out for the time being. My recent experience with constipation was similar. My boy pooped right when I was ready to take him back to the vet, emergency over thought me. Less then a day later we were right back at the same place because really it was just part of the problem. My vet did an overnight stay and enema before he was good to go home. Despite the vet stay being hard, it did greatly help his recovery.

Since you are looking at longer then one night, you can ask about visiting during the stay. When my boy had a five day vet stay (yes, same boy. He is just special) I went by everyday to check on him. I also probably drove the staff crazy by calling each morning and right before closing to check on him. By the end I was hearing "our boy is doing well" type statements and two years later I am still well known by the staff. But it made me feel.better and I assume my boy as well.

As for after the vet stay, from what I've heard from other on here, you'll want to keep up on the urinary tract wet diet for a few months. It has components that help prevent crystals from forming. It is expensive and some members have switched to a different all wet high quality diet once they do a recheck with no problems in the urine. If you go that route I'd also recommend another recheck a few months after switching just to make sure nothing has changed with the diet change.

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress.

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:grouphug2:

Medical emergencies with our cats can be so scary. I haven't had to deal with crystals and blockage before, thank goodness. But I think if I was in your place and could afford to I would do the vet stay. Even though the vet staff won't be there overnight the fluids will probably go a long way towards making sure he is fully cleared out for the time being. My recent experience with constipation was similar. My boy pooped right when I was ready to take him back to the vet, emergency over thought me. Less then a day later we were right back at the same place because really it was just part of the problem. My vet did an overnight stay and enema before he was good to go home. Despite the vet stay being hard, it did greatly help his recovery.

Since you are looking at longer then one night, you can ask about visiting during the stay. When my boy had a five day vet stay (yes, same boy. He is just special) I went by everyday to check on him. I also probably drove the staff crazy by calling each morning and right before closing to check on him. By the end I was hearing "our boy is doing well" type statements and two years later I am still well known by the staff. But it made me feel.better and I assume my boy as well.

As for after the vet stay, from what I've heard from other on here, you'll want to keep up on the urinary tract wet diet for a few months. It has components that help prevent crystals from forming. It is expensive and some members have switched to a different all wet high quality diet once they do a recheck with no problems in the urine. If you go that route I'd also recommend another recheck a few months after switching just to make sure nothing has changed with the diet change.

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress.

Thank you so much for your advice! I am the same way. I have called every day, multiple times since the has been happening. And just like you said with your cat, I’m worried that first pass was only part of the problem. They know how worried I am and I’ve already talked to them this morning so they know he might be admitted today still. Just so hard to leave my baby alone and unattended for that long. I just would never forgive myself if anything happened. But the same goes for being at home too. Sigh. Thank you again!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say, is that I trust my vet, and if my vet thought it was OK for my baby to be monitored at home, I would do it.:thumbsup:
We have had 2 separate cats who've had urinary problems. Our first experience was with struvite crystals in our youngest. He never completely blocked though.
He was put on a Hills C/D (prescription diet) and has been on it ever since. The only time he had recurrences was when we tried changing his diet to something different/better(less fillers and carbs). So unfortunately it's a no go for a different food.:gaah:
One thing I want to mention, long term use of the S/O, to my knowledge, is not good because it can cause oxalate stones to form. Be sure to ask your vet when you go back for a recheck (to make sure the crystals are gone) about switching to the C/D, if you (and your vet) think he needs to be on a prescription diet long term.
-------------------------------

Our other cat did block, but he had idiopathic cystitis. There were a small amount of crystals present, but they formed AFTER, due to urine staying "stagnant" in his bladder. His blockage was due to the spasms and inflammation of his bladder and urethra.:(
We had to have him catheterized for 5 days. When we brought him home he was not peeing very well, but the vet said that as long as he WAS peeing, and the "pee sizes" were not getting smaller, we were fine. It took over a month before the inflammation and spasms were gone and he was able to get some control back (being catheterized can cause incontinence for a short time).
The size of his pees in the litter box were only about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, eventually they grew bigger to 2 inches and 2.5 inches, but as I said, it took well over a month.
Our cat who blocked was on a few medications during that time period as well. He was on an anti-inflammatory, an anti-spasm, a relaxant and for his appetite, an anti-depressant (anti-depressants have an appetite stimulant effect in cats). Did your vet give you any medications to help with the inflammation other than the shot in the office?
So....long story, (not so) short :dizzy: ) If you trust your vet, and trust that you can watch your kitty diligently to ensure his peeing habits continue and do not regress, I would keep him at home, but as I said, I trust MY vet and because I already had experience with urinary problems, I knew what to watch for.
Good luck with everything! I'll be thinking of you!
:goodluck::heartshape:

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I can say, is that I trust my vet, and if my vet thought it was OK for my baby to be monitored at home, I would do it.:thumbsup:
We have had 2 separate cats who've had urinary problems. Our first experience was with struvite crystals in our youngest. He never completely blocked though.
He was put on a Hills C/D (prescription diet) and has been on it ever since. The only time he had recurrences was when we tried changing his diet to something different/better(less fillers and carbs). So unfortunately it's a no go for a different food.:gaah:
One thing I want to mention, long term use of the S/O, to my knowledge, is not good because it can cause oxalate stones to form. Be sure to ask your vet when you go back for a recheck (to make sure the crystals are gone) about switching to the C/D, if you (and your vet) think he needs to be on a prescription diet long term.
-------------------------------

Our other cat did block, but he had idiopathic cystitis. There were a small amount of crystals present, but they formed AFTER, due to urine staying "stagnant" in his bladder. His blockage was due to the spasms and inflammation of his bladder and urethra.:(
We had to have him catheterized for 5 days. When we brought him home he was not peeing very well, but the vet said that as long as he WAS peeing, and the "pee sizes" were not getting smaller, we were fine. It took over a month before the inflammation and spasms were gone and he was able to get some control back (being catheterized can cause incontinence for a short time).
The size of his pees in the litter box were only about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, eventually they grew bigger to 2 inches and 2.5 inches, but as I said, it took well over a month.
Our cat who blocked was on a few medications during that time period as well. He was on an anti-inflammatory, an anti-spasm, a relaxant and for his appetite, an anti-depressant (anti-depressants have an appetite stimulant effect in cats). Did your vet give you any medications to help with the inflammation other than the shot in the office?
So....long story, (not so) short :dizzy: ) If you trust your vet, and trust that you can watch your kitty diligently to ensure his peeing habits continue and do not regress, I would keep him at home, but as I said, I trust MY vet and because I already had experience with urinary problems, I knew what to watch for.
Good luck with everything! I'll be thinking of you!
:goodluck::heartshape:

Thank you so much! He does have an a anti-inflammatory medicine, I believe it’s prazoin? They told me that’s the most Important thing he takes. As of now I’m checking on him, and his pee is still small about 1 inch spots like you said. But what I’ve really noticed improvement in is him not contracting or spasming if that’s the correct turn. When he was trying to go before you could just see his mid section bunch up and I felt so bad for him. He’s been eating great, but still worried I’m not giving him enough fluid. And putting it in his food I’m worried he might be getting used to it that way bc he hasn’t really drank any water out of the few bowls I have out for him. I still keep changing it too. When he started to block the first time though, that was just very scary. And it’s so hard, bc every cat is different, no one really knows if they will again or won’t. I’ve also read how some cats have crystals and the diet alone helped, I guess kinda like your guy. But thank you so much for your reply.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s been eating great, but still worried I’m not giving him enough fluid. And putting it in his food I’m worried he might be getting used to it that way bc he hasn’t really drank any water out of the few bowls I have out for him. I still keep changing it too.
Have you tried getting him a water fountain? Something else to consider is what type of bowl you're using. One of my cats prefers drinking out of a shallow, wide, stainless steel bowl, the other likes bowls with "edges" that capture water drops and I have to keep it full to the top. My last one is the fountain guy, and prefers when I put ice cubes in it. :gaah:
All of them will use the fountain though.
Any bowl that I've ever used needed to be at least 2 times wider than their head including the width of their whiskers.
You could slowly start adding less and less water to his food and just watch if he starts to drink again???? Then you'll know if he is still going to be interested in drinking, and if not, try the different bowls or fountain.
But what I’ve really noticed improvement in is him not contracting or spasming if that’s the correct turn
That's great that he's not straining any more, :yess:it means he does not have to really force to get a stream going. But of course, with the inflammation still present it can take some time for you notice "bigger" pees. If you see him straining again or going to the box with "no success" bring him back in asap.

I know it is VERY stressful, I don't think I ever thought that I would be peeping tom to my cats bathroom habits, and the diligence really never goes away, because, as you said, you never know if it will come back, but eventually the worry does go away and it just becomes habit to do a quick once over of the litter boxes before scooping. Once you've experienced urinary problems, instinct really kicks in, if it happens again. It took weeks before we noticed with Hank (crystals) but when Chewie had a blockage, we just knew right away, and it saved his life. Same when we tried Hank on different foods, always within 24 hours, we knew if the crystals came back.
I'm sure you'll do fine as a cat nurse. And you doing great so far. And we are here if you need anything else.:cheerleader::rock:

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much Jem. This reply was very helpful. I am hoping to get a fountain today. And thanks for the tip about sizes of bowls I never would have thought of that. I’ve got different materials. But maybe a wider bowl will help. And not that it’s good he’s inflamed, but that kind of relieves me. I am constantly over his shoulder every time he’s peeing and I truly am just so worried. I just don’t want to miss the beginning of a block. How long did it take your cats to heal from their urinary issues? Everyone keeps saying every cat is different, and I guess I understand that. But being my first time dealing with this problem, maybe I’m just being impatient, But everything just seems so unknown. He’s been eating the urinary food, but no one knows for sure ( or at least no one has been able to tell me ) how long it takes to dissolve the crystals. Cheddar has been taking meds, since Wednesday night. So we are about to have our 7th round of anitbiotic, anti-inflammatory, and pain med. I’m also worried about leaving him alone if I’m at work. I’ve been lucky to have some time off and breaks in between. Just don’t want to miss anything. :sigh: He’s also still a little lethargic it seems. I’m just wondering when he will get back to being his lovey, playful self.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Hank, it took about 2 weeks being on the food and an antibiotic for him to start using his litter box again. I take that (using the litter box) as he was no longer in pain, so no more crystals.
For Chewie, well that's a whole other issue. He was catheterized for 5 days, which can cause incontinence (random leaking in his case) and he had idiopathic cystitis (stress caused inflammation and muscle spasms of the whole bladder and urethra), the crystals only formed after because his urine was staying in his bladder too long. It was almost a month before he had full control of his bladder and another month or so before his pee sizes made it 2 (sometimes 2.5) inches consistently.
Chewie has never had a re-occurrence. Hank has, but only when we tried to take him off his food.:yess:
If he is still taking the pain meds, that could be why he is lethargic. But keep in mind, on top of the meds, he's not feeling well, once he's better I'm sure he'll bounce back. :jump:
Sleep is how the body heals itself, (for humans too, so don't get too stressed and make sure YOU sleep too!!!!:sleep:) so it's natural when one is sick to be tired. Let it (sleep) happen, honestly, the fact that he is peeing (even if small) eating, no longer straining and hopefully enjoying your company is great.:catlove:
I would try not to stress too much. And even IF he blocks at the EXACT moment you are gone for those few hours, just bring him in when you see it. My Chewie was blocked (we think) for approximately 9 hours before we could see the vet.
I made sure that everything was clean (litter box, pee pads, floor) every single time I left the house, so when I got back I would know if he peed or leaked. If you are watching him, I'm sure you have a good idea about how many times he's been going in a day, give or take a pee or so (lately, not before he was sick).
It seems like Cheddar is doing well (in my opinion) and so are you.:thumbsup:
Feel free to ask me anything about my experience, I don't mind.:D

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy had stones. One time he was blocked for the entire weekend. I had nowhere I could take him. He survived, but the vet was very concerned that he had kidney damage from being blocked for that long of a period. He did not. He was 8 when he had his first block. I just put him down today at 16. He was on feline K/D for 8 years and once he started it never blocked again. It is very expensive food.

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For Hank, it took about 2 weeks being on the food and an antibiotic for him to start using his litter box again. I take that (using the litter box) as he was no longer in pain, so no more crystals.
For Chewie, well that's a whole other issue. He was catheterized for 5 days, which can cause incontinence (random leaking in his case) and he had idiopathic cystitis (stress caused inflammation and muscle spasms of the whole bladder and urethra), the crystals only formed after because his urine was staying in his bladder too long. It was almost a month before he had full control of his bladder and another month or so before his pee sizes made it 2 (sometimes 2.5) inches consistently.
Chewie has never had a re-occurrence. Hank has, but only when we tried to take him off his food.:yess:
If he is still taking the pain meds, that could be why he is lethargic. But keep in mind, on top of the meds, he's not feeling well, once he's better I'm sure he'll bounce back. :jump:
Sleep is how the body heals itself, (for humans too, so don't get too stressed and make sure YOU sleep too!!!!:sleep:) so it's natural when one is sick to be tired. Let it (sleep) happen, honestly, the fact that he is peeing (even if small) eating, no longer straining and hopefully enjoying your company is great.:catlove:
I would try not to stress too much. And even IF he blocks at the EXACT moment you are gone for those few hours, just bring him in when you see it. My Chewie was blocked (we think) for approximately 9 hours before we could see the vet.
I made sure that everything was clean (litter box, pee pads, floor) every single time I left the house, so when I got back I would know if he peed or leaked. If you are watching him, I'm sure you have a good idea about how many times he's been going in a day, give or take a pee or so (lately, not before he was sick).
It seems like Cheddar is doing well (in my opinion) and so are you.:thumbsup:
Feel free to ask me anything about my experience, I don't mind.:D

Thanks so much! I definitely feel more calm now that the weekend has passed. I almost thought I was going to have him catheterized (if that’s a word :crazy: ) today just to get the crystals out, but honestly since he has passed the big one he has seemed okay. He’s been using the litter box no problem since then, but still tiny amounts, they look small like a penny but when I scoop I would say they are maybe about 1 inch in diameter. What food did you give to hank? Cheddar is eating Royal Canin SO “gel” ... but I think I’ve read mixed things about cats eating it long term. I’m going to ask my vet about this. I also want to find a food for both of my cats, they seem to always want to eat each other’s :doh2:.. but thanks so much for the support. It really does help :rock:

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy had stones. One time he was blocked for the entire weekend. I had nowhere I could take him. He survived, but the vet was very concerned that he had kidney damage from being blocked for that long of a period. He did not. He was 8 when he had his first block. I just put him down today at 16. He was on feline K/D for 8 years and once he started it never blocked again. It is very expensive food.

I’m so sorry to hear that...:sniffle: but 16 Year’s seems like a good amount of time you got to spend with him :hearthrob: I will have to look into the feline K/D. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My 14+ yo Feeby has been on a dry & canned combo of Royal Canin So and Hill Prescription Urinary C/D for the past 8 years. She had bladder surgery, due to stones, back then; but, she has been stone free since. Those foods may not work for all, but they appear to have done the trick for Feeby. Hope you find your solution.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hank eats Hill's CD both wet and dry - it's the only thing that keeps his crystals at bay. We don't like the ingredients very much but anytime we tried a better quality food, that SHOULD have prevented crystal formation, after a couple of months or so they would come back.:doh2:

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Cheddar: he was seeming to really improve, but now he’s not really eating. Other than that he’s acting normal. Still doing small amounts in the litter box but I’m so petrified about him becoming dehydrated. I’m also a little frustrated bc the ladies At the vet said his Royal Canin SO is “prescription” so I really shouldn’t be mixing anything with it, and that he’s going to have to eat it for life. They also said I can’t let my other girl cat have it since it’s only prescribed to him. When I first was giving it to him I was putting water in it and he was eating it no problem, like two cans a day, now he’s barely eating half a can. I am so scared that something else is wrong. I did order a fountain and it will be here tomorrow. But most of my reading says they need a moisture rich diet. Any tips, suggestions?? Anything to help.:sniffle:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have nothing to suggest regarding his eating less and not peeing more; I hope others have ideas on that. Would guess he is still not feeling his best. Hope it's not because he has more crystals to pass... You might want to back off on the added water and see if he eats more that way - it may be too much liquid in the canned food at this point.

And, I think your vet's office is being a bit ridiculous about telling you not to mix Royal Canin SO with anything else - as I said Feeby has been eating that plus Hill's Prescription C/D - both canned and dried, for 8 years. I don't know where you are located, but I get all of it at PetSmart - and their vet on duty just renews the scrip every time it runs out; so, no need to go to the vet for it. I would guess it is a tad bit cheaper than getting it at the vet's office, but I don't know by how much. May be able to get it even cheaper online...

I'd also make sure that you re-ask here, if need to, about your girl cat eating it - and whether or not that is really a problem. It may not be, so that would help about them eating each other's food.

Good luck with the fountain. Hope that helps!

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have nothing to suggest regarding his eating less and not peeing more; I hope others have ideas on that. Would guess he is still not feeling his best. Hope it's not because he has more crystals to pass... You might want to back off on the added water and see if he eats more that way - it may be too much liquid in the canned food at this point.

And, I think your vet's office is being a bit ridiculous about telling you not to mix Royal Canin SO with anything else - as I said Feeby has been eating that plus Hill's Prescription C/D - both canned and dried, for 8 years. I don't know where you are located, but I get all of it at PetSmart - and their vet on duty just renews the scrip every time it runs out; so, no need to go to the vet for it. I would guess it is a tad bit cheaper than getting it at the vet's office, but I don't know by how much. May be able to get it even cheaper online...

I'd also make sure that you re-ask here, if need to, about your girl cat eating it - and whether or not that is really a problem. It may not be, so that would help about them eating each other's food.

Good luck with the fountain. Hope that helps!
Thanks. I actually went with my gut and saw a different vet for a second opinion. My first vet wasn’t bad, but this one I felt really comfortable with and she answered a lot of questions. And I will actually try to relay the best on here too so that maybe I can help somebody else. So what she told me that my first vet didn’t, was that Cheddar definitely had a UTI, and the struvite crystals. ( I wasn’t sure which kind he had, and I had read too that most vets prescribe antibiotics for a Uti when their cats don’t even have one, so I wasn’t glad, but happy that he wasn’t getting anything unnecessary.) she also said taking the antibiotics orally can give the cat an upset stomach since it travels through the GI tract, which is why she thinks he hasn’t had much of an appetite. That and maybe stress from us having to give him three pills and a pain syringe 2x a day. She also thinks it can start a little after they start taking the antibiotics, the sensitivity that is, and since he had the steroid shot, that might have also made him seem more upbeat and hungry. But on the downside she said the steroid can lower his immunity. The next thing I learned was that cats with UTIs should have a least 14 days of antibiotics. So she was surprised to hear I was only given one weeks worth. So she gave him an antibiotic shot that lasts for 7 days, she said it also should help with his sensitivity. And he is to come back in a week for another round so he gets his full 14 Days. She also gave him a urine acidifier gel, so he has a little bit more freedom with what he eats for the time being,and just so that we know those crystals are being dissolved right now. And lastly she gave him an appetite stimulant to help him keep eating, which she said should kick in by tonight and if not definitely by the morning. She also was very concerned about his appetite and said if he didn’t start eating better by tomorrow to def give her a call. His appetite stimulants are only to be given every 48 hours. I did have a little prazosin left, but Cheddar has been fighting me on the pills. So she gave the okay to take a break to help reduce stress. She gave me a whole bunch of sample of different hills urinary food, wet and dry, and even let him try some at the vet. At the time he was a little nervous I think bc he didn’t eat any. But she let us have the rest of those cans. The vet visit was seriously a blessing, and this was the second time throughout this whole process that I feel almost rewarded for following my gut.

Since we have been home, Cheddar has already seemed a little better and ate some More bites of his food. Not a whole dish, but some more. And she recommended putting the urine acidifier gel on his paws so when he goes to clean himself he will just lick away. Took him a few minutes to realize he liked it, but once he started he cleaned it right off.

-FeebysOwner .. I am gonna try and lay off the water in the food, especially now that I will have a fountain. And I did get to ask about sharing. She said the only way it’s not good for another cat is if they have a heart condition. She said it’s a little bit higher in sodium and can raise their blood pressure if they have a predisposed heart condition. So when I take Cheddar back, they are letting me bring Charlie with me too just for a checkup, then I can be totally sure it’s okah to share. She said it is a good balanced diet and they feed their cats there ( they had office cats ) it just as a preventative measure.

Boy that was a long one. But I learned a lot and am super glad. Hopefully some of this info can be helpful to someone else too! :)

sarah22092

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old boy just started with urinary issues this past Sunday. I noticed him straining and growling as he was trying to use his litter box. I knew immediately something was off - we took him to the vet that morning and the vet (who isn't our normal doctor) felt him and said it was a UTI. She didn't do a urine analysis or anything? She gave him antibiotics and another pill for helping his bladder. On Monday, I noticed that he was still straining and I couldn't see him struggle again so back to the vet we went - we saw our usual vet and she gave him a pain medicine, and put him on prednisone (I think) to help with the spasms. On Tuesday he seemed to be struggling so being the worried cat mom that I am, we went back again and I asked for an x-ray just to make sure there was nothing major blocking him! The x-ray showed crystals but no stones. We have him currently eating the dry/wet Hills C/D urinary food and bought a water fountain which he is still very unsure of! I've been monitoring the litter box and following him to the bathroom every time. He was never blocked each time we took him to the vet - thank goodness! On Sunday and Monday his pees were little drips but I noticed Tuesday evening and going forward, it seems as if he is peeing a little bit more and doesn't have to strain as much! Looks like we're on the right path but I'm still a nervous wreck. We've noticed a change from Sunday to today as he was very lethargic and sleepy on Sunday and Monday and now he's been starting to play with his sister again and seems to be very affectionate! I'm going to keep watching his litter box until his potty visits are pretty much back to normal. Our vet was hopeful because his crystals were so small that he would pass them and if we got him on the Hills food ASAP, they would begin dissolving them! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery - seems like we are on the right track so far.

It's so hard seeing your fur babies in pain and not acting themselves and I'm sure our vet office is tired of my daily phone calls but I'd do anything for my kitties! Our vet said as long as he is peeing, eating the Hills C/D and drinking, he should be feeling better!