Hello again. I have a few questions

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. Please move it accordingly.

Unfortunately, I had to put my oldest (and last) cat down on June 12th due to him having no use of his back legs anymore. He was 16 yrs old and I still cannot talk about it much. I'm trying to hold myself together even as I'm typing this. I made the decision though and I have to live with it. I just hope it was the correct one. I've also been having a very difficult time with it, too.

Anyhow, I've been thinking of getting two more cats. My wife, believe it or not, isn't really an animal person. I'm the one who wants to start again with new cats since we do no longer have any. She's rather wait a few more months ...or years. Probably until I'm senile and don't realize what's going on around me. Being 46 yrs old myself, I hope that's a long time from now!

Okay, so when we had two cats, I placed four (4) separate littler boxes around the house for them to choose. There is still litter in each box because it was relatively new back when...well, you know. My questions are: Should I remove, clean the boxes and replace the litter it if I were to bring two new kittens into my house? Or should I try to see if they'll still use the litter that's already there? It would be a shame to waste it, but I will if it's recommended. It was only the male cat that has been using the litter boxes recently. My female cat had to be put down last September and I've changed the litter many times since then.

I also have a major issue going into a shelter to look for new cats because I'd want to take all of them home with me, not just two. So there's the dilemma>>> I cannot walk into a shelter and my wife simply doesn't want to. Maybe I should try to raise ants or something... She did agree that if we were to get two more, she wants a red kitten. I'd like to find a black cat only due to the fact that they're normally overlooked because people see them as bad luck. Not me.

Thank you for any advise given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fyi: That's my Puddles in the avatar. Love and miss him, dearly!

linawaary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally would change out all the litter, allow the new cats to put in their own scents rather than be bombarded by a previous cat's scent. Just how I would approach it. But you could always see if the new cats are willing to use the litter boxes, if not then change it out!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely change out all the litter.  It will be too confusing to smell other cats.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your boy.  That must be so hard.  Good for you for wanting to open your home to more cats.  Going to the shelter is daunting, but since it is kitten season there should be lots of kittens that need a home.  I would go and see if you can sit in the cat room.  The cats for you will likely reveal themselves by coming to you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound very caring and knowledgeable about cats, I think you'll do fine! I would definitely change the litter and scrub the boxes, if you want you could keep one box, and see how it goes. I've had cats that use another's box, just because they want to cover up the smell with their own! I would suggest that maybe at the shelter you remain in another room and have the employees bring out the black and red ones, that way you won't be so tempted to rescue them all. I commend you on adopting a black one, you are right in the fact they are often overlooked.

You are doing a very noble thing by adopting again, like a mother with many children, your big heart can love each one differently, for their own uniqueness and personality. Puddles and your girl would be honored to share their space in your heart with another. By passing down the legacies of love they left to you, you are keeping them alive in that heart, the distraction and joy you receive with the new little ones will help to heal that hole that comes from a broken heart. My heart goes out to you for your losses, but I feel joy that you will soon be giving two beautiful felines a chance at happiness and a home full of love and care. Take care and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, all the luck and keep us posted!

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went out yesterday and bought two new 40lb containers of tidy cat (litter) and I'll clean out the boxes as recommended before bringing any other cat(s) in.

Now I just have to figure out what to feed them. My old routine was dry food -always filled- and a can of Fancy Feast once every other day that I split between them.  I read here that some call fancy feast "Kitty Crack", so I do not want to go back to feeding them that particular food. I'll do some research here to see what's recommended.

Again, I thank all of you for the help. I knew I could count on this site

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I went out yesterday and bought two new 40lb containers of tidy cat (litter) and I'll clean out the boxes as recommended before bringing any other cat(s) in.

Now I just have to figure out what to feed them. My old routine was dry food -always filled- and a can of Fancy Feast once every other day that I split between them.  I read here that some call fancy feast "Kitty Crack", so I do not want to go back to feeding them that particular food. I'll do some research here to see what's recommended.

Again, I thank all of you for the help. I knew I could count on this site
Hi there!!  

I'm sorry for your loss. Puddles was gorgeous. He misses you too and he will love you forever. 

I think that it is amazing that you are looking to give 2 more cats the same wonderful life that you gave to Puddles (I love that name BTW!!) and he is too. Cats want all cats to be loved and in good homes. 

Go to a no kill shelter or rescue and let them know what you are looking for. The cats will choose you, not the other way around! 

As far as feeding is concerned, when you mention Fancy Feast, I assume you are referring to the canned? That food has earned a reputation that IMO, it does not deserve. My cats are on an almost exclusive canned food diet and FF is in the rotation but we stick to the classics (pates). These are perfectly fine. My 3 cats are all picky eaters. Here are some tried and true canned foods that we keep in our rotation. The rule of thumb to many people is if you are going to go with a higher end of food paired with a lower end, it''s better to go low end with canned and higher end with dry rather than vice versa. 

My cats eat:

Fancy Feast pates (turkey and giblets is the #1 favorite- we stick to the poultry based flavors)

Friskies pates (poultry based)

Nature's Variety Instinct chicken and LID turkey (pates)

Merrick pates

Pride by Instinct duck, lamb, chicken and rabbit varieties (minced and flaked)

Nature's Recipe grain free shredded chicken- they also like the pate 

Soulistic Good Karma and Harvest Sunrise (these are shredded white meat chicken in a broth like gravy- the HS has bits of pumpkin in it) This is Petco's house brand BTW

Soulistic pate & shreds (newer kind. They didn't like this variety at first but do now-especially with a topper)

If you are looking for a good dry food. Merrick has  good grain free options that are not too expensive: https://www.chewy.com/merrick-before-grain-chicken-formula/dp/29410  and https://www.chewy.com/merrick-purrfect-bistro-grain-free/dp/49263

Nature's Recipe has one that's pretty good despite the potatoes and peas https://www.chewy.com/natures-recipe-grain-free-indoor/dp/110750

You'll need to look for one that is high in protein and low in carbs as that is what cats need due to the fact that they are obligate carnivores. 

Please post pictures of your new babies when you get them and please don't ever think that Puddles would be upset, jealous or anything else other than happy about the new kitties. He loves you and wants you ALL to be happy. He will watch over all of you with much love and care. I think that he will also assist in guiding the right kittens to you so he can have a say in who gets to share your lives and enjoy the same wonderful life he did.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you changed and cleaned the litter boxes. That's the best for new kitties. I don't know that you need four boxes for two kitties unless you have a very large house.

You've gotten some very good recommendations for food. I feed Beyond grain-free dry in the morning and Fancy Feast in the evening. Kitties don't need as much food as it says on the labels.

Have you thought about getting kittens? The shelters are full of adorable kittens right now as the spring babies are grown up enough to be adoptable. New kittens would be a clean break from your older, much loved kitties.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. You're a caring cat parent.

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi there!!  

I'm sorry for your loss. Puddles was gorgeous. He misses you too and he will love you forever. 

I think that it is amazing that you are looking to give 2 more cats the same wonderful life that you gave to Puddles (I love that name BTW!!) and he is too. Cats want all cats to be loved and in good homes. 

Go to a no kill shelter or rescue and let them know what you are looking for. The cats will choose you, not the other way around! 

As far as feeding is concerned, when you mention Fancy Feast, I assume you are referring to the canned? That food has earned a reputation that IMO, it does not deserve. My cats are on an almost exclusive canned food diet and FF is in the rotation but we stick to the classics (pates). These are perfectly fine. My 3 cats are all picky eaters. Here are some tried and true canned foods that we keep in our rotation. The rule of thumb to many people is if you are going to go with a higher end of food paired with a lower end, it''s better to go low end with canned and higher end with dry rather than vice versa. 

Glad you changed and cleaned the litter boxes. That's the best for new kitties. I don't know that you need four boxes for two kitties unless you have a very large house.

You've gotten some very good recommendations for food. I feed Beyond grain-free dry in the morning and Fancy Feast in the evening. Kitties don't need as much food as it says on the labels.

Have you thought about getting kittens? The shelters are full of adorable kittens right now as the spring babies are grown up enough to be adoptable. New kittens would be a clean break from your older, much loved kitties.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. You're a caring cat parent.
Thank you for the replies. I thought that Fancy Feast was frowned-upon for most cat owners, but I'm glad to hear that it's not what I initially had in mind.

The cat boxes are cleaned and disinfected, and I'm waiting to put the litter in once I have the cats. I'm going to keep the 4 boxes only because they still remind me of my other two cats. I do not have the heart to put them in storage or throw them away. I guess I'm just weird like that. I'll also feel better that they'll always have a clean box somewhere around the house...if needed.

I haven't found a no-kill around my area. I talked to a volunteer today at a local pet shop and they said that they only the cats were put down only in a "worse case scenario." I'm still not too comfortable, even with those odds.  Like I said, I'm just weird that way. I'm going to call a shelter though and put my request in for two (1 red and 1 black) kittens that are siblings.

Okay, I thank all of you who have given advise and helped me through this rough time. My other two cats are still in my heart and all I can do is to keep them there.

Thanks again,

Marc

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I thought that Fancy Feast was frowned-upon for most cat owners, but I'm glad to hear that it's not what I initially had in mind.

The cat boxes are cleaned and disinfected, and I'm waiting to put the litter in once I have the cats. I'm going to keep the 4 boxes only because they still remind me of my other two cats. I do not have the heart to put them in storage or throw them away. I guess I'm just weird like that. I'll also feel better that they'll always have a clean box somewhere around the house...if needed.

I haven't found a no-kill around my area. I talked to a volunteer today at a local pet shop and they said that they only the cats were put down only in a "worse case scenario." I'm still not too comfortable, even with those odds.  Like I said, I'm just weird that way. I'm going to call a shelter though and put my request in for two (1 red and 1 black) kittens that are siblings.

Okay, I thank all of you who have given advise and helped me through this rough time. My other two cats are still in my heart and all I can do is to keep them there.

Thanks again,
Marc
Where is the pet shop getting kittens from? I would avoid a pet shop if at all possible. Adopting from a kill shelter is ok too. You are saving animals that might not otherwise make it, and every cat you adopt opens up a new space in the shelter. Something to think about.

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where is the pet shop getting kittens from? I would avoid a pet shop if at all possible. Adopting from a kill shelter is ok too. You are saving animals that might not otherwise make it, and every cat you adopt opens up a new space in the shelter. Something to think about.
Sorry, forgot to mention that.

They (PetSmart) get their cats from a local animal welfare league. This place to be exact: http://www.awlshelter.org/

I called and left my request with them yesterday. If I can avoid walking in to see the other animals, I will, only because I would not be able to leave until I rescued all of them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They (PetSmart) get their cats from a local animal welfare league. This place to be exact: http://www.awlshelter.org/

I called and left my request with them yesterday. If I can avoid walking in to see the other animals, I will, only because I would not be able to leave until I rescued all of them.
Oh, that's fine! I was worried it was a kitten farm kind of situation like some pet stores support. I do really recommend that you meet some kittens before you adopt, though. Going solely off of coloring may not find you the personalities you are looking for.

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I might just have them bring out a few different cats to see if they like me or not. I just cannot go in "that area" to see the other ones. Free-roaming or not. I'd turn into one of those people you'd see on the news and I'm sure a divorce would follow...

I was also told to sit and let the cats pick ME out. See if they actually come to me as I'm sitting there. My Puddles did that, but I found him on the streets of Philly. I saw him from across the street, called to him, he ran over and jumped into my lap and immediately began purring. No tag/ID on him, so I decided that he was to never live on the streets again.  I took him to get fixed and the vet estimated that he was  around 5 months old.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I might just have them bring out a few different cats to see if they like me or not. I just cannot go in "that area" to see the other ones. Free-roaming or not. I'd turn into one of those people you'd see on the news and I'm sure a divorce would follow...

I was also told to sit and let the cats pick ME out. See if they actually come to me as I'm sitting there. My Puddles did that, but I found him on the streets of Philly. I saw him from across the street, called to him, he ran over and jumped into my lap and immediately began purring. No tag/ID on him, so I decided that he was to never live on the streets again.  I took him to get fixed and the vet estimated that he was  around 5 months old.
Yes, exactly. The cats will pick you!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would also see if there are any other rescues in the area.  I adopted two of my four cats from a smaller local rescue that does adoptions out of Petsmart and Petco near me.  The volunteers at this rescue really know the cats and kittens in their care. They often make recommendations to help people find the right cat for their household. Also some rescues use foster homes for their cats.  You may be able to find one that does this where you can go and see the cats at their foster home.  This may help with your urge to adopt everyone because the cat is already in a stable loving place until they find the right new home.

You can also ask the organization you already contacted if they have recommendations as to which cat would be a good fit for you.  This may help with you wanting to adopt everyone.

I also agree that cats are very good at choosing who they want to go home with.  My youngest cat Casey adopted my hubby by running up his arm and perching on his shoulder. Apollo adopted me by climbing into my lap to take a nap after he got tired while I was playing with him.

I am very sorry for your loss of Puddles.  I  had to make the same difficult decision for two senior boys that had been in my life since birth.  My boys had the same issue you described with Puddles and I had to make the same difficult decision.  Even when you can clearly see it is time it does not make the decision any easier of less painful or easier.  My perspective on adopting a new baby after a loss is that you are honoring the love you and memories you shared with Puddles by giving another baby a chance to have the same thing.  Your new baby will never replace Puddles.  The new baby will have their own personality and create new memories of their own to help fill the hole in your heart.  Perhaps using this explanation with your wife will make it easier for her to understand why you need and want to adopt a new baby.  One of my friends found this to be helpful when she was having a hard time deciding if she was ready to adopt a new baby after a very unexpected loss for her.