Help! 5 Week Old Kitten Passing Loose Stools And Vomiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post, but I really need help.

There was this friendly stray cat which adopted us sometime in June. On August 14th, she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens. Mom would go out and return within 2 hrs morning and evening. All was well until last week. Mom cat went out, had a fight with the crows and ran back in. The next day however, when she didn't come back home even after 5.5 hours, we became worried. Finally she returned home, but the entire left side of the body was covered in blood. She managed to clean herself up, but her attitude changed drastically. She was still friendly, but suddenly she would growl, hiss and pounce at us for no reason. Us touching the kittens wasn't the problem because a) we had been doing that for a long time, b) no aggression when we touched them even after the crow incident.

This went on increasing and we had no other choice but to call animal rescue. The kittens were taken with her but they were however separated at the shelter. While 3 of them got adopted into different homes, 2 came back home with us, named Naughty and Curious.

Initially, both of them had diarrhoea, but Curious recovered after a visit to the vet, but Naughty is worrying me a bit.

Naughty is still passing loose stools. Yesterday she vomited the food we had given her. She did eat after that, but today morning I found her vomiting clear liquids. She is still passing loose stools. Also, she sneezes when I hold her (though she loves to rest on my chest).

Questions:
1. What do I give Naughty? The vet has prescribed Amedol F, but my dad lost the syringe and shops don't open for a few hours.

2. Could the mother have passed on her "disease" to her kittens?

3. They both are active when they are awake but sleep most of the time. Is that normal?

Additional info:
Vet prescribed special kitten dry food for them in very small quantity and lots of water.
Today is a Sunday and hence the vet doesn't come before early noon. Also, I feel a bit stupid because I took them to the vet on Friday and Saturday.
Both of them very comfortable with us and love to sleep on our laps. Beautiful kittens. I don't want anything bad happening to them. Please help.

Here's a picture of them: The one in the foreground is Naughty and the one near the food bowl is Curious

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are adorable.
I would get a fecal sample and maybe a blood panel done. Have the vet check for FIV, FELV, kidney and liver function. However, I'm thinking parasites.
I don't know about the medication you mentioned, I hope someone else can give you better advice than I can.
The only Special Kitty I know of, is an off brand sold by Walmart. I'm hoping that's not what the vet is talking about. If it is, I suggest better food, and maybe a different vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The loose stool shall have pedialyte or similiar mainly to recompensate for salt and fluid losses.

Can you get raw goats milk? Its always good and may even help.

Processed goats is ok and good but not the same healing potential.

Has they been dewormed?

One idea is if momma got smitten by the crows. Salmonella even??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

Got some sad news here. Kittens were at the vet's for the past few days and passed away yesterday morning. The sadness is crippling.

The worst part is that the Rescue organisation has left the mom cat back in our locality, after spaying her. The worst part is, she is calling out to her kittens all the time and her constant crying is breaking my heart. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.