Heavily Pregnant Cat Due Any Day.

Samanthaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys I have a stray and she’s pregnant she’s due any day now and she won’t stop eating, I literally mean every 5 minuets or so she is sooking for more food i don’t know what to do I have had experience with pregnant cats but I’ve never had a heavily pregnant cat non stop eat days before giving birth. And I can’t find anything else on line about it. Is this normal behaviour or is she just hungry I’ve tried different foods etc but nothing seems to be stopping her hunger.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome!! Pregnant queens need lots of nutrition so this is normal. She should be allowed to have as much food as she wants and after she delivers too. She will be nursing and will need the calories. Tagging in some of out PC&KC experts to chime in. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, she needs much nourishments. It depends also, on what food you are giving her. Common cheap cat food you find in the usual shops, is OK but needs to eat more of it, to get the same nourishment.
Easiest is to give food labelled Kitten, or Nursing moms. It contains much proteins of animal source, and much fat.
It may be dry food for kittens, and it may be wet food. Its often easier to make fullworthy cat food as wet food, than as dry food...

Some goats milk, or full fat youghurt, some cheese, - these contain also extra calcium.
egg yolk is good too.
Egg shells from boiled eggs, crushed into a fine powder, are useful to get much calcium. (egg shells are made of almost pure calcium). You sprinkle a little as if it were salt on the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samanthaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply guys..
yeah I understand she need to eat just never experienced it before not every 5 minuets anyway. I have attempted her on every type of food from 3 different shops and She will bill dose all that food haha. As long as it’s normal I don’t mind feeding her as much as she wants.
She seems to like hone cooked chicken a lot more then cat food atm and seems to get full off that a lot more so seems like she’s going to be a spoiled kitty for a couple of weeks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cooked chicken is good but she needs also fat and some calcium

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, and taurine, so give cooked chicken along with canned wet cat food. Give her access to unlimited kitten chow and water. She will poop a lot too. Poor thing sounds starved! Thank you for taking her in.

Have you made a nest for her? How long have you had her?

We would love to see a photo!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to keep her completely inside until the kittens have weaned? Thank you for helping this family!

Samanthaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 5 weeks or so when I realised she was pregnant.
And yes I think I’m going to adopt her. And get her desexed etc.

Samanthaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s pushing atm so baby’s ain’t far away:)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe! Way to go momma! My last pregnant cat stopped for snacks in between kittens lol.