Hello fellow cat lovers!

alaskakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm Tamera, a registered nurse and B&B owner in Alaska. I have 9 wonderful cats! Muffin, Meco, Mizzy, Jayde, JoJo, George, Critter, Casper, and Cocoa Puff. I also do volunteer work at the local animal shelter (and you wonder why I have 9 cats!!!) All of my kitties were either strays, shelter cats, and one that was scheduled to be killed by previous owner because he was vicious! (So, not the case...he is a big baby with the right people.)

I have been looking for a forum with other cat lovers and it looks like this is the place!

My kitties are my antidepressant in life. I had a bad year in 2007, broken left ankle and right foot surgery so I spent 6 weeks in casts on both feet, and I ended up with 2 brain tumors which were removed 12/19/07 after 2 years of bad health. My kitties got me through so much and I love each and every one of them.

My kitties:
Muffin - a 17 year old callico maine coone mix that I got from a shelter in Florida. She is the queen of the household and everyone else knows it!

Meco - 13 year old boy. Big orange boy (22 pounds) He is a big baby that just loves to lie around and be lazy!

Mizzy- he is 12 weeks, tuxedo, and I have had him since he was 5 days old. He was left in a dumpster with his two siblings that died. Someone heard him and brought him to the shelter. I agreed to foster him and then just didn't have the heart to give him away.

George 5 years old. He is the big (24 pounds) ragdoll that was going to be killed because he was supposed to be mean. George is the biggest baby there is. He was a bit angry when we first brought him home, but now he follows our guests around like a puppy.

JoJo He will be 3 in April. A grey kitty who loves to go on the drift boat with us and go fishing. He will sit on the dock and cry if we don't take him. Gets a lot of strange looks from other fishermen and guides!

Jayde 4 years old multi gray kitty who was adopted from the shelter here after he was there for 90 days and was on the countdown list to be euthenized. I just couldn't bear it, so here he is with us. A fun guy who loves to have his belly rubbed!

Casper He will be one year old on Thursday (he is my birthday kitty, born on my B-day). He is a solid white baby also from the shelter and we got him as a kitten when JoJo developed a new past-time of chewing through cords in the house because he was bored. The older cats didn't want to play, so we got Casper.

Critter a calico kitty that is about 5 months old now. She was abused when he was 2 months old by some kids that broke her tale and were throwing her in the air. The shelter was called to pick her up. We tried to find her a home but everytime someone would try to take her out of the kennel she would claw and bite and try to get back in. They put in the the "Q" quaranteen to be put down and I took her home. She will let you pet her sometimes, but refuses to be picked up. Casper and Critter are best friends and she will walk around the house and cry if she can't find him!

Cocoa Puff He is the latest. A stray that showed up at the house but was too afraid to come near us. I finally put a bed w/ a heating pad in at outside and there he was sleeping one morning. Once he figured out we were ok, he is now mr. Lovebug! He looks like George with his big blue eyes. He looks like a Birman to me. He is a polydactyl as well with 6 toes on front and 5 on back. He has made himself quite at home and is fitting in well with our other babies.

I have a very understanding hubby who just looks down when a new one arrives and says well, what's their name?! One of my babies, Stormy just passed away about 5 months ago and my hubby made the most beautiful coffin for him.

Sorry for the long posting, just easy to talk about my kitties. I also love meeting new people, hense the reason I own a lodge here in Alaska. So, if anyone is planning to visit Alaska, I know a great place to stay!

Tamera

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Sounds like you have a wonderful crew and a fascinating life! Please feel free to head on over to Fur Pics and share photos of the crew

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have come to the right place to talk about your kitties, that's for sure!

DH and I quit our jobs and got rid of most of our stuff and hit the road in 1994 - we were in NY and were on our way to Alaska. We drove to Washington and headed -well - a little bit back East and then North. We left later than we should - but we would have stopped in White Horse anyway. The road essentially ran out, and the paint had already been peeled off the front of the car we were towing!

So we never made it to Alaska.

Is there a problem with ferals there? How do they manage the winter?
And we worry about the ferals here in NJ over the winter!

All of our kitties are feral rescues. We can't stand any of the shelters around here, so we rescue on our own.

But welcome to TCS - and have fun exploring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome Tamara!!

You sound like a woman of my own heart. 11 cats (and 3 dogs) here, and all of mine were either born feral, were dumped, or came off the streets. I used to be more active in our local shelter, but my job has prevented me from doing as much as I used to, so now I simply donate things (see my siggie) and raise funds for them when I can.

We are a good group here, and I hope you find as much pleasure and value here as I've found over the last 6 years.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I love your kities names. I had a White Persian girl called Muffin! She has been rehomed now.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
Milky
y Horacio
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina ,Milky & Horatio say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about out kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you join us!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome Tamera,

I am so glad that you and your furfamily have join us here at TheCatSite.
I love Alaska and if I ever go back for a visit, your B&B will be where I stay.
Please make yourself at home.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions