Help Cat Angry Pees Everywhere

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Short version: How do I get my 3 year old cat to stop peeing everywhere? She is stressed about new kittens and we have tried isolating her from the kittens, giving her CBD oil, and amitriptyline HCl, she is wearing a cat hormone collar and the same hormone outlets in every room she pees in (which is nearly all of them). What else can we try? Also, she has been checked by our vet and has a clean bill of health.

I know this is a common problem, but my female cat is spraying everywhere. I know why, but we can't change it.

Over the summer, a female, stray, pregnant cat found our family. She is too feral for her to be an inside kitty, but once the kitties were of age, we got her fixed. The kittens are inside/outside kittens. So we went from just two inside only cats to adding 5 inside/outside cats and two outside, mostly feral cats. (9 total).

The inside cat that is giving us the trouble was adopted from a shelter when she was a few months old. She was raised around two older cats, two older dogs, and a one-year-old cat who only spends holidays and summers home (she goes to college with me during most of the year). In the last few years, the older animals passed, but she wasn't attached to any of them. None of our animals really liked any of our other animals.

Anyway, Penny immediately hated the cats and kittens and she started peeing everywhere. At one point, I counted 19 pee spots in one room. It has been about 6 months since the new kittens have come into our family and we won't get rid of them.

She has gotten better and now no longer attacks the kittens on sight. She can be around them, watches them play, can sleep with them near. She has her own litter box and has areas she can roam where the kittens aren't allowed to go. As I mentioned before, she is on medication, we have used cat hormones, and it seemed like it was working for a while, but she is back to peeing at multiple places per day.

I sometimes take her to my place and she doesn't pee at all there when it is just me, her and my cat (who is one year older than Penny). Penny also seems to to be a Norwegian or Siberian cat if that makes a difference. Also, my cat and Penny are the only two females (not counting the feral mom who never comes in). The rest of the cats are boys who have all been fixed.

Is there anything else we can try?????? Please help! She has peed on some favorite books.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm posting to let you know your post has been read. I would post the article about introducing a cat to new kittens, but as usual I can't find it in the articles. You might be able to go to the menu and look through the articles. in the meantime I'll try to get you help.

Furballsmom Furballsmom I'm failing at articles again. The one I'm looking for that is usually on the page of offerings isn't there. Why does this happen to me? More importantly maybe you can find it for niki-nicole who has a serious, but common problem from having done the good and right thing.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that it sounds like she’s stressed from the arrival of the new kittens. You may have to reintroduce them. I’ll attach some helpful articles:

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

First, though, I would recommend taking her to the vet to get checked out. Inappropriate urination often has underlying medical causes, so it’s always best to rule that out before trying behavior modification.

Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Short version: How do I get my 3 year old cat to stop peeing everywhere? She is stressed about new kittens and we have tried isolating her from the kittens, giving her CBD oil, and amitriptyline HCl, she is wearing a cat hormone collar and the same hormone outlets in every room she pees in (which is nearly all of them). What else can we try? Also, she has been checked by our vet and has a clean bill of health.

I know this is a common problem, but my female cat is spraying everywhere. I know why, but we can't change it.

Over the summer, a female, stray, pregnant cat found our family. She is too feral for her to be an inside kitty, but once the kitties were of age, we got her fixed. The kittens are inside/outside kittens. So we went from just two inside only cats to adding 5 inside/outside cats and two outside, mostly feral cats. (9 total).

The inside cat that is giving us the trouble was adopted from a shelter when she was a few months old. She was raised around two older cats, two older dogs, and a one-year-old cat who only spends holidays and summers home (she goes to college with me during most of the year). In the last few years, the older animals passed, but she wasn't attached to any of them. None of our animals really liked any of our other animals.

Anyway, Penny immediately hated the cats and kittens and she started peeing everywhere. At one point, I counted 19 pee spots in one room. It has been about 6 months since the new kittens have come into our family and we won't get rid of them.

She has gotten better and now no longer attacks the kittens on sight. She can be around them, watches them play, can sleep with them near. She has her own litter box and has areas she can roam where the kittens aren't allowed to go. As I mentioned before, she is on medication, we have used cat hormones, and it seemed like it was working for a while, but she is back to peeing at multiple places per day.

I sometimes take her to my place and she doesn't pee at all there when it is just me, her and my cat (who is one year older than Penny). Penny also seems to to be a Norwegian or Siberian cat if that makes a difference. Also, my cat and Penny are the only two females (not counting the feral mom who never comes in). The rest of the cats are boys who have all been fixed.

Is there anything else we can try?????? Please help! She has peed on some favorite books.
How do you know she is Norwegian???????

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The very fact that you thought Penny was getting better and now is worse, really could indicate a UTI. So you need to have her urine checked and cultured to either confirm/treat or dispel the increased behavior being related to an infection. Stress, especially long-term, can also cause urinary infections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU so much for all your help. Looking on the forum, it looks like this community is awesome, even if they are answering variations of the same question over and over again. I started bee keeping a few years ago and the people on those forums were not helpful and often made fun of people for not sharing their opinion.

I took her to the vet not long ago, but they didn't check her urine. I will take her back soon. I will try re-introducing her to the other cats. Her pee has been smelling really strong, but we assumed it was because she wasn't eating or drinking as much.

We just want our purry, loving cat who bites but who has a tail glorious enough for us to ignore it.

How do you know she is Norwegian???????
I don't know that. Doing research, her looks and behavior seem to fit it the best. But we know that she is a mixed shelter cat and don't set much store by breed. However, I included it just in case big cats do things differently. She is also the only cat who bites us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Better but still not back to normal. In trying to re-introduce them, we skipped the scent exchange part because they were already used to each other's smells. So we replaced the door to the family room (and the angry cat's main area) from the rest of the house with a screen door and have been feeding them and playing with them on each side of the door so they can get used to being close to each other, but feel safe. This caused Penny (angry cat) to become just grumpy cat. She is back using the litter and hardly sprays. She is playing more too. We also treated her for a UTI because we noticed crystals in her urine and it was super concentrated. She still isn't eating as well--she only wants Stella and Chewy's chick-chick-chicken un-hydrated and we want her to eat wet food.

However, they still can't be trusted with each other. We have to keep Penny on CBD oil or she becomes really angry and upset. And she is mostly used to all the other cats (especially the now-6-month-old kittens) but there is one cat who antagonizes her. He sits on the other side of the screen with a smug look on his face and will strut back and forth in front of it. This makes Penny crazy and she will bust the door open or "scream" at him or both. He then runs away in terror only to come back later. Other cats can be in front of the screen (she is female and the rest are male, but they are all fixed) and she doesn't react at all. It is just Mr. Samual Adams.

We do keep all cats out of Penny's area. I don't know if we should let one of the cats she doesn't mind so much in or keep them out until she no longer reacts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
What if you let the kittens in with her? They might provide enough distraction that Sam Adams won't be able to "yank Penny's chain" and bother her as much. He'll still do what he does in front of the door but hopefully she won't care as much :)

Have you tried any toppers or enticements such as bonito flakes on her wet food?