Heater That Is Safe For Cats

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my bedroom gets cold for me and the central heating is expensive to heat the whole house so I was wondering if anyone knows if heaters are safe for cats? Also does anyone know a specific heater that is safe? Thank you so much!! :thanks:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would invest in a heated dog mat or bed. If the coldness doesn’t bother you just make a little cove with a box or maybe at the bottom of your closet if you have one and put one of those heated pads or beds in it. You can usually find them at pet stores this time of year. They’re pricey but I would just suggest getting one when they clearance at the beginning of spring and using it next year if you want to save money.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, my bedroom gets cold for me and the central heating is expensive to heat the whole house so I was wondering if anyone knows if heaters are safe for cats? Also does anyone know a specific heater that is safe? Thank you so much!! :thanks:
First question that comes to mind is how much time do you spend in the room. if all you are using it for is sleeping then something like an electric blanket might work best as it will heat you but not the entire space. That is much more efficient.
If you want a heater for the cat then something like this would work for them.
Winter Pet Dog Cat Reptile Rabbit Safe Electric Heated heater Warmer Bed Pad Mat | eBay
For a small room, an electric heater would also work as long as the house wiring can handle the load. I believe all of the heaters for sale now have safety features like a cut off switch if the heater gets knocked over. From my experience some cats like to sit right in front of the heater. When they do that they cause it trigger the overheat shut off and then the heat goes off for everybody until it cools down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would invest in a heated dog mat or bed. If the coldness doesn’t bother you just make a little cove with a box or maybe at the bottom of your closet if you have one and put one of those heated pads or beds in it. You can usually find them at pet stores this time of year. They’re pricey but I would just suggest getting one when they clearance at the beginning of spring and using it next year if you want to save money.
Ok thank you I’ll look for that! I sleep in a hammock and usually my cats climb into it with me but if I feel like they get cold I would love to buy them a heating pad! I know they sell heating pads for humans that can be set to cool and aren’t very expensive but I would prefer to buy the pet heating pad because I’m not sure how safe the human ones are for cats and I’m worried about the cords too! :rock:

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First question that comes to mind is how much time do you spend in the room. if all you are using it for is sleeping then something like an electric blanket might work best as it will heat you but not the entire space. That is much more efficient.
If you want a heater for the cat then something like this would work for them.
Winter Pet Dog Cat Reptile Rabbit Safe Electric Heated heater Warmer Bed Pad Mat | eBay
For a small room, an electric heater would also work as long as the house wiring can handle the load. I believe all of the heaters for sale now have safety features like a cut off switch if the heater gets knocked over. From my experience some cats like to sit right in front of the heater. When they do that they cause it trigger the overheat shut off and then the heat goes off for everybody until it cools down.
Thank you for your help!! I’ll look for an electric heater that has the safety features maybe, thank you for including that link to that heating pad I’ll look at that because I might end up needing one for my cats, I’m moving to a new place so I’m not sure yet how cold they will be. I didn’t know cats like heat maybe if I get them the heating pad they won’t sleep in my hammock with me lol! :( :lol2: Thank you for your suggestions!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heating pads and blankets for people aren't safe to use for pets. Use only a pet safe pad / blanket / mat / etc. There are electric ones and ones that work similar to an emergency foil safety blanket and reflects body heat back. There are even microwavable pads and discs for pets you can use. I use the SnuggleSafe.

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a plain jane utility heater from Menards for less than $20. Not as fancy looking as some of the others but it does everything it needs too. Has tip over and overheat protection and is up off the floor so the cats can't sit in front of the heating element.
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...1-c-5617.htm?tid=-7677687474984227487&ipos=48
Thank you that would be perfect
This is a plain jane utility heater from Menards for less than $20. Not as fancy looking as some of the others but it does everything it needs too. Has tip over and overheat protection and is up off the floor so the cats can't sit in front of the heating element.
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...1-c-5617.htm?tid=-7677687474984227487&ipos=48
thank you!! The heater seems perfect! I’ll proabbly buy it, it looks like it will look nice in my room! :D

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heating pads and blankets for people aren't safe to use for pets. Use only a pet safe pad / blanket / mat / etc. There are electric ones and ones that work similar to an emergency foil safety blanket and reflects body heat back. There are even microwavable pads and discs for pets you can use. I use the SnuggleSafe.
LTS3 LTS3 hello! Thank you for letting me know! I wasn’t planing on using the human ones but now I know for sure not to, I was looking on amazon and found a set of four of the self heat pads you mentioned. I think I’m going to buy those for my cats, I read that some cats don’t like the crinkle noise those make so crossing my fingers but I’m sure mine will appreciate them. :clapcat:

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a portable oil filled space heater that is very safe and does a pretty good job. Even at maximum setting, you could still touch it without being burned. It has the added benefit of being able to put your clothes on it to warm them up before you put them on.

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a portable oil filled space heater that is very safe and does a pretty good job. Even at maximum setting, you could still touch it without being burned. It has the added benefit of being able to put your clothes on it to warm them up before you put them on.
Wow thank you that sounds amazing!! Dies it still use electricity? Thank you!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you that sounds amazing!! Dies it still use electricity? Thank you!
Most look like a regular old-fashioned radiator, which is what they really are. Yes, they plug into the wall. I have a couple that I use out in the shop these days. One of them should heat up your kitty's room just fine. There are several heat output settings and a thermostat. There are other styles that look like a baseboard heater. Another plus is that they operate in absolute silence.

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most look like a regular old-fashioned radiator, which is what they really are. Yes, they plug into the wall. I have a couple that I use out in the shop these days. One of them should heat up your kitty's room just fine. There are several heat output settings and a thermostat. There are other styles that look like a baseboard heater. Another plus is that they operate in absolute silence.
Thank you! I’ve looked at some and found one I like! They’re supposed to be energy efficient as well which is great!