HELP Any multi cat households out there... appx how much canned food do you buy a month????

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for responding.

So you only buy 12 cans for your "special diet" cat and only 36 cans total for the other 2? are then 5oz or 3oz cans??

Also, RX food??? if its Hills, you know that RX is just marketing, right.
I buy 36 cans of regular food for my 2 girls. My guy on RX food eats prescription food because every single other food we've tried over the past 12 years has caused raging diarrhea, even with probiotics, prescription medication, and other supplements. This is the only food that keeps his stool firm.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit confused, all food has recommended feeding amounts depending on your cat's weight, so it should be relatively easy math to figure out how much to get in a month.

Personally, when I have 1 week left, or see a good deal online, I order the quantity that has the best price per kilogram, if there is a discount for larger purchases, as long as there isn't any chance of it expiring. And if there is a deal, I'll maybe buy a bit extra, if it's something I know my gals love, like 2-3 months worth of food.
The only time I don't buy the largest quantity is with dry food, as my spoiled brats will refuse to eat it if it's been open too long. But, since wet food is individually packaged, just do what's cheaper in the long run.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 indoor cats, both are estimated to be around 2 or 3 years old. One is 11.8 lbs and the smaller one around 9 lbs. I solely feed wet canned food, no dry food. I use autoship from Chewy to get my canned food.

They each get one 5.5oz can of food per day, with an average of 187 Kcal to 206 Kcal per day, depending on the variety/meat source in the can. I tend to split up their meals into 5 to 6 per day which works well for me since I'm home all day.
This is the same with me. I have 2 indoor cats which are both are around 10 lbs give or take. I just transitioned them from about 75% commercial raw and 25% canned to 100% wet canned. I split a 5.5 oz can morning and night so we go through 2 cans a day which works out to ~60 5.5oz cans a month. I also supplement with a very small bit of grain free kibble and/or freeze dried treats midday and late evening.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 cats. On Chewy I autoship 4 boxes of 24 3 oz cans every 5 weeks. that's 96 3 oz cans total every 5 weeks. My cats eat twice a day

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 3 (approx 2-3 years old each) cats and the cans depend on what's on sale and what sizes.

If I can get a case of Wureva lamb thats 24 days of lunch for all 3.

Then, they get 2 in the am, 2 at dinner and 3 at night so 7 small cans (3oz) per day of whatever else they're eating.

Approx. 8 cans a day times however many days in that month. Because if I can't get a big size can of something it'll be another 2 cats at lunch so 9. If they really bug and have been active they might get a 10th can at a meal.

They get a variety of foods but mostly eat Purina Pro Plan Urinary. They eat two other Purina Pro Plan recipes that I feel are healthy. They also get Beyond Duck pate, Iams Perfect Portions (1 portion each which I am counting as a can for math purposes) or Royal Canin kitten food.

I do not feed them anything with peas, legumes or other vegetables like spinach, tomatoes as I cannot find any longitudinal studies on those ingredients.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my three cats three cans of cat food a day (not three each, three total) and also do dry food. I give them one can in the morning and two at night. I usually buy three months worth of canned food at once, so I spend around $250 for eight or nine 32-40 count multipacks.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully I am not too late to answer this here. But I have 2 cats both neutered indoors boys. Since Scooter is on urinary food I buy about 6 or 7 Purina Pro Plan Urinary 5oz cans a week. I get it at Petco cause it’s the only place I can find Purina Pro Plan in my state in the US. Each can is about $2 a can so I spend $12 for 6 cans which is a lot better than what the vet wanted for the prescription food. Sometimes those cans will actually last longer but I always restock when they get low. Like they could have 3 cans left I will go buy 3 or 4 more. I should buy the big packs they would probably last me longer. But I can’t afford the huge packs. But each can for my 2 boys I can get 2 maybe 3 days worth of feeding. I don’t go by feeding for the weight cause considering Scooter is 15lbs that is too much food for him. Last time I did that it was before I got Casper and Scooter ended up being almost 20lbs so I lessened the amount I fed him to get his weight down. I can also stretch their food at feeding time too. What I do is I give them each one spoonful of the wet food then I add extra water or chicken broth(unsalted or low sodium of course) to their wet food. It makes like a kitty soup for them Scooter still gets the benefit of the urinary food. But I end up with 2 happy satisfied boys. Dry food I don’t worry too much they both get a small amount of dry with water added. Occasionally they will just dry kibble like it is which is also Purina pro plan.

Of course this is just what I do cause I am on a very tight budget. But this is what works for my boys. Each multi cat household is different so it’s really about find what works for you & your kitties.