Help/advice Resident Cat Not Happy In The House!

Lisa65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am at my whit's end and need some advice! I rehomed a nearly 2yr old neutered male this June, he is fine and has settled in with me really well. I have an existing male Tabby, 9yr old also neutered, who has been the only cat in the household since I got him 7 yrs ago. The new cat was introduced slowly by the book (kept in separate room for 3 weeks, scent transferring by me between both cats, gradual meeting and mixing etc). There was never any real aggression between both cats, just a bit of hissing and a few swipes by the tabby (he is not an aggressive boy by nature). Since both cats have been together the older resident cat has spend less and less time away from the house, he only now comes in to feed then leaves straight away. He is sleeping in a barn next door and is very uncomfortable in the house, even when he is the only cat inside, he is on edge and growly. I have feliway's going in 2 rooms and am using a calming additive in the resident cat's food, but he is still not happy in the house. I am on the point of rehoming the new cat as I am so upset my tabby is not staying in the home....does anyone have any ideas before I take this step please?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the outdoors option has sort of stopped their introduction since they can get away from one another instead of adjusting. You could try keeping them both in for a few weeks and go through a reintroduction. The other thing maybe to try is going out and getting your older cat and bringing him in for the night. Maybe if he is forced to stay indoors at night he may discover again that a warm bed is better than a barn.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisa65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the outdoors option has sort of stopped their introduction since they can get away from one another instead of adjusting. You could try keeping them both in for a few weeks and go through a reintroduction. The other thing maybe to try is going out and getting your older cat and bringing him in for the night. Maybe if he is forced to stay indoors at night he may discover again that a warm bed is better than a barn.
Hi yes I think you might be right! I don’t think they will tolerate being kept inside after the freedom but I am going to try and keep the older cat in at night. He usually comes in just before bedtime for a food top up! My plan is to put Roo, the new cat in my room where he sleeps and lock the cat flap so Alfie, the older one can’t leave. The weathers wet here for the next week + so hopefully that will help him settle inside for the night

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Three months is not long in a cats world for change, so i think they are doing very well together. Letting your older boy escape having to interact with the newcomer is not good. He will always take the easier way out, and eventually decide to stay out all the time. They will eventually call a truce, but it will take up to a year. Don't give up, it WILL happen, you just have to keep them together enough to form a bond. i know how upsetting this is to an older cat, give him extra attention, some new toys and extra treats to help him along.