Help Anyone??

Mamacita3919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry to be bothering with posting so much, but Im haing a few issues with my cat I rescued over a month ago, who just had kittens 2 days ago. The Mamma (Shiva) is very young herself. The vet estimated her to be roughly 7-9 months old. Its very clear she was somebodies house pet before we found her. We found her pregnate, though I had no clue she was till I started feeling movement roughly 2 weeks later. She just had a litter of 3 kittens 2+ days ago. Mama keeps leaving her kittens whenever I walk away from her, and keeps leaving them in general. I have to keep making her go back by her babies, and have to gesture her lay down to feed them. She stays and feeds them as long as me, or one of my kids (who are older) stay by her, but its very grueling and tedious. We have to stay by her or she will not feed them. They are getting plent of mammas milk but like I said it is quite difficult on us humans. Mamma is getting fixrd as soon as the kittens are weined off the teet. Another problem were having is shes not picking them up right. Shes actually using her fangs to grab them, and you can tell it hurts them. I know its normal for mamma cats to do that, but for her to be that rough.....Ive seen lots of videos and have done so much research and yes in those vidz the babies meow but its nothing near to what Shivas kittens do when she picks them up. They scream. So oit of everything Ive just written, does anyone have any pointers or tips for me ad far as getting mamma to feed her babies like she should, and or get her to stop using her fangs on them so hard? I need all the help I can get. Thanks for reading this post and i hope someone has answers or resolutions to all the issues were having. Id appreciate any help. Never done this before.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mamacita, I'm sorry you haven't yet been able to solve young Shiva's problem to understand her role in the care of her kitties. As we mentioned in your previous thread this is probably due to her being so young and inexperienced. I wonder if you have tried to put into practice FeebysOwner's suggestions in your previous thread, which I quote below:

"If they are not in a confined area, they probably should be. Such as a crate, then you can love on Shiva, give her treats, and put her back in the crate to enable her kittens to nurse. If she is confined to a specific area with her kittens, she will be more inclined to nurse/take care of them when you leave."

Have you been weighing the little ones to make sure they are growing adequately, i.e 10 grams a day? Otherwise you will have to resort to feeding them yourself. Other members more expereinced than I would help you in that respect.

Regarding the rough way Shiva holds the kittens to move them around, that is again a question of being somewhat clumsy through being too young and inexperienced but as long as she doesn't mean to hurt them I wouldn't worry too much about it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with the above. And yes, the alternative may be YOU do handraise them. Lotsa of work, but not that difficult either with healthy kittens. Its more difficult with weak sickly ones... And you wouldnt worry in the same way, just do it. :)

Otherwise its just to copy with it, held her company as well you can, limit her possibilities to wander around - perhaps even with a cage, as mentioned...

You can of course take her out sometimes and have an intesive playing session to get out the excessive energhy out from her... Worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamacita3919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been weighing them. They are all growing and measuring anywheres between 8-10 grams each day. We do have a crate. We just went and picked up a pretty big one so they have room to grow, and have space to move around. Thus far we are teaching Shiva to feed. We lay her down and rub her belly cuz she loves it. Its to get her ready so we can then put the kittens near her nipples so they can find them and feed. Were doing that constantly. I will admit tho we have seen a very tiny bit of Shiva learning kind of sort of. Its not as difficult as it was in the beginning to get Shiva into a position so the babies can eat, and then making sure she stays that way long enough everytime so the babies can eat. She maybe does it willingly a few times a day this far. Ots going to be quitebsome journey, but in the end its SOOO worth it! Seeing those babies and how cute they are! Its all def worth it! Thanks again everyone!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your report. You are doing a wonderful job and being paid back with excellent results. Fortunately the time will come when the little ones will eat by themselves and you will be "released" from a tiresome but successful routine. Won't mom Shiva be happy! :runningcat: