Help!........again

p3la

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 4 kittens, newly borns about 2 weeks old and the mother cat has ran away? I'm not sure but it's been about 1 day since she came back to the house to feed her kittens and what not. I'm sure they're starving and I've tried feeding them with generic nipples and powdered milk, also tried cow milk but no luck, I literally would have to pry their little mouths open for them to drink it, what should i do?!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by p3la

We have 4 kittens, newly borns about 2 weeks old and the mother cat has ran away? I'm not sure but it's been about 1 day since she came back to the house to feed her kittens and what not. I'm sure they're starving and I've tried feeding them with generic nipples and powdered milk, also tried cow milk but no luck, I literally would have to pry their little mouths open for them to drink it, what should i do?!
First...do not feed kittens cows milk...you need to go to the nearest 7-11 or Petsmart and pick up some KMR which is kitten formula:

Birth to 1 week: Feed every 3 hours (8 feedings per day)

From 1 to 3 weeks: Feed every 4 hours (6 feedings per day)

From 3 to 4 weeks: Feed every 5 hours (5 feedings a day)

From 4 to 5 weeks: Feed four to five times a day.

Total Formula required per day
Birth to 1 week: 24cc

1 week: 32cc

2 weeks: 54cc

3 weeks: 80cc

4 weeks: 104cc

5 weeks: 128cc

As a guide, a kitten should drink about 8cc's of formula per ounce of body weight per day.

For example, a kitten that is only one or two days old, will need 24cc divided into 8 feedings, which is 3cc per feed. He may drink a little more or less but you'll know if he's receiving enough formula by monitoring his weight gain.

Sometimes kittens are too weak to feed. This is when you need to tube feed. If you have never done this, please consult your vet in the proper way to tube feed. You can also contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center if one is near you and ask if you can have a special feeding nipple. This is an elongated nipple that attaches to the bottle and goes further down into the throat without being so intrusive as to go all the way to the stomach. Use this tip with great care (do not choke your kitten or force fluids too quickly). Again, having someone experienced in using this and showing you how would be the best way to go.

This is a website you should visit which has lots of information on how to care for orphaned kittens:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/kitten_..._schedule.html

I would also try to contact a feral cat rescue group or your vet office about obtaining a humane trap. If mom can be caught and reunited with her babies that is best....however, mom really does need to be caught and spayed so she doesn't have anymore litters.

Katie