Help! Can't Find Babies!

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have 3 inside cats. Two are sisters and one is an 15 year old fixed male. One of the girls ran outside before getting her fixed and she got pregnant. Today, she had her babies in the kitchen. She had stayed with them in there all day. We left for 4 hours, came home and she was still fine and nursing babies on kitchen floor. We started watching TV, an hour later decided to head to bed and the kittens were no longer there! I have looked every where up and down to find them. Could they of been eaten? Could the other cats of took off with them? She is laying in bed with me sleeping now like she has no babies and she is calm and relaxed. I havent seen her look for them yet and have not heard them. Could she of just hid them and some how I can't find them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as the very most probable is she did hid them somewhere. Say perhaps under a drawer, or down under a sofa in the clothe-tissue...

If they were alive and well just a short moment before, its not probable they died and become eaten...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I tried to stay up till 4am to keep an eye on her but she didn't lead me to them. After falling asleep, woke up and she is gone too. Been calling for her even with her favorite food, but she still won't come out. I have found where they can get in the wall and it leads to between upstairs and downstairs hidden in the closet. I'm starting to wonder if they are in there, but this spot is very hard to get to. She would of had to climb on the top of a coat closet and work her way back there. And I have a tie around the door to make it hard for them to get in the closet (had one cat try to get back there before) Is this a possibility? I have never seen a cat hide babies like this where I can't find them. Could it be that she is keeping them away from the other cats or is it about people too? Is it safe if they are in there? Concerned if that's where they are, if she will be able to get them out of there when they get bigger.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
O Onlyme84

That may very well be where they are hidden. Cats usually prefer dark, quiet, private places for their newborns, especially hidden from predators.

Even though your cats are familiar with one another, mom will not necessarily want them near her babies. Her maternal instincts have driven her to hide them.

I would be sure she can get in and out of the closet to get to them in the meantime.

Eventually you should see her coming and going to and from somewhere, and the mystery will be solved. If not, when she is with you, you can play newborn kitten sounds from YouTube on your phone, and watch where she goes.

If they are in this space, you may have to cut into the wall in order to get them out.

If you go this route, once out, mom and babies need a closet in a bedroom with the door to the room closed and mom's food, water, and litter in the room so she cannot move them again.

The kittens are probably safe for now while you sort things out and confirm their whereabouts.

Keep us posted! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she can get them in, she can get them out. The problem is THEY may not be able to get out, and by the time they are big enough to do so they may be getting too old to socialize to humans. They are safe for now, but they must be got to in a week or so. After a few weeks, they will be going to the bathroom back there, and that will cause a whole new problem. All the luck!

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They aren't in the wall. She made an area in our closet behind a tub. I can't believe I couldn't find them! I had looked all in our closet but didn't see them. Then today I saw her come from there when I got home. They have been found!!! Yah!!
I'm going to leave her and the babies be so our smell isn't on them and she don't want to move them again. When I feel it is safe, I will post a picture!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good. But observe, the smell because of humans handling is rarely the problem. Its other stresses that may be a problem...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is very good news! Block her access to the other space in the stairwell so she does not go there.

Are all kittens accounted for?

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, all the kitchens are accounted for and we purchased some plywood to fix the hole problem. She has been alot more relaxed this evening. Last night before she moved the babies, she was meowing alot. I thought she was in pain or wanted attention. I'm starting to think that it was just because she didn't like rptut there were because she hasn't been doing it anymore.

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a picture of momma and babies! I did a sneak attack. I will get pics in a couple days when she is more in tune with being a new mommy!

Attachments

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 days old! She (Missy) has kept her babies still in same spot. I cleared it out for her and boxed it in. She hasn't moved them and rarely comes out, usually only to eat. She has been very good to them!

Attachments

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is an updated picture of babies. They are growing like crazy. They all finally have thier eyes open.

Attachments