Help cat breathe better before vet visit

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat has been sick for a few days, she had an URI and then the vet found a small amount of fluid in her lungs. She was under treatment, and her next vet visit is scheduled for tomorrow.
But tonight, her breathing got much worst and i feel like she's suffocating, she keeps changing positions to breathe better but it doesn't seem to help.
It's 1AM here and there are no emergency vet where i live.

Is there anything i can do to help her now? Or to make her more comfortable? I'll take her to the vet first thing in the morning as soon as he opens, but until then what should i do?

Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, - try this, but if it doesn't help then don't continue, but try putting her in the bathroom with a steamy hot shower, where the warm humidity might help her. :vibes::hearthrob::alright::hearthrob:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, - try this, but if it doesn't help then don't continue, but try putting her in the bathroom with a steamy hot shower, where the warm humidity might help her. :vibes::hearthrob::alright::hearthrob:
Hold off on that. If the cat had fluid in the lungs it can cause more stress and respiratory distress. If it was a regular upper respiratory infection with only upper airway congestion that would be great to do, but with lung involvement it’s best not to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll try that and see if it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hold off on that. If the cat had fluid in the lungs it can cause more stress and respiratory distress. If it was a regular upper respiratory infection with only upper airway congestion that would be great to do, but with lung involvement it’s best not to.
Oh ok, i see. I don't have an oxygen concentrator. Is there anything else i can help her with? Do you know if propping up her head with pillows can help her?