Help! Caring for single newborn kitten...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, that is what I will do! I know her eyes have slightly began to open, when I pull the half blanket away from her nest, her eyes squint tight. She has just the slightest slit beginning to form and her ears have began to look a little more erect to me.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest if you can find a clock that ticks placing it in the nest this will make her think it is the mommies heart beat. It has to be a ticking clock not one that is electric. I will read more soon. keep up the good work.

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, yes, I am weighing every 12 hours! I am going to stop freaking myself out from weighing more than that because I know it can flucuate as well and does me no good to keep weighing throughout the entire day, just makes little cutie feel some of my stress. <3

Thanks, that is a great idea about the clock, I have one now, I will have to do that. :)

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to share the victories with those who have literally helped me every step of the way. I decided to try the bottle just for the heck of it. I already had a syringe prepared and warmed because I thought that it is what I would have to ultimately use for her, and it is with my greatest happiness I share that she accepted the bottle. After struggling to keep her interested in the dropper and then the syringe, we have a winner!

Not only accepted, but went to town on it! She suckled the mess out of it and was making so many cute grunting noises, and before I knew it, she had eaten 4.2cc and afterwards when I was burping and cuddling her, I heard her first "purr" attempts. I have one happy baby tonight.

Must be something about this sweet smelling powdered formula after all! 

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am just so proud of her, I can't even sleep. I cannot describe how much I had to struggle to get her to eat the past 3 days. I was so scared I was going to lose her from it. I began thinking just how much probably got wasted through the feedings, you know, a drop here, a drop there, while struggling with her, or when she'd walk and push it out of her mouth, etc... it adds up, so she probably in reality was still not meeting the amount she really needed through it all...can't say that now! I cannot believe the difference. This is such a huge step.

This was her second feeding on the bottle tonight. Right at 4cc again, and happy purrs after...she is trying to perfect that purr tonight to let mama know she is finally happy. 

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm gunna put my two cents in here.
When you weigh her, does she move around? Are you weighing her in a bowl or something, and on a flat hard surface? I'm sure it's just the scale/how she's being weighed. If she's eating there shouldn't be a reason for her not to gain weight, unless she has worms. :(

I want her!! She's too cute. Oh! I love her colors too. The brownish-gold with the black gives her such a cutie, cute, cuter look.

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This fine Tuesday morning, I am so happy to announce that she has GAINED. This morning she is now 4.2oz! Wow, what a turn around this has been and what a relief for both her and me. I was weighing her on a flat hard surface and put her on it 3 times each time to make sure I got accurate readings, without the scale moving around to different number, so she was definitely losing (or trying to make me have a heart attack! LOL) but since I've switched to the GNC Premium Powdered formula, she's been almost unbreakable from her bottle. Before this, she would nearly refuse and/or make the dropper or syringe really difficult, and wanted nothing to do with the bottle, so all of this time, I am not so sure I was getting accurate cc readings on her, due to some dribblling out, her moving and some getting on the towel multiple times, etc...but looks like smooth sailing now that she has accepted the bottle! I had to slowly pry her off of it this morning because I didn't want her to overfeed herself! lol

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear she has gained weight! I had the the same resistance with my kitten during feedings. I switched him to goat's milk last week and he drinks that down fast.

I just had to ask because mine always moves around when I weigh him. It takes a few minutes to get an accurate reading from the kitchen scale. They apparently don't like to sit still. Lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hallelujah!

This is fantastic news - just what I've been waiting to hear. She will start gaining steadily now. Once they figure out the bottle they are on their way!

We always recommend the powder over the pre-mixed. Do add a couple drops of olive or vegetable oil to her bottle to avoid constipation.

She was getting enough formula to survive, but the slide had started. She wasn't thriving. I knew something wasn't right. I appreciate your ongoing concerns and commitment to trying everything possible for her. You've earned an A+!

When you have a spare moment (ha!), go read nikkykay nikkykay 's thread from the beginning. It's heartwarming, informative, and very similar to yours!

I'm so happy for you! :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute.  I love the pic where the kittens looks like it's standing on it's back paws to drink from the bottle.

So not only is kitty beginning to thrive your like just got so much less stressful. 

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  - I have been wanting to read her thread from beginning to end. I did just that early this morning and it was such a heart warming experience to watch that baby grow and to continue to read all about him. 

@Handsome Kitty  - I know, that was her second feeding with the bottle, once she got the hang of it, she kept getting so excited. I find it extra soothing when she gets the good suction going and she is quiet, but you hear a slight slurp while enjoying her milk. Love watching her little ears move up and down...that is eventually when I have to lightly pry it out of her little mouth because I think she'd keep on going! lol

I just can't get over it. It was like a miracle happened after she tasted the powdered formula. I have a feeling I would have lost her, had I not made that change. My heart is forever imprinted with that sweet little purr she did for the first time since I've had her after her first bottle meal. If I had to take a guess, it was because she was finally happy with a full belly. Now I see I can look forward to the even more powerful purrs and happy cuddles after every feeding. 

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember Khaos' first purr. Their first purrs stay with you forever, I'm guessing. He was only 4 days old when he started. It was a choppy sounding purr that continued until he was 3 weeks old--then he purred like a normal kitty! 

The bottle does really help with feedings. :) It gets so much easier when she'll eat every 3 hrs (2-3 weeks).  After that it gets even easier--which will mean you can sleep a bit longer. I feed Khaos a 4 tsps bottle, 4 times a day. He doesn't take anymore than that, though, because he eats about 2-3 tsps of canned food w/milk mixed in. 

Whenever you can, upload some more pictures of your beautiful baby! I just can't get over how adorable her fur is. I like the gold-ish brown in it. 

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's how hers is, it is so adorable. Melts my heart every time! The bottle has already made my and her life so much less complicated! lol, so glad that she took to it. I had tried it 3 days before she took it. She really just did not like the PetAg canned formula at all...but loving the Premium GNC powder. One of the best choices I've ever made in my life!

I have 4 cats already, but keeping her isolated from them. Hubby is warming up to the idea that I am not going to be able to give this sweetie up when she is old enough. My first "plan" was to save this baby's life and find her a wonderful home...well, that wonderful home is going to be here! This is the first newborn I have ever saved and I just cannot see myself parting with her. I told my husband that if I ever find myself in this same situation again, that I will understand that I will be working to save the baby's life, and find it another loving, wonderful home. I always said I would not have 5 cats...but you know what, I never thought I would be where I am now with this baby. There is no way I can part with her and I don't want her to have to part with me, because I know she will always be spoiled by us! 

BTW, everyone, she just had her 12-hour weigh in and she is weighing in at 134g! She has been eating the entire 3cc with an occasional extra cc. Wow, what a difference the past 24 hours have made!

I'll gather up my pictures from today in just a few minutes and post them! :)

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

To be honest, she reminds me SO much of my cat, Little Bitty...I saved her from the mouths of two dogs...this is her below..posting because comparison is crazy to me with the little orange/brown/golden colors and the locations.

(the day I saved Little Bitty)

Little Bitty now! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am overjoyed by this! I just love the way she reaches her little paw out and touches you while nursing.

She is already incredibly bonded to YOU. She already knows you and your smell. In her little world you are her mom. She is depending on you to be there for her. I would not be able to part with this sweet baby either. She is just precious, and you are doing a great job with her!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am overjoyed by this! I just love the way she reaches her little paw out and touches you while nursing.

She is already incredibly bonded to YOU. She already knows you and your smell. In her little world you are her mom. She is depending on you to be there for her. I would not be able to part with this sweet baby either. She is just precious, and you are doing a great job with her!
I noticed exactly the same paw to finger thing! 
​     Nursing these tiny new born kittens is a real heart breaker for sure and you have to invest every piece of your being to bring them through.  What an amazing bond that must be. Thank you for sharing those precious photos and continuing to keep everyone updated here.  (I swear her head has grown since the ones you shared yesterday LoL).   Ooh, and how great to see how Little Bitty is growint up:  what a pretty kitty, and what fabulous ears she has!  

Status
Not open for further replies.