Hello, Just wanting some information on breeding? Please read and get back to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wrote a long post yesterday and then it disappeared so I may forget something now.

Thank you for re-writing, appreciate your response :)
I don't know where you got the idea you'd be getting money from breeding? You'll be lucky if you break even after all the expenses and if nothing goes wrong. Might be different for huge business catteries, but in the smaller scale it rarely leaves you with nothing 'extra'.
More cats typically means more expenses

Sorry you felt the replies weren't relevant, but all things needed to be said and are very relevant to someone wanting information on breeding as the topic title stated.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you want to acquire a male and female cat who are intact and want to know if they would get along with your neutered cat? This should be the least of your concerns if you are even considering letting the intact male into your home... Whether or not the neutered and unneutered males get along together is irrelevant because no breeder in their right mind would let an intact male out of its cage/enclosure/etc in the first place to wander their home with other animals or not. If they are a breeding pair they need to always be separate from each other except when they are being bred. So whether or not the intact male and female will get along is irrelevant bc they will never SEE each other until breeding time at most once a year. That is a long time for them to be apart. How will you manage with other cats in the home??

So bottom line, I think an intact female and a neutered male should get along just fine after proper introduction. However she might get territorial especially while pregnant and start spraying just like the intact male no doubt will. That intact male isn't even in the picture and should not be living anywhere near the same quarters as the other two or pretty much any other animal for that matter unless you want a house that reeks to high heaven bc that boy is going to spray like crazy.... especially if he senses an in heat female around...

Even if things start out ok, the second he starts to spray that is a habit that will be next to impossible to break. So good luck. I hope this all works out. Also might want to do some more research with reputable breeders, not just random internet searches and realize that breeders go BROKE and if they are lucky BARELY BREAK EVEN. I don't get why you think you will be making any money unless you are skipping out on important tests and vet visits and showing and things like that.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether or not the neutered and unneutered males get along together is irrelevant because no breeder in their right mind would let an intact male out of its cage/enclosure/etc in the first place to wander their home with other animals or not. 
So most of the Scandinavian breeders are out of their minds? Caging cats is illegal here, so that is not an option. All breeders who I personally know keep studs in their home, no one has an enclosure for them. They are kept as pets and family members just like any other cats. I guess I'll have to have my head checked.. I have a stud sleeping under my chair as I type (in my bedroom).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether or not the neutered and unneutered males get along together is irrelevant because no breeder in their right mind would let an intact male out of its cage/enclosure/etc in the first place to wander their home with other animals or not.
:lol3: I have been following this thread and haven't said anything.... until now..... IMHO this is kind of silly.
I am no breeder.... And while today I 100% agree with spaying and neutering your cats, I was raised in Brazil, all my life with cats, males, and none of them, not a single one was neutered. Those cats were either 100% inside, or inside and outside - but mainly 100% inside. While they could go nutty at times...... and the inside/outside cats would go out and disappear for a couple of days come back beaten, and so forth (yeah, no preaching to the choir, I know - it was cultural, and I can't go back on time now), not a single one of them sprayed.
My first cat to be neutered was Sebastian, who I neutered to surrender to a good friend of mine when I moved to the US. She requested to do so. He was an apartment cat, had never been a problem, a sweetheart through and through. At the time he was about 3 years old. Never, not a single time in his entire life did he urinate outside of the litter box, or was aggressive, or had any type of undesirable behavior.
All my cats were sweet, docile, and I loved them very very much - Maybe I was just extremely lucky..... But from first hand experience.... Surely intact males can be inside in my experience just fine.
For moral issues, today, it is not something I would do, and when I go to Brazil, spaying and neutering is something I advocate.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize if i came off rude.. I got the impression that a lot were being quite rude and negative towards me in the beginning.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not rude, but not thinking.  And rather head-in-the-sand about the real problems of breeding.

Care to let us know what breed you are interested in?  If you are going to do this the more people you know into the same breed the better.

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im well aware of problems with breeding, as i have stated in my previous posts. 
And i have also already spoken bout the breed of cat. 
And its not me not thinking or "having my head in the sand"  its me not responding or caring to explain to people who were rude/negative to me to start with. 

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel as though people are just trying to pick a debate or something lol 
I have already explained why i wanted to do breeding and that im doing research/studying. The cats that i am interested in and that would be perfect (Birmans) because i have one. 
Because my partner and i feel its the best breed for us. 
I understand the pros and cons with breeding. 
I also feel as though i could  be good at it because i have a long life passion for animals and because i am willing to put a lot of effort in. And i wont be alone either. 
As i said earlier, I am still new with it obviously and only just now started to take serious interest in it and researching. 
Forgive me if im not so clear or answering/replying to every single post that everyone has posted so far, because obviously its a little hard for me at the moment to keep up with everyone's comments considering there is bout 20 or so. 
So perhaps maybe just keeping it short and sweet with the questions etc.. Then most likely i am able to reply. 

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realized im in the wrong section. I was meant to write in the behaviour. But its hard to know where your meant to thread because a lot of the times my posts get moved because i posted in the wrong section of the forum. So i thought ok breeders corner because my post has a little to do with breeding but mostly just behaviour with cats. 
Oh well.. Live and learn i guess. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im well aware of problems with breeding, as i have stated in my previous posts. 
And i have also already spoken bout the breed of cat. 
And its not me not thinking or "having my head in the sand"  its me not responding or caring to explain to people who were rude/negative to me to start with. 
No-body was rude, and the negative sides of cat breeding were explained as we had no way of knowing if you had thought of them.  Since you didn't respond to those comments, people still had no idea if you had thought about them.  Acknowledging those comments would have gone a long way towards getting a more positive response to your original post.

Finally - my own feelings are that if you have to ask the question you did, maybe you need to learn quite a bit more about cat behaviour before breeding.

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol wow. 

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you needed to scroll up a little and see my previous posts. 
And your "own feelings" come off as a being rude and snobby? yeah. 
Let me ask you this, How many pets have you had so far? Also, are you female or male? 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following this thread and haven't said anything.... until now..... IMHO this is kind of silly.

I don't think it's silly at all. Hormonal boys, usually cannot be kept indoors. I can see how it works in NG's description but many catteries are larger than that and having 2-3 entire boys roaming the house with 5-6 girls isn't practical, nor could you keep matings in check.

I will not use the pill or implant on my girls either.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the OP, if it seems like people are being rude it's because you seem to be ignoring all important points. Like the male to female ratio, whether you've shown a neuter and learnt the breed, whether you plan to show your entires.

All very valid points.

I know lots of Birman breeders, and they won't just hand over 2 entire cats to someone wanting to breed. It can take years to earn that trust from someone, and then start with one girl.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is in no way meant to be negative or condesending to anyone.  My question is why do you want to go into breeding at all?  The cats are much happier as desexed pets, I can tell you for a fact.  The thing that I know bothers a lot of people about this and perhaps they aren't really getting it through in a good way is that there are so, so many unwanted pets in shelters or on the streets.  About 90% of those pets or more in shelters will never make it out alive.  They will be put down because no one wants them.  And the more people there are breeding their pets, the less likely that the shelter pets will be adopted.  There are so many breeders out there already... Some wonderful, some not so much... And if someone hands over a purebred animal with breeding rights and no questions asked, just more money put down on the animal, there are some issues raised with the good breeders.  A good breeder is very protective of their line. 

If you are interested in breeding and I am sure you have done a lot of research... But research online doesn't compare to seeing it live.  Go to a reputable breeders cattery, if they'll let you and look around and talk to them about how to get started.  It's an eye opener.  BIG TIME.  Then after that, go to your local humane society and take a tour and talk to them about how many unwanted animals are put down each week.  This will make you really think twice about your decisions. 

I don't think anyone here is trying to put you down but they may be trying to discourage you from doing this for this very reason.  No one can make you not do this.  But, think of your babies well being first and not just what you and your partner want.  Think of the future kittens.  What are you going to do if they don't "sell"?... Some kittens from each litter don't sell.  Because there are so many people out there breeding their cats and just giving them away.  Free will always top having to pay $$$$ for a furbaby. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's silly at all. Hormonal boys, usually cannot be kept indoors. I can see how it works in NG's description but many catteries are larger than that and having 2-3 entire boys roaming the house with 5-6 girls isn't practical, nor could you keep matings in check.
I will not use the pill or implant on my girls either.
IMHO it is silly.... Read her post again..... She says an intact male, with other animals or not.
Here is the quote again:
To me that is saying that intact males can't be kept inside no matter what, regardless of having girls around or not. Frankly, IMHO that is silly. Had plenty of them, never had an issue.

The way you worded it is different..... You say "usually", and you point out the presence of 2-3 intact boys and 5-6 girls..... in that case I agree with you.
I was referring to her strong/absolute statement, "no breeder in their right mind" and "with other animals or not". That is not usual, and in my experience, not the case at all.

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered I have a video clip which suits this topic to some degree. It shows my 2 neutered boys Utu & Tomu, intact stud Kuura, uspayed female Luna and 3 of Luna's & Kuura's kittens (one had already moved out and 2 were just about to move, I just had them neutered so they were still around). All of them try to hang out in a side table in my kitchen, there was something interesting outside and they all (specially the chatty silver kitten who sits on my coffee maker in the vid) wanted to see. This is a demonstration of how my cats get along with each other and how for example an intact male is there just like the others.

To make this more clear who is who in the vid: Utu is on the farthest left side, longhair. Tomu is the one with folded ears. Luna is the tinier longhair with blue eyes. Kuura is the largest and lightest color silver shaded shorthair who jumps on the table at around 2min and the loud golden kitten plays with his tail. And the kittens are the kittens.

Link: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...KuuraLitter/?action=view&current=MVI_3119.mp4

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me that is saying that intact males can't be kept inside no matter what, regardless of having girls around or not. Frankly, IMHO that is silly. Had plenty of them, never had an issue.
The way you worded it is different..... You say "usually", and you point out the presence of 2-3 intact boys and 5-6 girls..... in that case I agree with you.
I was referring to her strong/absolute statement, "no breeder in their right mind" and "with other animals or not". That is not usual, and in my experience, not the case at all.
she's quite correct, at least among all the breeders I know that's all I can base my experience on, those around me with 10-20 years breeding experience. I wouldn't dare call any of them silly!

Having 2-3 boys and 5-6 girls is normal, they aren't free to interact together.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is for and about "breeding", but I hope I will be allowed this post in the interest of cats, all of whom I love and care deeply about.  I don't know where you are, but in the US and UK and Australia, as well as many Asian, African, European, etc., nations, there are far more cats needing homes than there are homes for.  Millions of sweet, loving and deserving cats, all of whom are beautiful, lose their lives annually in the US, for instance, because there are not loving homes for them.  This is the situation worldwide, I believe, with few exceptions.  Therefore, I ask you to reconsider your plan.  If you truly love cats -- and I hope and pray you do -- please do not do this.  Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.