Hello. Cat litter and water weirdness

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and I have a cat name Perry, he's 4 years old, that has a lot of quirks and has an interesting temperament personality. I will dive right into the question. I had switched his litter to pine feline over a month ago from clay arm & hammer cat litter which he favors the clay litter, he tend to leisure before he goes into the litter box , so over the course I gradually switched over to the feline pine litter only because I've been doing a lot of research on cat litter. Asides I want to keep things clean, Perry and I healthy from any dusty chemicals that polluting the air.

Ever since I completely switched over to pine litter, I would find small pieces of pellets in his water dish. I took a picture to show you what I'm talking about. I give him fresh water daily. Has anyone else seen this before? Why is my cat dropping pellets in his water?
- Jennifer

Thought to also share a pic of Perry

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Perry is beautiful and looks quite the character!!!  Have you ever caught him sticking his feet in his bowl?  I have an outdoor semi-feral-stray, she's something just not sure which, who sticks her feet in the water a LOT and leaves it nasty.

OR--have you ever seen him chewing on the pellets?  I was using feline pine on a litter of kittens I trapped and they chewed it!!  I had to go to the plain old-fashioned pellet litter to stop them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hbunny -
Thank you for responding. No I've never caught him chewing his pellets, no he doesn't put his paws in water but will glare at the water for few seconds then drink it. I'm not sure what's plain old fashion pellet. How is it done to stop this?? As far with the pellets getting stuck in his paws? He bangs the litter box so loudly after he releases so, I'm sure he shakes it out? Dunno.

Do tell me about your plan to stop him, and your semi stray feral cat. I'm suspecting that Perry is a semi feral stray cat as well

nynnz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MoonStr89 Hi I'm new to this site as well.I have a 12 year old Manx that has always "washed" her feet before taking a drink. Yes washes her feet after after using the box too. I have just gotten in to the habit of changing her water at least twice a day.

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will need to watch see what he does. Normally I'd find pieces pellets when I'm not looking or in the morning

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Hbunny -
Thank you for responding. No I've never caught him chewing his pellets, no he doesn't put his paws in water but will glare at the water for few seconds then drink it. I'm not sure what's plain old fashion pellet. How is it done to stop this?? As far with the pellets getting stuck in his paws? He bangs the litter box so loudly after he releases so, I'm sure he shakes it out? Dunno.

Do tell me about your plan to stop him, and your semi stray feral cat. I'm suspecting that Perry is a semi feral stray cat as well
Well, I changed to a very cheap pellet shaped kitty litter I bought at a dollar store.  I am assuming it didn't smell as good to them, because they stopped chewing on their litter pellets.  They have all now--but one--found great homes and momcat has now been spayed and joined our indoor family!

The outdoor semi-feral stray was dumped near our house last year.  She had a litter of kittens that we managed to trap after she brought them out and up to the house to start eating solid foods.  I've been trying for the last few months to trap her, but she outsmarts us and refuses to even get near the trap.  I think she somehow tripped it once and it scared her, so we've just been trying to be patient, but I fear she will be coming in heat soon.  I really want to get her spayed as soon as possible, but she has been very difficult.  She is a no-touch cat, but will get within 6 feet of me when I am putting out food.  If you turn to go in her direction she takes off.  I just want to trap her and get her spayed and return her to the yard.  She lives under our shed and under our neighbor's shed.

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I changed to a very cheap pellet shaped kitty litter I bought at a dollar store.  I am assuming it didn't smell as good to them, because they stopped chewing on their litter pellets.  They have all now--but one--found great homes and momcat has now been spayed and joined our indoor family!

The outdoor semi-feral stray was dumped near our house last year.  She had a litter of kittens that we managed to trap after she brought them out and up to the house to start eating solid foods.  I've been trying for the last few months to trap her, but she outsmarts us and refuses to even get near the trap.  I think she somehow tripped it once and it scared her, so we've just been trying to be patient, but I fear she will be coming in heat soon.  I really want to get her spayed as soon as possible, but she has been very difficult.  She is a no-touch cat, but will get within 6 feet of me when I am putting out food.  If you turn to go in her direction she takes off.  I just want to trap her and get her spayed and return her to the yard.  She lives under our shed and under our neighbor's shed.
Perry is a funny cat... he's not a touchy cat or cuddling. He likes pets now and then. I will have to look for cheaper pellets litter

You mentioned that the cat is outside and she's difficult to caught there is a video by a woman that advocates TRN you could try this

[VIDEO]][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What type of food are you feeling him? To me it looks like bits of food that has back-washed from his mouth into the water bowl. The Momo-ness will do this occasionally. I don't know what the pine litter looks like, but since Perry is long haired, maybe some of the litter is falling off his coat into the water bowl?

You could do a little test whereby you sprinkle a bit of litter into water and a bit of the food into water and see which one your previous image most closely resembles. Maybe then you can know if it is food or litter. 

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What type of food are you feeling him? To me it looks like bits of food that has back-washed from his mouth into the water bowl. The Momo-ness will do this occasionally. I don't know what the pine litter looks like, but since Perry is long haired, maybe some of the litter is falling off his coat into the water bowl?

You could do a little test whereby you sprinkle a bit of litter into water and a bit of the food into water and see which one your previous image most closely resembles. Maybe then you can know if it is food or litter. 
I almost never seen one piece of pine litter getting stuck on his fur. When he was using clay litter it'd be all over his butt and tail.

That isn't a bad idea with the food and pine pellets test. I feed him Fromm Beef Liváttini Veg dry kibble.

Here's a picture below of what feline pine pellets looks like