Hello everyone - New Member - Purchased my first ever cat! [American Long Hair & Chartreux Kitten Mix]

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good evening everyone,

I am 31 years old and I have my own apartment and I live by myself and work from home. I just purchased a cat (American Long Hair & Chartreux Kitten Mix) and I have some questions about how to prepare for my feline companion and wanted to ask a couple question about the purchasing process. :cool2:

I saw an ad on Kijiji/Marketplace for 5 kittens (4 Black and 1 Grey). The Black ones were $150 and the Grey one went for $200 and was already on hold for someone but I managed to get it and also get $50 off so I got it for $150. My reasoning for the discount request was that the seller was not going to give the cat any shots/deworming or any Vet care whatsoever so that falls on me on the 8th week when I am picking it up (which is another thing I wanted to ask about).

I know Chartreux kittens are relatively expensive but I am still wondering how much does a mixed one such as the one I purchased go for usually. According to a couple Google searches I found these paragraphs:

They are among the most expensive cat breeds in the world. A Chartreux kitten price ranges from $1000 – $1500 depending upon the breeder you purchase from. Caring of Chartreux Cats The Chartreux cats have a thick and short coat which is easily taken care for with weekly brushing.
How Much Does a Chartreux Cost? It costs around $75-$150 to adopt a Chartreux. Conversely, it can be prohibitively expensive to buy a Chartreux from a breeder -- they are usually somewhere in the $500-$1,500 range.
Average $1500 - $2000 USD
In general, "one gets what one pays for....". An Excellent pedigree Chartreux kitten price ranges from $2000 to $2500 depending upon the breeder you purchase from.
So as soon as I got to her place I asked her whether it was a good idea for me to walk inside considering Covid and that the kittens WERE ONLY BORN YESTERDAY :hyper:

She then said it was okay and let my friend and myself into her basement apartment and was super friendly while having all of our questions answered. She then reached to grab the kitten I purchased and I tried to stop her because I was under the impression you're not supposed to handle them before a bond was made between the mother cat and the kitten. I heard mama cat can reject her kitten because of the human scent. She later grabbed it again and let me hold it and I was so overwhelmed by everything that I didn't try to stop her too much but still worry that I could have "broken" the cat by handling it for a minute and also it was really scared so I hope I didn't instill some anxiety in it or some other sort of mental trauma. I know I am probably way over the top but I don't know much so maybe you could make sense out of it all for me. Mama cat got up this time as it took longer to return her kitten and started walking towards me, when I said we should put it back and she grabbed it in her mouth and placed it beside her and then licked it so it seems that everything turned out well but I will definitely not do this again. It was the most adorable moment though. I fell in-love with it and even the mother cat.

Obviously by now you know she is not a breeder. She lets her cat (American Long Hair) play with the neighbor's cat (Chartreux) and it got pregnant so she is positive that this is the correct breed, even though we can't even tell if it is a male/female. By the way... If it is Grey and the mother is Black... Does that mean that my kitten is MOSTLY Chartreux or there is no way to know how many % it is of each breed until it grows and you can examine it closer and have a better idea. Also her cat is pretty small, does it mean mine will most likely be on the smaller side?

Considering she is not a breeder, I was worried about how the kitten will turn out 8 weeks later so can you please let me know how to properly care for it for the first 8 weeks or you pretty much just leave it alone and let mama cat do her job? (by the way is it MUCH better to wait at least 10 weeks or not a big difference when I separate it from his mother after 8 weeks) I am not even sure how the mother cat doesn't go into depression when her kittens are being taken away. I was wondering if I bred my cat once (if it's a female) will it have severe repercussions on its mental state after, or it's in their nature to let go and get over it.

What are the most important items to buy right away? I want to put it on a decent meal plan (wet/dry) so I will go to a specialty food store and make sure to get a good brand for cat food in order to avoid those crystals (kidney stones) and any other issues which may rise due to a cheap diet. I also want to get an automatic litter box (cleans itself) and a cat tree and bed right away with a couple toys. I want to let it sleep in my bed but I am afraid to hit it or roll over it in my sleep.

I am very happy about the mix as I read about both breeds and they go very well together and are IDEAL for my lifestyle. I also wanted a smaller cat if possible and it seems that it will be on the smaller side, especially if mine is a female. We shall wait and see!

I know I wrote a lot and I hope I will have all of my questions answered. Please, share your knowledge with me so I can give this little one a good life. I never owned a cat or a dog and I know that it is a huge responsibility. The seller was super nice to me and I already paid for the cat in full so she doesn't sell it to anyone. I trust her because she let me into her place and even downloaded WhatsApp to send me updates and invited me back as many times as I would like to come and check on the kitten. I told her I will give her space due to Covid and also since the kitten needs to probably have some quality time with mama cat.

Here are a few pictures :clap:

IMG_20201229_172758.jpg
IMG_20201229_172040.jpg
IMG_20201229_172030.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, what country are you in? I'll go ahead as though you live in the US or Canada, but if not than some things might be different.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't believe these kittens are purebred mixes at all. I think the parents are a black domestic longhair and a gray domestic shorthair and the owner is listing them as purebred mixes so they can charge more. You can ask if the parent cats are registered but I really doubt it. Especially the Chartreaux; people don't generally let a $1500 cat breed willy-nilly with the neighbor cat.

And I think $150 is a bit steep for a domestic kitten with no vet work done. BUT, there's a lot of value in getting a healthy home raised kitten so we'll leave that alone, as long as they do a good job in raising the kittens.

Yes, it's important for the kitten to stay with their mother and littermates for AT LEAST 10 weeks, 12-16 weeks would be better, especially if you don't intend to get 2 kittens. They learn a lot of cat lessons from their mother and siblings in those last few weeks and will be much more well-adjusted. If you're worried about the kitten not getting vet work done, maybe you can take the kitten to the vet yourself and then return him/her to the mother after the appointment. Really, you won't regret making the effort to allow the kitten sufficient time with their cat family. Plus you won't have to worry as much about rolling on the kitten or accidentally injuring it if it's older :).

If it's at all possible, with kittens it's best to get 2. They can play cat games together and keep each other company when you aren't home, and it'll take a lot of pressure off of you being their only companion. They'll still get attached to you just as much and be just as affectionate. I understand you probably can't afford to get 2 from this litter, but perhaps you could find a free kitten or one from a shelter with all vet work done; as long as they're about the same age they'll quickly forget they aren't siblings.

I don't recommend allowing your cat to have a litter, especially since this is your first pet owning experience. It's best for pet cats to be spayed/neutered by 5 months of age to avoid hormonal behaviors and health complications.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you located in the US or Canada? If so, it's extremely unlikely that this lady's neighbor has an unaltered male Chartreux. There are only a handful of Chartreux breeders in the US, and only one breeder in Canada at this time. None would allow a whole male to breed a neighbor's cat. Chartreux breeders in the US and Canada also neuter and spay their pet kittens before placement.

Most likely, the father of this kitten is a blue domestic shorthair. The mother of the litter appears to be a black domestic longhair. The kittens will be domestic longhairs or shorthairs, depending on what coat length they turn out to have.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with these kittens. Most cats are not any particular breed, and that's perfectly fine! However, it is basically the same as getting a kitten from a shelter or rescue, except that a shelter or rescue would normally include basic vet checks, vaccinations, and spay/neuter in the cost of the kitten.

It's best for kittens to stay with their parents and litter mates a bit longer than 8 weeks. 12-14 weeks is best. See if you can talk to the owner about that. The owner should also at least get them vet checked and get a start on their vaccinations, considering the cost of the kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As just a business tip, do ask the owner for a written contract, because right now you've just handed them $150 with no proof and no kitten in hand. She could very well give the kitten to someone else and keep your money and you would have no recourse. I hope she's honest, and if she is, she won't have a problem signing a contract. I'm sure you can find a template online.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She then reached to grab the kitten I purchased and I tried to stop her because I was under the impression you're not supposed to handle them before a bond was made between the mother cat and the kitten. I heard mama cat can reject her kitten because of the human scent. She later grabbed it again and let me hold it and I was so overwhelmed by everything that I didn't try to stop her too much but still worry that I could have "broken" the cat by handling it for a minute and also it was really scared so I hope I didn't instill some anxiety in it or some other sort of mental trauma.
Just to reassure you about this part, handling a newborn kitten is fine for the kitten and mother, as long as it isn't excessive. Friendly mother cats don't reject a kitten after it is handled. Kittens don't suffer mental trauma after being gently held, either. Of course, kittens and mothers do need plenty of peaceful time together, too... newborn kittens are fragile, and shouldn't be constantly handed around as though the nursery is a petting zoo. But gentle handling a few times a day is just fine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regardless, you have an adorable kitten! 10-12 weeks is when it should come to you...however...if the owner of the mother insists, take the kitten, and we'll help you through the proper socialization. Better for you to have that kitten early than it stay, and possibly end up in the hands of someone who doesn't really care that much, or be handed off to a shelter.

Yes, you're going to have a LOT of questions. What I suggest you do is to write them down in order of importance, and then post each one in the proper forum, where everyone will see them. You'll get lots of responses.

Can't wait to see pictures of that precious baby as s/he grows up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, what country are you in? I'll go ahead as though you live in the US or Canada, but if not than some things might be different.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't believe these kittens are purebred mixes at all. I think the parents are a black domestic longhair and a gray domestic shorthair and the owner is listing them as purebred mixes so they can charge more. You can ask if the parent cats are registered but I really doubt it. Especially the Chartreaux; people don't generally let a $1500 cat breed willy-nilly with the neighbor cat.

And I think $150 is a bit steep for a domestic kitten with no vet work done. BUT, there's a lot of value in getting a healthy home raised kitten so we'll leave that alone, as long as they do a good job in raising the kittens.

Yes, it's important for the kitten to stay with their mother and littermates for AT LEAST 10 weeks, 12-16 weeks would be better, especially if you don't intend to get 2 kittens. They learn a lot of cat lessons from their mother and siblings in those last few weeks and will be much more well-adjusted. If you're worried about the kitten not getting vet work done, maybe you can take the kitten to the vet yourself and then return him/her to the mother after the appointment. Really, you won't regret making the effort to allow the kitten sufficient time with their cat family. Plus you won't have to worry as much about rolling on the kitten or accidentally injuring it if it's older :).

If it's at all possible, with kittens it's best to get 2. They can play cat games together and keep each other company when you aren't home, and it'll take a lot of pressure off of you being their only companion. They'll still get attached to you just as much and be just as affectionate. I understand you probably can't afford to get 2 from this litter, but perhaps you could find a free kitten or one from a shelter with all vet work done; as long as they're about the same age they'll quickly forget they aren't siblings.

I don't recommend allowing your cat to have a litter, especially since this is your first pet owning experience. It's best for pet cats to be spayed/neutered by 5 months of age to avoid hormonal behaviors and health complications.
I am in Toronto, Canada.

This is the normal price here in Canada even for a normal Tabby. Usually comes with the first Vaccine if it costs over $100 but not always.

I guess it makes sense that the other cat is a pure Chartreux (especially after watching some YouTube videos and learning how rare they are) Maybe I could ask to see the neighbor's supposed Chartreux and see for myself. Either way from what I understand you are saying it might be a Chartreux who mated with the seller's cat but it was not a pure-bred Chartreux (correct?)

I guess I wanted to have it in my place earlier to enjoy it while it's tiny and also for fear of anything happening to it if I over-wait. Though, if it will make my cat stupider and less social and less healthy, it's worth asking to let it stay there for at least 10 weeks. I don't know HOW MUCH difference the extra 2-4 weeks will make but I am not an expert on this matter.

What kind of Vet work does the cat need when it is a newborn kitten? Do I just take him to the vet and ask for him to be generally examined for any issues if there are any at all? Aside from that make sure it gets the shots and deworming but that's later. Please let me know.

I wish I could get 2 right now but I can BARELY afford this one. If you want to make sure the cat gets great care and an awesome life I believe it will cost on average 2k a year.

I hear you. I wouldn't do it but I was curious.

Are you located in the US or Canada? If so, it's extremely unlikely that this lady's neighbor has an unaltered male Chartreux. There are only a handful of Chartreux breeders in the US, and only one breeder in Canada at this time. None would allow a whole male to breed a neighbor's cat. Chartreux breeders in the US and Canada also neuter and spay their pet kittens before placement.

Most likely, the father of this kitten is a blue domestic shorthair. The mother of the litter appears to be a black domestic longhair. The kittens will be domestic longhairs or shorthairs, depending on what coat length they turn out to have.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with these kittens. Most cats are not any particular breed, and that's perfectly fine! However, it is basically the same as getting a kitten from a shelter or rescue, except that a shelter or rescue would normally include basic vet checks, vaccinations, and spay/neuter in the cost of the kitten.

It's best for kittens to stay with their parents and litter mates a bit longer than 8 weeks. 12-14 weeks is best. See if you can talk to the owner about that. The owner should also at least get them vet checked and get a start on their vaccinations, considering the cost of the kittens.
Toronto, Canada. Yeah it seems to be a popular opinion this thread, you guys probably make a good point but it might still be a Chartreux, only not a pure-bred one, correct?

So you're positive it is a "regular" cat or is there still a good chance it is what she says it is but the Chartreux was not a pure-bred one. Either or it's fine, still an okay price for what I was looking for. I was hoping to find a home raised BRAND NEW kitten and I even got to see mine a day after it was born. Feels like getting a new car haha. Most amazing cats I met were "regular" non-specialized breed cats. I was just looking at this as a bonus but who knows what it will turn out to be really 100%.

Usually kittens I see coming from Shelters or Rescue have mental or even physical trauma in their history. I wanted to avoid that as I don't have that experience to deal with a cat which requires such special care. Not saying it always happens but much higher chance. In my opinion at least.

Is a basic Vet check something usually cheap? As it's just meant to check if the cat is A-OK. I wonder at what week # I should take the cat for that check. I have a feeling she would be totally fine with that.

It's so hard for me to willingly let it stay there longer than 8 weeks, let alone 10 or 12 weeks... Then again, at what cost? If it won't be as developed as it could have been if I let it be, I prefer to wait the 10 or 12 weeks.

The cost of the cat was $150CAD. If you check Kijiji (which is our Craigslist alternative) you will see that this price for this type of a cat is not really expensive, at least from my searches. Only when they cost over $100 the "normal cats" usually come with at least the basic vet check and the first round of vaccines as well as deworming, but sometimes they don't.

As just a business tip, do ask the owner for a written contract, because right now you've just handed them $150 with no proof and no kitten in hand. She could very well give the kitten to someone else and keep your money and you would have no recourse. I hope she's honest, and if she is, she won't have a problem signing a contract. I'm sure you can find a template online.
Yeah I got everything recorded but maybe a contract would be a good idea. I will ask her after New Years. I E-Transferred it to her.

Just to reassure you about this part, handling a newborn kitten is fine for the kitten and mother, as long as it isn't excessive. Friendly mother cats don't reject a kitten after it is handled. Kittens don't suffer mental trauma after being gently held, either. Of course, kittens and mothers do need plenty of peaceful time together, too... newborn kittens are fragile, and shouldn't be constantly handed around as though the nursery is a petting zoo. But gentle handling a few times a day is just fine.
Thank you. Just found information online saying the opposite so I wasn't sure.

Regardless, you have an adorable kitten! 10-12 weeks is when it should come to you...however...if the owner of the mother insists, take the kitten, and we'll help you through the proper socialization. Better for you to have that kitten early than it stay, and possibly end up in the hands of someone who doesn't really care that much, or be handed off to a shelter.

Yes, you're going to have a LOT of questions. What I suggest you do is to write them down in order of importance, and then post each one in the proper forum, where everyone will see them. You'll get lots of responses.

Can't wait to see pictures of that precious baby as s/he grows up!
Thank you! I think so too. Considering I wanted an OCD-like situation meaning a perfect situation where I know what happened since the kitten's birth. Helps me feel better about the whole process for some reason. Then again... I have to WAIT for 3 months now cause I decided to ask the seller to let it stay there for 12 weeks instead of 8. I will just come visit periodically. I will definitely write my questions down and research them. If anything is unclear I know I can count on you good people.

I will definitely post videos and picture

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way from what I understand you are saying it might be a Chartreux who mated with the seller's cat but it was not a pure-bred Chartreux (correct?)
[...]
So you're positive it is a "regular" cat or is there still a good chance it is what she says it is but the Chartreux was not a pure-bred one. Either or it's fine, still an okay price for what I was looking for. I was hoping to find a home raised BRAND NEW kitten and I even got to see mine a day after it was born. Feels like getting a new car haha. Most amazing cats I met were "regular" non-specialized breed cats. I was just looking at this as a bonus but who knows what it will turn out to be really 100%.
The male cat is extremely unlikely to have any Chartreux ancestry at all. There's only one active Chartreux breeder in Canada right now. That breeder doesn't live close to you, she has just a few breeding cats, and when she sells kittens they are spayed / neutered before they are placed. The only way the cat might be a Chartreux would be if the neighbor recently imported the cat themselves from Europe... in which case they would have registration papers and a pedigree to show you. If they do not have documentation for the cat, you can be pretty sure that it is a "regular" blue cat, not a Chartreux or "mix."

So, you are going to have another amazing "non-specialized breed" cat... which is perfectly okay! :)

Newborn kittens do not need to go to the vet unless they are sick. Kittens normally start getting vet checks and vaccinations around 8 weeks of age.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think $150 for a kitten is outrageous. That's what our rescues charge, at least they did seven years ago. Everybody in this thread has given you excellent advice, and many of the articles onsite may be helpful. Relax, you're doing okay for now, and the 12 weeks will go by faster than you think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it might still be a Chartreux, only not a pure-bred one, correct?
If he's a Chartreaux, he's purebred; if he's not purebred, he's not a Chartreaux :).
What kind of Vet work does the cat need when it is a newborn kitten?
Nothing as a newborn (unless they get sick of course). Usually first de-worming is around 6-8 weeks and first vaccine around 8 weeks. So if the seller is keeping the kitten for 12 weeks you may want to take it to the vet around 8 weeks for shots and de-worming, if they aren't willing to do it. Although if the mother is an indoor cat and the owners don't have a lot of other cats it'll probably be fine if you wait until you get the kitten.

Vet prices vary widely based on location and individual vet, so you could start calling vets in your area to get an idea of what things will cost.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think $150 for a kitten is outrageous. That's what our rescues charge, at least they did seven years ago.
Yeah but rescues usually do all the vet work so you're actually paying less in the long run.

But it's great if Canada has made enough progress against overpopulation that people will actually pay good money for an unvetted kitten. Around here we can barely give them away even with full vetting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's an adorable little kitty! Do get the contract and let the kitten stay with momma for 12 weeks makes a major difference.
I am working on it right now and going to speak with her closer to the end of the work day, hopefully she will be on-board.

The male cat is extremely unlikely to have any Chartreux ancestry at all. There's only one active Chartreux breeder in Canada right now. That breeder doesn't live close to you, she has just a few breeding cats, and when she sells kittens they are spayed / neutered before they are placed. The only way the cat might be a Chartreux would be if the neighbor recently imported the cat themselves from Europe... in which case they would have registration papers and a pedigree to show you. If they do not have documentation for the cat, you can be pretty sure that it is a "regular" blue cat, not a Chartreux or "mix."

So, you are going to have another amazing "non-specialized breed" cat... which is perfectly okay! :)

Newborn kittens do not need to go to the vet unless they are sick. Kittens normally start getting vet checks and vaccinations around 8 weeks of age.
This is starting to make sense, thanks for re-iterating. Btw what is a blue cat? Is it a regular cat with a Blue coat or a different breed? I think she just didn't know and the neighbor's cat is a British Shorthair which is a breed often mistaken for Chartreux and I wouldn't mind having one of those either, let alone for $150. Even if it is a "regular" as regular as they get, as long as it is happy and healthy, I am happy. I also like that it has that Grey coat.

Most interesting cats I met ended up being "regular" cats or the owners would say something like "We were told it was an X breed but turns out it is a different one" I guess that is common. Once again, as long as it is happy and healthy I am good!

I will make sure to take it to the Vet when it is 8 weeks old for a general check-up making sure it is healthy and strong and give it its first shot/deworming.

I don't think $150 for a kitten is outrageous. That's what our rescues charge, at least they did seven years ago. Everybody in this thread has given you excellent advice, and many of the articles onsite may be helpful. Relax, you're doing okay for now, and the 12 weeks will go by faster than you think.
Exactly. People in the US feel like it is because things in the US are usually a lot cheaper than in Canada lol. Over here you COULD get a free cat, it's not unheard of at all but normally if you buy one it will be around 100-300 bucks (I just saw a few for $75 with a bunch of extra and Vet visit as well).

It really depends. I feel like what I am paying for here is a "natural" experience. It is not a breeder (which does worry me cause I need to make sure she knows how to raise the kittens properly) but she has a 2 year old cat and I believe the mama cat will do most of the work.

I have this theory that kittens which come from a cat who was bred multiple times might not be as healthy as the mother cat was put through that tough process several times. Won't the mother cat feel depressed every time the kittens are taken away from her? Let alone the physical strain on her body. I also love how I get to see it grow from day 1.

People on this forum are definitely life-savers. I love you guys for being so kind and informative.

My friend keeps telling me he got his Scottish Fold on his 8th week and that I will miss our on the best "Kitten" period if I wait that extra month and I agree with him, cause you'll never get that again.

Then again I feel like if I am risking the kitten's development, it is not worth taking it from his litter that early. If I am okay with waiting the 12 weeks; does it make much difference if I wait 14 or 16 weeks? What would be different between taking it from the litter at 8 weeks vs 12 or 16 weeks?

What an adorable little thing!:loveeyes:
Yes I fell in-love right away! :loveeyes:

If he's a Chartreaux, he's purebred; if he's not purebred, he's not a Chartreaux :).

Nothing as a newborn (unless they get sick of course). Usually first de-worming is around 6-8 weeks and first vaccine around 8 weeks. So if the seller is keeping the kitten for 12 weeks you may want to take it to the vet around 8 weeks for shots and de-worming, if they aren't willing to do it. Although if the mother is an indoor cat and the owners don't have a lot of other cats it'll probably be fine if you wait until you get the kitten.

Vet prices vary widely based on location and individual vet, so you could start calling vets in your area to get an idea of what things will cost.
Yes I agree, I was really set on getting a kitten and bonus here is that in my case I get to see it grow for 8-12 weeks until I pick it up. I believe I will make myself wait the 12 weeks, I don't want to regret it later. I will pick it up from her at 8 weeks and take it to the vet for its first shot and de-worming and overall first vet checkup, then bring it back and when I pick it up for good, I will take it to the vet again for the 2nd shot and take it home :hyper:

I believe the mother is an indoor cat who gets to play with the neighbor's cat, also indoors.

Yeah I am looking for a good Vet now. Another upside of knowing I purchased the newborn kitten is that I already know when I am getting it and I can plan accordingly.

Yeah but rescues usually do all the vet work so you're actually paying less in the long run.

But it's great if Canada has made enough progress against overpopulation that people will actually pay good money for an unvetted kitten. Around here we can barely give them away even with full vetting.
Yes which is something people from the US need to understand when they tell me I paid too much lol. We don't have as many "Free" Kittens. I mean I am sure I could find a free one but usually they are not the age you want them to be and possibly come with some sort of trauma. I don't have that experience which is necessary to care for a cat like that.

Still for this price you usually get at least the first Vet checkup and shot/de-worming and sometimes a few goodies but I get other benefits from this process which I believe I wouldn't have gotten in other cases.

It is theoretically possible for a cat to be part Chartreux, but mostly only in theory. In my 30 years experience I have known of a few "oops" litters that happened to other breeders (not in my own household, though!) People often assume that blue color is evidence of being a Chartreux or Russian Blue "mix" but in fact, most genuine half-Chartreux I have personally seen were not blue in color, which makes sense since both solid and dilute (blue) are recessives. Instead they were black, or tabby, or black and white bicolor, and I even remember one calico. Of course these oops children were all altered and did not go on to produce any further semi-Chartreux kittens.
Yes it makes sense. Would be cool but even if it isn't I think I am pretty much over it now. I just want the kitten to be healthy, happy and have good temperament. It already looks beautiful.

Thanks for the small lesson, real cool information.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Btw what is a blue cat? Is it a regular cat with a Blue coat or a different breed?
A "regular" cat with a blue coat. Cats aren't like dogs, in that dogs are almost all at least partially some recognizable pure breed or breed mix. Purebred cats make up a very small percentage of the cat population; the vast majority of cats have no breed background at all. Cats usually get on with reproduction without any input from humans so they're simply. . .cats :D. We call them domestic shorthairs (or longhairs).

It's a bit technical, but here's a study about weaning times in kittens:
Early weaning increases aggression and stereotypic behaviour in cats

And this sums it up in easier language:
It is Best for Kittens to Stay with Mom in a Home Environment for 12-14 Weeks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Btw what is a blue cat? Is it a regular cat with a Blue coat or a different breed? I think she just didn't know and the neighbor's cat is a British Shorthair which is a breed often mistaken for Chartreux and I wouldn't mind having one of those either, let alone for $150. Even if it is a "regular" as regular as they get, as long as it is happy and healthy, I am happy. I also like that it has that Grey coat.
Blue is the official term for the gray coat color in cats. It's a color, not a breed, and is fairly common. Most cats aren't any particular breed, and also aren't mixes of breeds, unlike dogs.
I have this theory that kittens which come from a cat who was bred multiple times might not be as healthy as the mother cat was put through that tough process several times.
It really depends on how the cats are cared for. A responsible breeder pays close attention to the welfare and needs of the individual cats, and doesn't allow a female cat to mate unless she is in excellent health and physically and mentally ready to have a litter. Female cats are also stressed by going through repeated heat cycles, so it can also be stressful for a cat to go through many heat cycles without having a litter or being spayed. Since heat cycles can also increase certain health risks, female kittens that are not part of a planned breeding program should preferably be spayed by 4-5 months of age, before the first heat cycle.
My friend keeps telling me he got his Scottish Fold on his 8th week and that I will miss our on the best "Kitten" period if I wait that extra month and I agree with him, cause you'll never get that again.
Then again I feel like if I am risking the kitten's development, it is not worth taking it from his litter that early. If I am okay with waiting the 12 weeks; does it make much difference if I wait 14 or 16 weeks? What would be different between taking it from the litter at 8 weeks vs 12 or 16 weeks?
New owners like your friend nearly always want to get kittens as early as possible. Most kittens do okay when adopted at 8 weeks, but some kittens adopted early will develop behavior issues, especially if they are adopted as a single kitten without a littermate buddy. I see that Willowy already linked the research study I was about to link here, so I won't repeat that.

The immune system is also not fully developed at 8 weeks, so a very young kitten is also somewhat more likely to experience health issues as a result of moving to a new environment.

If you do end up getting your kitten at 8-10 weeks, don't worry, it will probably be fine... and people here can help you with any behavioral or health issues that may come up. It's just not in the kitten's best interest to place them at this age, so breeders (like the one that sold your friend a Scottish Fold) really shouldn't be selling kittens at 8 weeks.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You’ve gotten so much great advice on this thread, and I wanted to pop in to say welcome as a fellow Canadian cat lover!
I also wanted to make one comment, regarding adopting from rescues- some rescue cats certainly come from traumatic backgrounds or have less than ideal starts to life, but for the vast majority of them, you don’t need any special skills to look after a rescue animal!
I’m glad you already feel bonded to this kitten and that you are happy with the route you’ve gone, and at the same time I want everyone reading this to know that rescues and shelters are great places to find a cat companion.
As for price, I agree it’s likely that the owner was hoping to get more for the kittens by saying the father is a purebred cat. $150 seems quite steep to me. I live in a more rural area of Canada where there are dozens of free cats and kittens on kijiji right now, so I actually checked the Toronto SPCA page and their kitten adoption fee is $120, which includes vetting and spay/neuter.
Regardless, getting to see your kitten grow up will be very special, and I’m glad you’re already so fond of the kitten!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know Chartreux kittens are relatively expensive but I am still wondering how much does a mixed one such as the one I purchased go for usually.

. If it is Grey and the mother is Black... Does that mean that my kitten is MOSTLY Chartreux or there is no way to know how many % it is of each breed until it grows and you can examine it closer and have a better idea. Also her cat is pretty small, does it mean mine will most likely be on the smaller side?

1. Re costs of mixes: mixes are almost always cheaper then purebreds, esp if Ooops litters. Usually a quite essential cut. No wonder, technically they are moggies. Unless such a mix is an allowed outcross.

Although here, as the others said, we may be fairly sure parents are two nice domestics.
The kitten should be nice and healthy anyway! May even have the "bastard-boom" becoming extra healthy, because any inbreeding depressions are covered up by the new outcrossing.

2. Nay, skin / hair color is a gene by itself. Its not connected automatically with the great majority of genes. Not in cats anyway! :)

Your grey kitten means only, both parent has the dilution gene. Did you say 4 kittens are black, one grey? So most probably both parents are black, but both hade the dilution gene, and this combo gives usually this result: 1 of 4/5 kittens is grey, the siblings are black.
These statistics arent ironclad in an individual litter, it may vary some, but - they are fairly sure in a 1000 litters.

The kitten will have half of genes from each parent.

If its a female kitten, the probability is the dau will tend to be smallish, as momma. There ARE after all, some maternal lines, some properties taken more after ma. And some perhaps after dad. So for example, its now known, gentle and friendly toms tends to get friendly and easy handleable kittens.

But its not ironclad either. You can see tendencies in 1000 litters, but its impossible to know in 1 litter.[/QUOTE]