Hearts or Gizzards

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, I hope all is well with you
I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me which is healthier, hearts or Gizzards? Turkey or chicken?
Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both are healthy :) It doesn't matter if you feed chicken or turkey. Whatever your cat will eat is fine. If your cat won't touch them, that's fine too. Many cats who have never eaten raw before will not touch the stuff. There are freeze dried pet treats that are gizzards and such that most cats will eat. That is an option if you want to give them as treats. For dental health purposes, freeze dried treats don't help. The raw stuff stuff is better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of serving them to him boiled or steamed. He likes them both. I was just wondering about the healthiest option

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the organs are similar in physiology and nutritional value, but chicken giblets are probably more kitty-sized and convenient for them to eat.

I tried boiled chicken gizzards with my cats. They wouldn't eat them, which surprised me. They generally eat anything.

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly. He used to love them too. I was surprised this morning when he refused to eat boiled hearts which he loves normally. He doesn't like meat at all

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gizzards are harder to chew and good for teeth cleaning, hearts probably have more taurine and easier to eat, both are good. I can usually only ever find turkey ones at my grocery store but order chicken from hare-today and my cats love either. Hearts make excellent pill pockets for dogs as well. I feed raw so they eat them as is.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hearts are a good source of Taurine. I think it’s good to alternate proteins from time to time. Chicken is good but I would also feed turkey too. A lot of cats become allergic to chicken. I wonder if that’s because that’s all they are being fed. Are you giving these as treats? Because if it’s their main diet you have to make sure it’s balanced.

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. Only as trests notvas a main meal

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hearts are a good source of Taurine. I think it’s good to alternate proteins from time to time. Chicken is good but I would also feed turkey too. A lot of cats become allergic to chicken. I wonder if that’s because that’s all they are being fed. Are you giving these as treats? Because if it’s their main diet you have to make sure it’s balanced.
There is evidence that if you feed your cat only one type of meat, they have a tendency to develop an allergy to it.

We feed Belle raw hearts, gizzards and liver (what my wife calls Lizards & Gizzards) as a part of her diet. Last check up, vet said he wished his teeth were as clean. Belle loves it when she get "lizards & gizzards", specially the liver.

We rotate different types of meat and between wet & raw daily. Belle is used to it and it doesn't cause any tummy trouble. Keeps her from getting bored of her food.