Hello and a question on eggs and eggshell

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody. I have just registered on TCS and, wow, what a fabulous site this is - the wealth of knowledge is just incredible and the members are so helpful! I'm so glad I have found this site as raw feeding is not very well known in France.

About 9 months ago, I started feeding my 4 cats raw ground food (Dr Pierson's recipe, but with more variety - chicken, rabbit, lamb, duck and beef - home ground as sadly there is nothing like Hare Today here  

Since they are indoor-outdoor cats, they are great hunters anyway, 3 took to raw at once. They love it and seem to be doing great.

Thanks to the information I have found on this site, I am also now adding probiotics, CoQ10, and colostrum / lactoferrin.

Finally, here is my question: since all my kitties are on their way to seniorhood (9, 10 and 11), I was thinking it might be advisable to drop the phosphorus level in their meals? Touch wood, as far as I am aware, none have any kidney problems, but as a preventive measure, do you think it is advisable or do I simply worry too much?

I was thinking of occasionally using ground eggshell to replace the bones - but one of my kitties (Flip-Flop) seems to have an egg intolerance (she threw up on the few occasions I mixed an egg with their meal). Do you think this intolerance would also apply to ground eggshell or is that a different protein/component?

I know the only way to find out for sure is to try, but just in case one of you has encountered this problem before, I thought I would ask.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is any reason to change the food if they are doing well on it personally.  My cat is 17+ years old, raw fed for 3, she eats prey model raw with bones and her bloodwork last week came back perfect. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to incorporate some eggshell, I see no reason not to. I feed all different kinds of calcium sources - I like variety in EVERYTHING.

And no, the eggshell should not cause any reaction. Just rinse it before drying. The shell is minerals, not protein, and it's proteins that cause problems.

As to the throwing up the egg yolk - it's very nutrition dense. A whole egg yolk may be too much for some kitties. Mine only get 1/4 yolk at a time. Also, using organic eggs may make a difference with that, it surely has for some kitties.