Help! Abandoned Mother Cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
More pics on momma welcome. Including a side profile. Of head.

Eyes are green right? But many torties has green eyes so this is no proof.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all the help! Even if I don't reply individually, I am reading and taking in what everyone is saying.
I've bottle-fed and raised kittens before. It takes a lot of patience XD
When I can, I will get them to the vet, and I'll get Mama operated on. We don't need any more kitties lol

The kitten isn't a point, I don't think. He's a very pale gray-ish cream color with a little bit of faint white on his face and paws.

Here's a couple more of the Mama. I'm sorry she kinda blurry a little. She makes so fast it's hard to take pictures.

20180728_000235.jpg
20180730_124137.jpg
20180728_000146.jpg

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ
You were right, by the way, about kitten's age...
His mobility makes him seem a whole lot younger than he really is. His eyes have opened, and ears are starting now too.
But he isn't really even able to crawl. His back legs stick out to the sides, and he mostly uses his front legs to pull himself extremely slowly.
My Mom made the same observation. Is this normal at this age?
20180806_010327.jpg
20180806_005835.jpg
20180806_005901.jpg
20180806_010436.jpg
20180806_010449.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope his movements are in the normal range. But most healthy kittens that age move easier, I agree. Natural variation?

You can always try with doing some gentle massage. As sheer training of your skills if nothing else.

Ok if not point so prob diluted creme, with white.

Momma does looks as a petite russian blue female. Even if its an optical illusion provoken by her bluish dilute torties.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you. His mobility is a little concerning to me.
I will try the massages!
Is there anyone you can link that may have another opinion, or advice?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had eyes open as soon as 5 days old, and as late as 2 weeks. The best way to determine age is by weight.
Scooting around mainly with the front legs is normal, some help with the rear legs now and then, as long as you don't see hind legs not assisting at all, like limp and no use at anytime.
I would bet there were more kits too, it's too late now of course.
Mom being so young, just a kitten herself has not had time to develop her maternal instincts, these are nearly the only cats who actually will abandon their babies, aside from mom being killed somehow.
Cats don't abandon their kits otherwise, despite how many litters are discovered, mom is not present/likely feral and went to find food etc, but won't return until humans are out of sight.
Kitten shouldn't cry ever, when with mom they have all they need.
I highly suggest buying or borrowing a small scale that weighs grams to be sure kitten is gaining enough, this is the time when they are growing at an incredible speed, and organs fine tuning etc, so even though a kitten will appear to be nursing and getting enough, if there is any question at all in how often she has him nursing, etc then it's imperative to weigh daily. Must gain at least 10 grams each day.
If supplementing is needed kitten will really resist, since mom is present, so you would need to use a small 1.0 ml syringe and drop tiny amts in to the cheek area, just to up the intake enough to gain appropriately.
What happens is they don't get enough daily gains will be by 3 weeks or so the kitten will clearly stop thriving, and start heading downhill, once that happens it's extremely hard to turn this around.

I would also suggest if mom and kit are in a cage/crate to take a towel and tightly roll it up length-wise and attach it to the bottom outer circumference just like a baby crib bumper pad. Baby gets under mom or behind her and she leans back and that's the end of baby.
Their legs and head get between the wire bars and are crushed.

Poor mom, too young to be out on her own like that, she was scared and found you to help.
So glad for that!

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took Mommy Kitty and baby Noah to the vet yesterday!
They both checked out good. Mommy got her rabies vaccine. Noah got a little bit of warmer.
They say they think Noah is 3 weeks, and Mommy is no older than 2 years old. He weighed 13 ounces! Lol
She weighs 6lbs, and needs to gain more weight, but doing okay.
Noah's back legs are growing stronger. I've been massaging the legs and encouraging him to crawl more. He can lift his weight up with his legs under him better than he was.
The vet says they should become normal very soon.

They will go back for another appointment if any concerns come up, or when Noah is ready to start kitten shots and things.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute!

Be super careful with the puppy around the kitten. I’m sure you’re supervising all interactions.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. Of course! Lol
I never leave them alone for a moment.
She's in training to protect livestock, and needs to be very familiar and friendly with young animals. Rosie is fond of the chickens as well, and will try to share feed with them. haha ^_^

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, y'all. I'm at the point in this relationship that I have a dilemma... I may have to make this a new thread. I need serious advice..
I am very fond of my cats. I have 5 of them including Mommy and Noah. We also have 5 dogs, 2 of which are very old and grumpy.
Noah is now old enough to run and play and be a normal happy, healthy kitten. We are trying to socialize him with all the other animals, but it's difficult because he is so small. One angry snap from a doggy could be the end of little Noah! D:
But Noah doesn't mind too much. He is very accepting of everyone who gives him attention and isn't mean.
Now my biggest struggle is socializing Mommy cat with the other animals.

I had to uproot my original cats out of my room when Mommy and Noah came to live with us because I didn't have anywhere else for them to be. This has caused anxiety and litterbox issues from my 3 existing cats. (Trying to cope >_<)
Also, my efforts have been futile at bringing the kitties into neutral territory to be introduced in a calm atmosphere like everyone says. They still don't like each other, and will not get along.
Mommy cat has been keeping me up at night because she is stir-crazy and wants out of the room. The problem is that when she goes out of room the cats argue.

God forbid if one of the other animals comes into the room and gets too close. One of my dogs has a scar on her ear from Mommy cat!!
She is very protective, to the point that she is viscous when another animal comes into "her" space. But it wasn't originally her space. It was my other cats'.
My Mom asked me today how attached was I to Mommy, that it might be a good idea to rehome her.. she also threw out the idea to rehome 2 of my original cats, and keep Mommy and Noah...
I don't know what to do.. I wish they would just get along!!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to see how things are after mom is spayed. You can do a proper reintroduction at that time, but her hormones will prevent you from making any progress now.

As for the dogs, they should really be on a leash at all times when around the kitten. If it’s not safe for them to socialize because you’re worried about a snap, keep them apart for now. You’re right.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't get her spayed until October when the next low cost program comes around... that's a long time to not get any sleep XD

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ll have to be patient until then, unless you can find another low cost program. It’s hard, I know.