Heartbroken

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dearest friend Neil was hit by a car on Wednesday of this week. I signed up because I thought perhaps it would help me to tell our story, and to ask for help with how to process this.

Neil came into our lives 7 years ago. A big orange tabby with huge wide eyes. My dad had adopted him as a stray 4 years earlier, and when my dad passed away in 2011 we we felt compelled to take him and care for him as my dad did. He was around 7 or 8 years old at the time. I knew him fairly well through spending time with him at my dad's, and always found him charming but a bit naughty. It was not until a year into him entering our home as a member of our little family (myself and my husband) that we grew to truly fall in love with him.

A little about Neil. He was the perfect cat. Truly. He was independent and strong. He was quiet and stoic and steady and loving. He was funny. He loved being close and affectionate but was never needy or pushy. He slept at my side every night, head to head, nose to nose almost, for the last 7 years. My sister drew and painted his beautiful face on our christmas cards each year. He has been the steadiest friend I've ever known. Steadier than my family or my dog or my husband. So very very easy to love, so very very good.

Before my dad got him he was an outdoor cat. With my dad he was an indoor cat. After moving in with us we kept him in for the first 6 months, and he was a challenge. He would dash out at every opportunity. He would pee by the door. He woke us up crying and bopping our faces with his claw. We had him to the vet with these issues and he was healthy as a horse. They suggested a diffuser to help calm him, which I actually felt ramped him up. When we finally moved to a quieter street, after a couple of months we started to gradually let him out. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 30 minutes. We stayed with him and would bring him home for lots of treats and milk after short trips for so many weeks. Eventually we felt we could trust him on his own. He became a different cat. He became the cat I described. He truly seemed fulfilled. The neighbhours loved him. He would sit next to them while they had their morning coffee. We would find him sitting with neighbhourhood cats on our porch. People passing by took photos of him he was so relaxed and happy and beautiful in the sunshine. He seemed so savvy. Like he just knew. It was clear to us that this was the life he preferred. To be able to spend time outdoors, making friends, in the sunshine, for just short bits every day - then to return to us to cuddle and relax and give and receive love in our home. It was perfect. We adopted a dog 4 years ago and they became best friends. We had a beautiful, easy routine and it felt really good and right.

Three years ago we moved again to busier two way street (our previous street was one way). We kept him in for two months after we moved, with the intention not to let him out, worried about the road. He again became the miserable cat we brought in 4 years earlier. He peed by the door. He attacked our dog. He cried and put his claws in our faces (which had not happened since we first kept him in when we got him). We tried upping his exercise, play time, brought back the diffuser. He could not tolerate a collar so tying him up felt like it was not an option. We made a decision at that time to start to let him out in the back yard. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. Same routine as before. He responded immediately and his whole demeanour changed. He became himself. It's hard to describe but he seemed so content. Like everything was right. My husband and I talked at LENGTH about the risks. We said to each other, it is a risk he could be injured or killed, we know this, we accept this risk because being able to have the freedom to go outside truly seems to be important for his spirit and his well being. And for over 3 years he adopted the same routine - he would go about his business, visiting people, visiting cats, sleeping in the sunshine in our garden. He went out every morning for an hour and every afternoon for 3-4 hours and this was our routine.

This past Wednesday everything changed. He went out in the morning after breakfast as usual. Usually myself or my husband will let him in before we go, and we don't typically check with each other because he is always just waiting for whoever leaves first to let him in. From there he heads upstairs to the laundry basket where he spends the rest of the middle of the day, and then returns downstairs in the afternoon when we get home. Then we feed him and he goes back out until supper. When Neil wasn't asking to be let out when I got home I checked with my husband and found out that he hadn't let Neil in in the morning when he left. Our hearts dropped and we started going door to door. I learned from someone a few houses down on the opposite side of the street that they saw Neil get hit by a car that morning. They didn't know he was our cat (we didn't know these neighbhours, sadly) so they called animal control and Neil's body was picked up. It all happened within an hour - before we even left the house in the morning. They told me that Neil had visited them before. They told me that he stepped out in front of a car that was not travelling fast, just stepped right out in front of it. There was no time. And he died instantly.

We were shocked. We sobbed. I threw up. I cried all night between short bouts of sleep. We called Animal Control but couldn't retrieve his body until Thursday morning because the main office was closed. In the morning we called again and arranged to pick his body. We brought a box for them to put him in. Even though they had confirmed with his microchip, I had to make sure it was him. I looked in the box and found his precious body curled up in a perfect ball and his face badly damaged. It was at once the worst feeling imaginable and also strangely important, to see it was him and to say goodbye to him. We drove to a nearby town and had him privately cremated.

Now what? Everywhere I look he is there but isn't there. He would have been beside me right now as I type. And he isn't here. I imagine his poor sweet face so badly injured. The last three nights have been unbearably lonely. I cleaned up where he eats on the buffet in the dining room today. I threw up again. I can't stop crying. I can't focus. I'm not sleeping well, waking myself up in tears. I feel profoundly sad. I actually said to my husband that I feel worse about this, sadder, like I wish I could take it back more, than my own father's death. I grew up on a farm and we had outdoor cats who were taken by coyotes - I am no stranger to loss. This is so very different. I feel responsible. But then I remember his how much his quality of life improved by being allowed outside... which then makes me feel worse because I feel like I'm trying to justify this thing that went so horribly wrong.

My heart hurts so much. I wish there was some way I could see him again. To tell him goodbye and that I am so sorry. Please if anyone has experienced anything like this, how did you cope? I'm attaching a photo my sister drew of his sweet sleeping face. It looks exactly like him.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing Neil & while I am very,very glad you joined TCS, I am sorry that it is under such sad circumstances. Neil sounds like he was your soul-kitty as well as being a link with your dad (my dad died unexpectedly in the yard on 04/30/11 with only his wolf-dog & his cats keeping vigil). In ancient Egypt, you would have shaven your eyebrows and been given time of off work to grieve; many of us here can appreciate that intensity of grief.
Neil was a gorgeous boy - perhaps he had Maine Coon in his lineage - he certainly had Maine Coon traits (the highly prized orange of the Vikings, the larger than life personality, his big chunky features) When my dad died, I had to move in, along with my adult disabled daughter, with my mom (my childhood home) which is alongside a busy frontage road. My MC, JC the 2nd, also has to be an inside/outside cat (2 different country vets recommended this because his breed is a working breed, the ideal farm cat) so he stayed on the rural property where we were at, 22 miles away - a succession of caretakers were amazed by him but my JC stays mostly with the vet's receptionist down the hillside from us and comes running to see me on the very rare times I get out there to see him. The neighbors have Australian shepherds, chickens, cats & a doggy door plus grandkids visit - JC loves kids).
There is a book about an MC - "Paw Tracks in the Moonlight" by Denis O'Connor that I find very comforting. It is the biography of a Maine Coon mix named Toby Jug (a very apt name, as you will find, if you read it. Goodreads has it online but I got print copies at Alibris). At the epilogue, a psychic approaches Mr. O'Conor that she sees a cat (ghost?) on his shoulder with the initials T.J. - something to think about since the book had not been written yet.
Anyway, I completely understand the level of grief that you are experiencing. I was a wreck after my Manx cat Joey was PTS in 2009, even though I believe that the departed rejoin the ancestors and those yet to be born. For 2 weeks after losing Joey, I could hardly work; my then-husband took me on a road trip and right before I left, I prayed to God that I be given a sign that Joey was okay - the sunset that night was spectacular and continued as we drove south for the next 200 miles. seeing that sunset helped.
You and Neil are TCS family now. Please try to hold on to the fact that "he died with his boots on", not the lingering illnesses that take away the feral cats that many of us here lose. Your heart's treasure is over Rainbow Bridge - you two had a special bond that time and distance cannot take away. Please continue to share your thoughts and feelings - your heart is safe with us here. ~susan
:grouphug2::angel3:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is truly horrible, I am so so sorry that this happened. You did what you thought was right, his whole personality changed so you let him outside so he could be happy and he was happy, he sounds like he would've been miserable and even nasty if he was indoors only, so don't beat yourself up too much about that. And you took him in after your father passed which was a wonderful thing to do, he was loved and he knew it and he loved you too and doesn't blame you or hold you responsible, it was just an accident and for some reason it just happened, I am sorry.

I know when I was really stressed and upset after Sebastian died in my arms after work years ago I was told about the herb Holy Basil, it helps calm you but does not drug you, it helps you adapt to the stress that is going on and is natural and non addictive like prescription anti anxiety meds are, perhaps it would help you too.

I am sorry, this is something that will haunt you for awhile unfortunately, and the image of his face will stay with you forever, that is rough and that is normal. But with time all those bad feelings will lose their sting, you will be able to carry on again and when you think of him you will smile, but right now is the worst part of the storm, take comfort in the fact that he lived the way that he wanted to live and went out that way too, he probably preferred it that way.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for the link and for your condolences. I just read Margret's post and it rings true in my heart. I think it will be important me to remember that there is no way around this feeling but straight through the middle. That it hurts. That it will take time. And that that is all okay. I am moved by her story. I will return to it I'm sure. Thank you so much.

catsknowme catsknowme Your welcome means a great deal to me. I wish we had rituals around dealing with this incredible complicated sadness. I'd shave my eyebrows if I believed that it would help his sweet spirit get to where it needs to be, or that it would help me figure out how to make some sense of this. When my dad died I remember feeling lost and confused, wishing I had a spiritual framework to help me process and make sense of his death. I am reminded of that now, though as I said, the feeling is actually more intense. I believe this may be because as you said, he was my soul-cat. I felt super connected to him. It brought me so much peace and joy, having him in my life. I wish I believed he was somewhere, that he is not nowhere. I wish he could give me a sign that he is okay too. Though I don't know what I believe, I've been saying goodnight to him and telling him I love him when I get into bed, with a distant hope he can somehow hear me.
I am going to look for that book, Paw Tricks in the Moonlight. That is a wonderful title. I wonder if dear Neil was part MC. I looked them up. His fur was short but indeed his features were strong and he was as the MC is described - friendly, intelligent, dog-like. Thank you for sharing your story and again for your welcome and care. I really appreciate it so very much. Have posted another photo below because he is so very charming and special.

Attachments

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
les26 les26 Thank you for your note. I think you're right, he did live the way he wanted to live. I nevertheless struggle with the part where I'm supposed to be the knowing human who keeps him safe from harm. Maybe I need to meditate a bit more on what harm means - harm of the body or harm of the spirit? Amazingly, I just picked up some Holy Basil tea from the grocery store this evening. A friend had told me about it a while back and I thought now might be a good time to try it. I just sat outside for an hour sipping the tea, watching the road, the garden, thinking about Neil. I called him with the whistle I use with him every day, but quietly, and which he would come running to like a dog. Maybe that sounds odd. But it felt good to do. Thank you for your kind words.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the tea helps, I know the pills helped me deal with the tragedy I went through, the stress was still there but I felt calmer and could deal with it. It took quite awhile but I can think back on that horrible night now and deal with it, I know Sebastian is just fine and has been since that night and so is Neil, he is just exploring different places now and sitting with the Angels instead of the neighbors now.

This is a rough one, it will take time to process and deal with, but the seas will calm and the sun will come out again someday. :alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter which path we choose, when we lose someone we love so very much it seems to be the wrong one and we experience all the guilt and second guessing that comes with it. I am in the exact same scenario you were in, after my Chrissy was killed on our street we kept our Casper inside, safe and warm. For months.... Long unending months of unhappiness, temper tantrums and unrelenting crying. We had long discussions, we turned a deaf ear, we really tried. Then eventually after witnessing how truly unhappy he is to be inside, we relented. He is to this day still outside, 6 years later. And I know there will come a time when I may find him lying in the street, and my heart will break and I will feel all the guilt and sadness you are feeling. But then I watch him running across the lawn, sniffing the air, proudly bringing us his latest mouse, and I know we did the right thing. Some cats are just meant to be outside and we should not stand in their way, should not give them a lifetime prison sentence to keep them 'safe'. Happiness is more important, especially knowing animals live in the present, and in doing this, live every second to the fullest.
Neil was no different. In your tribute you state how happy he was. How he visited, how content he was with life. He was around 15 years old, a long life for a cat in any circumstances, and I agree with the above, he lived, and died on his own terms, happy and content with life.
The bond you have with that sweet boy can never be taken from you. He is a part of your very soul, and will be for eternity. "death cannot take that which never dies" and your love for him will live on forever. He, by showing you his happiness and contentment in being outdoors, would be the last one to want you so sad. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, go forward into the future and seek happiness and sunshine to send him when you think of him.Use all those precious memories you have of him to bring comfort instead of grief to your heart. Don't allow his death to be more important than his beautiful life. His life was so much more worthy. You would have missed so much in life if you would have never met him at all.
Yes, he follows a new path now, but it will always parallel your own. He will always be as near as your memories.
You will never get 'over' losing his presence from your life. But you will learn to cope, to learn a new life's order, and one day will pass on that legacy he left you. He taught you the importance of living every second of your life, because none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. Do not let the grief take over your joy of life, because then death has won, and that is not what he would want for one he loves so much.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. You are not alone in your grief, we are legion.....we will share your burden and hopefully make it a little easier to bear. Take care.....RIP sweet, noble Neil.You will never be forgotten, you will have a place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
di and bob di and bob I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Chrissy. Your story brings up a lot of feelings and I'm in tears as I type. I want to tell you you have done the right thing with Casper. That I understand! That he is living his best life. So why do I judge myself so fiercely. Neil was not judgemental. Pets aren't. That is part of what makes them so very special, and I agree is what we have to learn from them. You wonderful humans of TCS seem to really understand this and it is reflected in what you've all shared with me. I have a lot to learn from you all. I do agree that he would not want me to be so sad. I am going to take that and think on it a long while.

Also, it just occurred to me that I signed up for this site and out of desperation told our huge long story, with a plea for help. I have suddenly realized this page is for tributes, for sharing memories, and may not have been the right place for this. I am sorry. I wasn't thinking overly clearly. I have appreciated the kind responses more than I can say, and while I remain confused about my part in this tragic story, I think I'm just still reeling and hurt. I do now feel I have some things to think about and work on that are not solely focused on reinforcing my feelings of guilt. This is a surprisingly wonderful and supportive community. I think I was expecting to hear, 'this is why you should keep your cats inside' in response to my post. Maybe I was looking to have my feelings of guilt confirmed. But instead I was met with understanding and received with such kind and caring replies. I'm so grateful.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site is for the grieving, period. It is for those who are lost to us, and even for grief that comes with knowing they WILL be lost, and help to anticipate what is coming. It is for tributes and memories, but is also a place for letting out all those feelings, for understanding and for someone to tell you it's all right to have those feelings, to mourn the loss of a valued family member. That it will change your life forever, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. It also helps those like me, who actually get healing from trying to help others. I will never forgive myself, but I can help others to understand that it's OK to go on, to not spend the rest of your life in darkness and grief. Life is way too short as it is. We can't spend one precious moment on things we can't change but have to use our grief to find good and joy again somewhere in all the darkness. Our little ones are a part of us. They feel what we feel. Send them happiness for what they gave us, for what they left that changed and enriched our lives.They deserve that, they expect us to go on and use what they taught us to love again, to add to their love and help it grow. Good luck my friend, I pray you find peace in time. Time is the healer of all things, even broken hearts.....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Neil, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart foever.

Also, it just occurred to me that I signed up for this site and out of desperation told our huge long story, with a plea for help. I have suddenly realized this page is for tributes, for sharing memories, and may not have been the right place for this.
No, this is exactly the right place for you to post the story of this remarkable cat, of his life, of his passing, of your grief. And I know that your grief is even deeper because he was a living link with your father. Neil was one of those rare cats who would not adjust to an "indoor only" life, wasn't he? And you, aware of the issues and dangers, decided that his happiness meant more than anything else. Bless him, he lived his life on his own terms, and that's a thing that so few of us can say. I know how you miss him, but I have to say this...Love does not die. Never. Love only changes form and continues on, still Love. Neil is with you still. Still close, still loving, still "Neil."

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mama africa mama africa Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 thank you both so much for your kind words.

I am leaving to pick up Neil today from the cremation place. My husband and I will have a ceremony tonight. I think having him home will be a comfort. I have been calling him in each night so he knows we are still here, that we love him. Perhaps that can stop once he is with us again.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am leaving to pick up Neil today from the cremation place. My husband and I will have a ceremony tonight. I think having him home will be a comfort. I have been calling him in each night so he knows we are still here, that we love him. Perhaps that can stop once he is with us again.[/QUOTE]

Your boy is with you and always will be, his spirit knows that your house was his home, and he will always be around.

After Simon was put down due to stomach cancer, 3 months later I took in Stanley, a drop off here where I work, and after awhile we noticed Stanley was doing things that Simon used to do, and not just a few things more like 10 or 11! We talked to Cindy Wenger who is an animal communicator and she said that Simon was relived to be out of his pain riddled body but he loved it here and wants to stay, that is why Stanley is mimicking him, and once we knew this I said outloud "it's okay Simon, you can stay here forever, we love you", and immediately Stanley stopped doing all but one of the things Simon used to do.

So my point is your boy will be home, and already is. God Bless....:rbheart:

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Drove home yesterday with Neil in my lap. It was very sad but also very comforting. Now he's home.

les26 les26 That is an incredible story. Than you. Last night I told him he can stay with us forever. I hope he heard me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad to "meet" under these circumstances, flory flory -- my deepest condolences on your loss of noble lion kinglet Neil. No words can lessen the pain of grief, but previous posters have expressed some beautiful and eloquent thoughts which I hope may be of comfort to you.
Several years ago, my then-husband met a cat on one of the building sites he worked on. This cat followed him around, large, orange, and friendly. When the project was finished, he brought this cat home with him, where he stayed, living outdoors as he chose. At some point I joined the family. We built a little house for him and put it up next to the house so he would have it, lined with bedding and with an overhanging roof, when he wanted it. We lived at the end of a cul-de-sac which was fairly safe except for some roaming dogs, which I did not know of at the time.
Several years passed and all was well. Our big golden boy was sweet, even-tempered and laid-back, and we loved him very much.
One day, my husband came in the house and told me he had backed the truck over him. Somehow, he had not seen him.
He passed very quickly.
Speaking for myself, my heart was broken. I know my husband's must have been, too.
I do believe in keeping cats indoors, but this is what happened.
Those we love watch over us and guard us until we are reunited in due time. You may feel, see, or hear evidence of Neil watching over you. Don't be shocked. He IS with you always.

flory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I will try to keep my heart and mind open to this. Thank you for sharing your story. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad to "meet" under these circumstances, flory flory -- my deepest condolences on your loss of noble lion kinglet Neil. No words can lessen the pain of grief, but previous posters have expressed some beautiful and eloquent thoughts which I hope may be of comfort to you.
Several years ago, my then-husband met a cat on one of the building sites he worked on. This cat followed him around, large, orange, and friendly. When the project was finished, he brought this cat home with him, where he stayed, living outdoors as he chose. At some point I joined the family. We built a little house for him and put it up next to the house so he would have it, lined with bedding and with an overhanging roof, when he wanted it. We lived at the end of a cul-de-sac which was fairly safe except for some roaming dogs, which I did not know of at the time.
Several years passed and all was well. Our big golden boy was sweet, even-tempered and laid-back, and we loved him very much.
One day, my husband came in the house and told me he had backed the truck over him. Somehow, he had not seen him.
He passed very quickly.
Speaking for myself, my heart was broken. I know my husband's must have been, too.
I do believe in keeping cats indoors, but this is what happened.
Those we love watch over us and guard us until we are reunited in due time. You may feel, see, or hear evidence of Neil watching over you. Don't be shocked. He IS with you always.
This is terrible too....I am so sorry that this happened even though it is in the past.

We are getting WAY too much bad news on here, I hope that we can turn it around!!! :please: :crossfingers: :grouphug:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is terrible too....I am so sorry that this happened even though it is in the past.

We are getting WAY too much bad news on here, I hope that we can turn it around!!! :please: :crossfingers: :grouphug:
The world is a place full of tragedy and senseless loss. The amazing thing, the miracle really, is that there is love, sometimes beyond all measure.