Help! 2-year-old Throwing Up Clear (yellowish) Saliva, Weak, Not Eating, Drinking A Lot

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been about 24 hours since Kit has been doing this. Every now and then he would throw up what appears to be clear (but actually a bit yellowish upon close observation) saliva...and it's a lot of it! He is not eating, but is drinking a lot. Most of the time he is hunched over by his water bowl like someone who has found water in the desert just before he was about to die of thirst. He is very weak and just laying on his side most of the time. Vet doesn't open till Monday. Any idea whats going on?

P.s. He is not neutered and hasn't never mated (no females around).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's throwing up bile because his stomach has no food in it. It could be kidney problems. Is he urinating okay, or just little drops?

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with M maggiedemi . I am a human doctor, not a vet but the intense thirst is suggestive of kidney failure or possibly diabetes. Is he passing copious urine?

I would not like to see him waiting until Monday. He needs to see a vet urgently, is there an emergency veterinary service available?
With all best wishes to you both,
Geoffrey

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet office anyways and see if there is an after hours messge on what to do for emergencies. There's usually a phone number of another vet office who takes emergencies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for answering everyone.
He is now starting to bleed from his urethra. The blood is dripping out. Not sure if he is peeing. I dont think there is any pee in the litter but i can smell urine where is laying. No emergency vets around here unfortunately. I am really worried. I am not a complete novice when it comes to giving meds (po, im...etc) and there is a human nurse that is willing to help. Any idea what is going on with him?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, this is really serious. It sounds like a UTI. He'll probably need antibiotics from the vet. He needs an emergency vet if you can find one.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When this happened to my cat, the vet immediately gave him an antibiotic shot. Then I had to give him antibiotics in his food for 10 days. I don't think this is something you could do at home.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry.. You cat needs to see a Vet immediately. This is extremely serious.. Please try to find one.. and fast..((hugs))

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artiemom is right, when male cats get blocked, you only have a day or two to get them help. This is the one thing that is very serious for male cats. I hope you can get help quick. Mention UTI and blocked bladder to your vet. Tell him about the bloody urine and that he can't pee. Hopefully he can try some antibiotics. I know some people have to get a catheter or something like that put in to drain their cat's bladder. My cat didn't need that, just the quick antibiotic shot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Human nurse probably means well but I would not trust her to figure out what the proper medicine and proper dose the cat needs. Do not give your cat any kind of Human medicine. Many are toxic to cats. Avoid any home remedies you may come across on the Internet and claims that someone knows what exactly is wrong with your cat and what you should do. There are many trolls out there who deliberately give harmful advice just for the fun of it.

The only advice we can give you is to find a vet who will properly diagonose and treat the cat. Did you try calling your vet to see if there is an after hours message?

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have (vet) antibiotics in hand (marbocyl {inj} and amoxicillin {liquid sus}). I could give it to him right now but im wondering if this is a "physical" problem...like a blockage. If it is a blockage, would the antibiotics help until i can get him to the vet on Monday? Again, been frantically trying to get a vet but its hopeless. So im on my own on this one....appreciate any help (advice) i can get!

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give it to him unless you can talk to a vet on the phone. I would worry that something could go wrong.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
This is a real emergency.. sorry to frighten you, but it could be a matter of life or death, at this point. You cat could be completely blocked, (obstructed) .. Your cat's bladder could burst, yes, it is that serious. Never mind the pain your baby is in....

You cannot waste time by thinking of this or that; or even trying medications at home. You need to take your cat to a Vet, immediately..

If there are not vets around.. please do as LTS3 LTS3 suggests!!! Call your Vet's office, find out who is available for emergencies.. and where to take you cat for an emergency...

Good luck...

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, i understand i need to take him to the vet, like right now, but i can't do that because there is no vet available right now. So my options are pretty limited: I either do nothing and watch him die, or i do something.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't legally give you medical advice. Can you talk to a vet on the phone? It's hard to know if they are the right antibiotics or the right dosage. If we tell you to do that, it could be wrong, and he could die.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, i understand i need to take him to the vet, like right now, but i can't do that because there is no vet available right now. So my options are pretty limited: I either do nothing and watch him die, or i do something.
Ok you call every vet near you. You have a male cat with a urinary blockage. You need the closest emergency center or emergency vet (even if you drive a bit). Call each one you can. Let them know it's an absolute emergency. Remember with the answering service you stress "its a life and death emergency, i need you to call the vet ".

I'm unsure where you live but many rural areas will have a vet willing to get out of bed and meet you in the office.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please, call and leave a message at every vet. I'm sure they will call you back. Do you live in the US? This really isn't something you can treat by yourself. Please hurry.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok,, Where do you live? Is it in the USA? or are you in a different country?
If you are in the USA, there has to be a vet available somewhere. If you are elsewhere, perhaps someone can advise you..

It is 9:30 am Eastern US time zone.. Offices are opening up.. You need to speak to a Vet. You need help..

Can you log into a search engine, and call Vets, down the line, until you find one who can see you...

or is it a matter of transportation?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are vets open on Saturday where you live? I'm so worried about your cat. I wish I could give you advice, but I'm afraid of it being wrong. If you post where you live, maybe we can help you find a vet.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sent you a message. If you're in the US and need help calling vets you can also message me your location. I could help you call vets.

Let us know. Hoping you've found someone.