height = attitude?

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I apologize if this is a stupid question in advance.

I have 2 pet cockatiels and I know that if they are up too high, they do get an attitude that they are dominant over you - that they are the flock leader. I was wondering if this also applies to cats.

We got this scratching post/stand for Batman (7 months old) that actually goes all the way our 7 foot ceilings - it has the base and then 3 perches he can sit on and a rubber thing that does stick to the ceiling so it can't topple over. I got it so he could have some vertical climbing space. If he's on the top perch, he's basically slightly above our head level!

He likes to get on that top perch, wait for us to walk by, then smack us in the head.

I thought this was cute at first, but I am wondering if it's going to give him an attitude?

Before we had this huge post, he would hide behind something, wait for us to walk by, then smack us in the leg. 90% of the time his claws are not out and he's probably just playing, but I want to make sure this isn't an issue.

Here is the post - this was taken the 1st day and he wasn't quite comfortable with it. Now he is usually on that higher perch. It is quite safe in case anyone is wondering.

Let me know if this tall stand is a bad idea or if he's just having fun.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shelly does that, and he's just having fun.
To us it means "grab a wand toy and play with me so I can jump around the cat tree."
Our kitties LOVE the cat trees! We have two next to each other, with window seats for them next to the cat trees, and the games of "chase" in which they engage are WILD. They LOVE it!

...and our little deaf Flowerbelle LOVES being up so she can survey everything and no one can sneak up on her.

I haven't noticed any of our 7 develop an attitude from being up.
I have no experience with birds, so it never occurred to me to even look for the "attitude" - but I sure haven't noticed it.

GREAT cat tree!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience with raising birds, height = dominance.

In households with multiple cats, the dominant/alpha cats tend to get the highest perches, so they can lord over their subjects from on high.

I don't know about attitude as much as I do "catitude" but I do think that an animal that is above your head will feel a bit superior to you.

When raising birds, it is best to keep them below eye level so that they know for certain they are not the little bosses.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is an interesting thread; I never knew that about birds!

As for cats, I can tell you that at least one of my three thinks he's the boss, but I doubt it has anything to do with our having a cat tree. I think it's just in his nature! The cat who spends the most time up there is the one who's closest to me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed it with mine. Whatever cat is on the tallest perch will act pushier towards the others and will even take play fighting a bit further in order to knock the other cat off. I've also seen Sho trying to stare down Siri from atop the bed (he doesn't like her
).
My quick solution for when things get a tad heated is just to put everyone on the floor and shoo them off into doing something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Off-topic birdie diversion: I have 2 tiels. At night when it's time for bed and I'm getting ready to cover the cage, they race up to their sleeping perches. For a while, they would "fight" over their favorite perch at night - go figure, that coveted perch was the highest one. So now there are 2 perches high up in the cage - at same height so one is not "better" - but far away enough that they can't mess with each other for the most part.

I learned the hard way with them that rushing introductions is not a good thing... They are ok together, but I was sooo excited to have 2 birdies together (having visions of them being the best of friends) that I didn't do it gradual enough... and they are NOT the best of friends... but they are tolerating roommates of eachother, except when a tail gets in someone's face and makes the other mad, etc. I'll be sure to do super slow introductions with Batman & Patches further down the road...

Back to the kitties - Batman is a love bug when he is not "I am playing and will destroy you!" mode.
I'll let him be King of the Cat Tower unless I see him starting to get kinda mean.
(Cat tower was $40 at Walmart in case anyone wants their own doom tower)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

(Cat tower was $40 at Walmart in case anyone wants their own doom tower)
I've looked at that one wondering if it was sturdy - is it? I'd like something tall but not too wide that I could fit into my bedroom (not a lot of room to spare in there).

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that feline hierarchies are quite a bit more elastic than the avian variety, so I truly wouldn't worry in the slightest about allowing your cat to be higher than you. If it does anything, it'll make the cat more comfortable, which usually makes them more outgoing.

Although, in your case, it doesn't sound as if there's any comfort issues going on. That is one funny kitty you've got!

A book I've found really helpful on feline relationships and communication is Pam Johnson-Bennett's book "Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat", especially the chapter on "Understanding the Feline Hierarchy".

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

This is an interesting thread; I never knew that about birds!

As for cats, I can tell you that at least one of my three thinks he's the boss, but I doubt it has anything to do with our having a cat tree. I think it's just in his nature! The cat who spends the most time up there is the one who's closest to me.
I coulda posted this one.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've noticed it with mine. Whatever cat is on the tallest perch will act pushier towards the others and will even take play fighting a bit further in order to knock the other cat off. I've also seen Sho trying to stare down Siri from atop the bed (he doesn't like her
).
My quick solution for when things get a tad heated is just to put everyone on the floor and shoo them off into doing something else.
I thought Killerapple was asking if they develop an attitude towards us. That, I haven't seen. But they definitely like batting at other kitties on lower platforms and being "king" of the cat tree.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Tomas and Sherman certainly enjoy swatting us on the head from higher perches. Nothing like a surprise smack in the face when you're just trying to get in the fridge. They don't do that when lower (like on the back of the couch).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our swatter is just King of the House and swats at us anywhere whenever he wants attention. The post by motoko9 described our household.
(Thankfully he never uses claws.
).

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm kinda jealous.... my cats have a ton of elevated levels, but they never play with me like this. *sniff*

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get a favorite wand toy, whenever kitty's on a perch, play with him/her there. Do this a lot, and they come to associate you playing with them there, and then they'll grab at you when you're walking by when they want to play!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Our swatter is just King of the House and swats at us anywhere whenever he wants attention. The post by motoko9 described our household.
(Thankfully he never uses claws.
).
Yes, I love my boy, and he is in no way mean or vicious, but I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm number 3 in the house, after him and my SO.

Killerapple, your Batman looks very sweet and special, even if he gets a little feisty sometimes!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've looked at that one wondering if it was sturdy - is it? I'd like something tall but not too wide that I could fit into my bedroom (not a lot of room to spare in there).
We were really nervous at first so made sure we supervised for a while. He can leap on and off from all levels with full force, and it does stay safe and doesn't wobble. However.. he's only 8.5 pounds.
I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep this when he's full-size honestly. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Killerapple, your Batman looks very sweet and special, even if he gets a little feisty sometimes!
Awwww, he is.
He had a rough start in life, but it's hard to tell now.

We found him and his litter mates in our window well and rescued them without really thinking it through... We didn't have time to research how - we just grabbed a box, cleaned a bathroom out and went outside with long sleeves and a couple towels, and optimism... First 2 weren't too hard to get. Batman actually ran into another yard, pushed himself through the fence, and a German Shepherd actually ended up 'catching' him in his mouth.
It was AWFUL - my husband yelled at the dog to drop him, I almost threw up - we basically had to PRY him out of his mouth...
luckily Batman was just covered in dog drool. We were so thankful he was ok after that awful rescue.

His 2 litter mates warmed up to me pretty quick - purring within 4 days, happily playing with me, etc. Batman? Mr. Hisser. SOOOO scared. We were worried he was having post-traumatic stress disorder or something from the dog incident.

Anyways, his brothers got adopted out together, 5 weeks later. Batman still hid from me all the time - it took a lot of patient coaxing to get him to play... Then he just all of a sudden started purring the next night, and slowly, became a totally normal cat. Now he's this huge love bug! He's still a bit shy around strangers, but that's because we don't have a lot of company over... But seeing him now and all of his personality and how happy he is? It makes me so happy.

Sorry for hiijacking my own thread with Batman's story, but.... I had to.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Get a favorite wand toy, whenever kitty's on a perch, play with him/her there. Do this a lot, and they come to associate you playing with them there, and then they'll grab at you when you're walking by when they want to play!

Ohh, cool, a new game! Thanks, LDG!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its just the cat's purrsonality on attitude on the cat tree.

Jack always smacks me when he's on the cat tree and I walk by, or if I walk down the steps and he is along the railing and can stick his leg out and whack me in the head. Jack is my problem child.

Jack also generally doesn't allow the others on the top platforms of the cat tree--Jack is alpha here, although Pepper is trying to make herself alpha.

Leslie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by killerapple

We were really nervous at first so made sure we supervised for a while. He can leap on and off from all levels with full force, and it does stay safe and doesn't wobble. However.. he's only 8.5 pounds.
I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep this when he's full-size honestly. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I have the same tree/tower only in a different colour. Bought at walmart, little more money cuz I'm Canadian.

It can handle Kizzy (13-14lbs ragdoll), Kiwi ( 8.2lb ragdoll cross kitten) and Kitchi ( 6.2lb DLH kitten) running up and down it.

I've seen it wobble slightly when they are doing some heavy duty chasing each other up it, but I've never seen the part that is against the ceiling move.

Hope that helps

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that cats like to be high up because it makes them feel safe. Kind of like being in the trees. I think that Batman is feeling secure and just having fun with you and that amazing cat tree!