Heartbroken Returning Cat To Shelter

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I posted here awhile ago about the difficulties I was having introducing my rescue cat to my resident cat. My resident cat was so scared she would hide on her tree and not come down at all with him in the room. I had tried everything. This was now 3 months in no change. Despite everything I couldn't cope with the thought of giving him up, the feelings of guilt and sadness as I'd become so attached to him. So I kept telling myself I would give it more time. Last week Misty my resident cat got really sick with vomiting and diarrea, and is still ill a week later. My vet says it's likely caused by the stress she's been under.
With a heavy heart I contacted the rescue and they will be picking her up on Sunday, I am heartbroken and also so worried about Misty.
Thank you for the advice given, but in the end I had to do right by both cats, some cats are just meant to be only cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI - just a few thoughts. I read through one of your other threads.

Have you tried CBD oil? for both cats, that is. In the meantime give her some 50/50 boiled unseasoned chicken and rice. Also add in a teaspoon of plain pumpkin.

However, a week of illness is more than stress. I'd check with another vet - do NOT tell them about the cat integration and see if they come up with a different verdict about what is going on with Misty.

I have a couple of discussion threads where the victim cat required a confidence build, and when that occurred life was ok. If you have a chance before they come on Sunday, as you read through the threads, it should give you that final dot on the i as to whether your situation would ever work, or that you will want to give it one more go.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a very difficult decision and I applaud you for making the tough choice. I know that the what ifs and shoulda/coulda/woulda will haunt you. Of course there are more things you could try or steps you could take. Maybe they would work, maybe they wouldn't. But you have given it time, you have tried to make it work and you have made the choice for your family to give him a chance to find a home that is a better fit. I agree that not all cats do well with other cats. To put your cats desires above your own in this case is admirable.

I too have a little one who gets stress sick. She's done it on mulitple occassions whenever something changes. Someone brought a kitten to my house one time and Rocket hid in her cat tree for 24 hours refusing to eat or even move. And the kitten was only at my house for 15 minutes before I realized she was hiding and told them they had to leave. I know that we just can't add another cat to our household so long as Rocket is alive without risking a serious stress reaction.

Regardless of what anyone else may say, it is your choice and not one you've made lightly. You will carry it with you, don't regret it but celebrate his chance to soar and find that perfect home for him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm actually another one who has maintained an one cat/only cat home. In my case I always looked at it that he's such an alpha that he'd never accept another feline in his territory/his house/my lap.
If you continue and have them pick him up, will he be fostered, I hope?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Have you tried CBD oil? for both cats, that is. In the meantime give her some 50/50 boiled unseasoned chicken and rice. Also add in a teaspoon of plain pumpkin.

However, a week of illness is more than stress. I'd check with another vet - do NOT tell them about the cat integration and see if they come up with a different verdict about what is going on with Misty.

I have a couple of discussion threads where the victim cat required a confidence build, and when that occurred life was ok. If you have a chance before they come on Sunday, as you read through the threads, it should give you that final dot on the i as to whether you're situation would ever work, or that you will want to give it one more go.
She has been very stressed I had actually had to separate them again, as he had attacked her a few times.

I have a couple of discussion threads where the victim cat required a confidence build, and when that occurred life was ok. If you have a chance before they come on Sunday, as you read through the threads, it should give you that final dot on the i as to whether your situation would ever work, or that you will want to give it one more go.
They say ibd which has been caused by stress, I was in the process of reintroduction when this happened and I separated them again. He is a confident active, dominant male, she is a quiet and inactive female due to hip dysplasia. She has been an only cat all her life. I feel that the situation is unfair to both of them I am so upset but I feel it's for the best.

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a very difficult decision and I applaud you for making the tough choice. I know that the what ifs and shoulda/coulda/woulda will haunt you. Of course there are more things you could try or steps you could take. Maybe they would work, maybe they wouldn't. But you have given it time, you have tried to make it work and you have made the choice for your family to give him a chance to find a home that is a better fit. I agree that not all cats do well with other cats. To put your cats desires above your own in this case is admirable.

I too have a little one who gets stress sick. She's done it on mulitple occassions whenever something changes. Someone brought a kitten to my house one time and Rocket hid in her cat tree for 24 hours refusing to eat or even move. And the kitten was only at my house for 15 minutes before I realized she was hiding and told them they had to leave. I know that we just can't add another cat to our household so long as Rocket is alive without risking a serious stress reaction.

Regardless of what anyone else may say, it is your choice and not one you've made lightly. You will carry it with you, don't regret it but celebrate his chance to soar and find that perfect home for him.
I have been so upset and he's not gone yet, Misty is just so ill and Smokey cries to leave the room. It's not fair to either of them, they are such opposites I don't think it will work. There will always be what ifs but I know I did everything possible. It's not fair for him to be locked up in a room.

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No t
Have you tried posting him on Next door? That way you can be sure he goes to a good home.
The rescue I got him from will take him back, it's in the agreement that you sign. They are lovely people

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you 100% sure it's the kitten that's causing the vommitting?
He's not a kitten, no I can't be 100% sure but she has been extremely stressed since I got him. She's like a different cat, she had already been eating less using the litter tray less before she got sick

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m considering rescuing another cat.
I’ve had Sassy for a couple of months. We have had a time adjusting. After reading your post I’m not sure to get another cat.
I got online to see about how to make a multi cat home. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I watched Garfield and I’m going for a Garfield.
Lol.
I’ll check back with you

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually another one who has maintained an one cat/only cat home. In my case I always looked at it that he's such an alpha that he'd never accept another feline in his territory/his house/my lap.
If you continue and have them pick him up, will he be fostered, I hope?
Yes they are a lovely rescue, he will go as an only cat.

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m considering rescuing another cat.
I’ve had Sassy for a couple of months. We have had a time adjusting. After reading your post I’m not sure to get another cat.
I got online to see about how to make a multi cat home. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I watched Garfield and I’m going for a Garfield.
Lol.
I’ll check back with you
It's been very hard for us, and heart breaking to have to return him. I know it works for others but don't expect it to be easy, it does take time. In my case I think the cats were such opposites, but you don't know that at the time.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not a kitten, no I can't be 100% sure but she has been extremely stressed since I got him. She's like a different cat, she had already been eating less using the litter tray less before she got sick
I am so sorry. He will find another loving home