Heat Wave...

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning,
I've sent a few messages in the past regarding our wonderful girl from the park.
We had a foster and permanent home for her in 2017... sadly our plans on getting her into a carrier have failed ... and no attempt made after this...because of the fostering situation delay.
Now it is a dangerous heat advisory...and we know that our girl has to be inside...
I worry so much about her and I don't want any of us to get sick...her being outside...us worrying inside...
I have no idea how to get her into the carrier...she won't ever even approach it. No trap, no crate, she refuses to eat inside them.
My husband and I are desperate, it is critical to rescue her from the park...But if we scare her...on a hot day... she won't trust us again for many months...
She is very cautious and smart, as sweet as she is, she will fight us ferociously and struggle (as all semi feral kitties do) if she feels in danger.
We can pick her up and hug her... she is in excellent shape, however she is 11.
She is very cautious and smart, so regular trapping methods don't work. She would need to be very relax...and it's no possible to be relaxed when it is very warm outside...and if she sees a carrier...
I heard of Gabapentin...but it would be impossible to observe our girl for an hour or 90 minutes outside...she could hide.
I heard that Zolpidem (Ambien) pills were dangerous for kitties.
Even in very small dosage? I emailed a vet regarding this, but he didn't respond...
I am usually against any relaxation pills...anything that could endanger our girl...
But this is an emergency situation and I don't know how to get her into the carrier....
Do you know of a better option?
Thank you!!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are desperate, it is critical to rescue her from the park...But if we scare her...on a hot day... she won't trust us again for many months...
This might be a silly question but, from what I understand the cat lives in the streets/a park -- is it not possible to find a shelter or home for her?

Either way, if you can pick her up, honestly I would just put her in the carrier but give tasty treats right afterward and act nothing weird is happening.

She is very cautious and smart, so regular trapping methods don't work.
Potentially expensive thing to try is a catio/cat house. It's easier to get them in larger spaces or carriers sometimes. You can also try a carrier for a large dog. But cover the top so she might also get attractede to its shadow to cool down. If you can't trap and take her inside that might also be a nice, cooler space to stay for her.

Though IME they prefer under the trees/bushes and they really are cooler. There was an info card I saw some years ago how under the trees the temperature is several, even 9 C degrees lower in some areas. The biggest challenge for most animals seem to be staying hydrated. If they don't have food, they also roam around in the sun to find food or stay where they are and get even more dehydrated. I remind these because there are other things to do to help (that I also forget sometimes) -- if not to this particular cat, for other cats and animals around.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi ParkBaby ParkBaby

I don't know if this will work for you, but it was the only way I was able to get a couple of my feral boys to the vet.

I used a double size duvet/futon cover. Make sure any hole are sewn shut, just have the zipped opening where you put the cover on the futon open. One person needs to stand up holding the cover open, ready to zip it closed. The second person picks the cats up, turns around and puts her down again inside the open futon cover. Hold her down while the first person zips the cover closed.

If you can pick her up it will be a little easier, but the person doing the lifting and holding should wear gloves, because she is going to struggle. The person doing the zipping should grab the cover above the cat and hold it bunched tightly closed while they zip it shut.

From there you can lift the cover up with the cat inside and put it into a large crate or carrier. I don't recommend carrying the cat inside just the cover, as she will eventually be able to claw a hole in the fabric.

Practice a few times with a soft toy so you get it right, as you will only have one chance to do this.

:goodluck:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats know how to handle the heat. Provide her with extra canned food mixed with water and she'll be fine.
My indoor/outdoor cat did not want to stay inside my house yesterday, she does not like my AC. I only have 2 window units, one upstairs and one downstairs, and it's barely cool inside. Still, she was happy as can be outside even with the heat index at 100 degrees. Remember that a cat's normal body temp is around 102, they handle heat pretty well. My last feral wouldn't come indoors ever, and he survived heat waves fine. They know where the cool spots are.

I would advise against drugging her with gabapentin or any other drug. That would leave her virtually helpless. It's best not to resort to any drastic measures that might scare her away from her food source right now because that could send her into a crisis. I know it's hard not to worry, but feral cats and experienced outdoor cats really do know how to survive all kinds of weather.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ferals survive the heat every summer, I provide them with plenty of water and they have bushes to go under. Unless you are planning to keep her inside, the stress of being captured would be more harmful than the heat. And you don't plan on being there every time it gets hot? What if you are gone? She would not be used to the heat then and that woudl be harmful. I would provide plenty of water, and make sure she has food, that should get her through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ParkBaby ParkBaby

I don't know if this will work for you, but it was the only way I was able to get a couple of my feral boys to the vet.

I used a double size duvet/futon cover. Make sure any hole are sewn shut, just have the zipped opening where you put the cover on the futon open. One person needs to stand up holding the cover open, ready to zip it closed. The second person picks the cats up, turns around and puts her down again inside the open futon cover. Hold her down while the first person zips the cover closed.

If you can pick her up it will be a little easier, but the person doing the lifting and holding should wear gloves, because she is going to struggle. The person doing the zipping should grab the cover above the cat and hold it bunched tightly closed while they zip it shut.

From there you can lift the cover up with the cat inside and put it into a large crate or carrier. I don't recommend carrying the cat inside just the cover, as she will eventually be able to claw a hole in the fabric.

Practice a few times with a soft toy so you get it right, as you will only have one chance to do this.

:goodluck:
Norachan Norachan
Thank you, Norachan, msaimee msaimee , di and bob di and bob and sorry if I forgot the others!
All your suggestions and advices are so much appreciated!
I am scared...because we only had once these extreme temperatures...and we've been taking care of Baby for 10 years.
And at the time when we had 100 degrees our girl, was not alone and...she was younger.
I was outside before noon
This morning something unexpected happened:
we took the trap to the park, Baby was suspicious...she left , came back...followed us, ate a bit, drank ...and went into the trap to smell the catnip toy!
She was very close to the plate...but then turned back and left calmly...
So maybe it is a good sign?
When weather permitted, we will bring the trap and try...and try...
We have someone willing to foster or maybe even give Baby a permanent home.
She is not feral, she is semi feral and deserves a good home.
As previously mentioned, sadly, we cannot take Baby home...because of our parrot...
Baby is a ferocious hunter...
She is our child, I am unable to function knowing she suffers because of our incompetence...

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats know how to handle the heat. Provide her with extra canned food mixed with water and she'll be fine.
My indoor/outdoor cat did not want to stay inside my house yesterday, she does not like my AC. I only have 2 window units, one upstairs and one downstairs, and it's barely cool inside. Still, she was happy as can be outside even with the heat index at 100 degrees. Remember that a cat's normal body temp is around 102, they handle heat pretty well. My last feral wouldn't come indoors ever, and he survived heat waves fine. They know where the cool spots are.

I would advise against drugging her with gabapentin or any other drug. That would leave her virtually helpless. It's best not to resort to any drastic measures that might scare her away from her food source right now because that could send her into a crisis. I know it's hard not to worry, but feral cats and experienced outdoor cats really do know how to survive all kinds of weather.
Hi msaimee msaimee ,
You are absolutely right, I will not try anything drastic in this weather...
I am trying to help Baby as much as I can, without harming her.
Will never use pills!
Thank you!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might be a silly question but, from what I understand the cat lives in the streets/a park -- is it not possible to find a shelter or home for her?

Either way, if you can pick her up, honestly I would just put her in the carrier but give tasty treats right afterward and act nothing weird is happening.

Potentially expensive thing to try is a catio/cat house. It's easier to get them in larger spaces or carriers sometimes. You can also try a carrier for a large dog. But cover the top so she might also get attractede to its shadow to cool down. If you can't trap and take her inside that might also be a nice, cooler space to stay for her.

Though IME they prefer under the trees/bushes and they really are cooler. There was an info card I saw some years ago how under the trees the temperature is several, even 9 C degrees lower in some areas. The biggest challenge for most animals seem to be staying hydrated. If they don't have food, they also roam around in the sun to find food or stay where they are and get even more dehydrated. I remind these because there are other things to do to help (that I also forget sometimes) -- if not to this particular cat, for other cats and animals around.
Hi MissClouseau MissClouseau ,
Wonderful information, thank you!
When it is this hot, Baby won't stay in the carrier...
She has a house and a carrier as shelter.
The big problem is to catch her!
And now the priority is to have her successfully go through this heat wave...
The trees provide some shade, but not as much cool as needed.