Heart Murmur Detected in est 2-3yr old cat

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My late sweet kitty had a heart murmur detected at a vet visit maybe around 5 or 6? No action was taken until much later in life (maybe 16 or 17?) when we had his final dental cleaning done. At that point, we just did an echo cardiogram to make sure he could go under. He didn't have any problems or issues with it up until that point. We were able to get his teeth cleaned after doing that. We lost him due to kidney disease at 18.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad he's back home. When do you think you'll know the results?
I'm sure Magnus will come around once all the excitement of the day has worn off.
How did he do missing a few meals before the procedure?
Next week some time I expect.

He was confused last night and looking in all the usual spots for food. He seemed happy enough to go without last night and this morning mostly because he was loopy on the gabapentin. But he was a bit more upset about missing breakfast.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My late sweet kitty had a heart murmur detected at a vet visit maybe around 5 or 6? No action was taken until much later in life (maybe 16 or 17?) when we had his final dental cleaning done. At that point, we just did an echo cardiogram to make sure he could go under. He didn't have any problems or issues with it up until that point. We were able to get his teeth cleaned after doing that. We lost him due to kidney disease at 18.
Thank you Mac. I hope Ghost will have similar results.

Did they tell you what the echo showed?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No news yet. Monday was a holiday here but I still expect if it was urgent we would have heard something more, sooner.

Naked-belly Ghost has decided that I likely won't drug his treats again and he can eat them when I give them. He has a new fear if we are late for their bedtime snack though and starts crying... So he definitely correlated no night food with going to the vet.

I do get night cuddles again.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No word back yet. I called and left a message with reception for the vet since it's been two weeks.

Edit: he's played hard this week with no issues.
That's quite a wait. Are they short staffed? I've been to clinics before where wires get crossed and person A thought person B called someone with results, and visa versa. Hoping you hear (good) news today.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's quite a wait. Are they short staffed? I've been to clinics before where wires get crossed and person A thought person B called someone with results, and visa versa. Hoping you hear (good) news today.
Yes. Very.

Last time he called me after hours as well. They were less short staffed then.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update!!! The vet was able to call tonight.

Ghostie's ultrasound was "unremarkable". Blood flow was good, thickness was good, arteries in order etc. He said there was one small muscle that has a "slight abnormality that is of no concern; likely congenital."

The x-ray on his lungs was also normal. Nothing of concern.

For now he wants us to keep a journal of when Ghost pants and check the air quality when it happens. He said he could have allergen based athsma. For now, he has no medication or inhaler but in the spring that might change.
The vet recommended low dust litter. I confirmed the one we use is fine. He said to keep windows closed when pollen or fire smoke is fine and ensure air filters are running, keep up on dust in the home etc.

Photo tax:

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update!!! The vet was able to call tonight.

Ghostie's ultrasound was "unremarkable". Blood flow was good, thickness was good, arteries in order etc. He said there was one small muscle that has a "slight abnormality that is of no concern; likely congenital."

The x-ray on his lungs was also normal. Nothing of concern.

For now he wants us to keep a journal of when Ghost pants and check the air quality when it happens. He said he could have allergen based athsma. For now, he has no medication or inhaler but in the spring that might change.
The vet recommended low dust litter. I confirmed the one we use is fine. He said to keep windows closed when pollen or fire smoke is fine and ensure air filters are running, keep up on dust in the home etc.

Photo tax:
What a huge relief A Alldara , I am so glad nothing bad showed up on the X-rays! And Ghost (as always) looks incredibly handsome.
Did the vet mention things like using a HEPA air purifier?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a huge relief A Alldara , I am so glad nothing bad showed up on the X-rays! And Ghost (as always) looks incredibly handsome.
Did the vet mention things like using a HEPA air purifier?
Just to keep ours running. We'd already discussed that we have ones for our human athsma.

We do have HEPA filters on our vacuums too.

We did also discuss that Ghost is very warm when he pants. He wasn't concerned.

I may have to get Ghost shaved in the summer if it's very hot. I have a grooming kit but I'm unsure if I could make him look nice.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to keep ours running. We'd already discussed that we have ones for our human athsma.

We do have HEPA filters on our vacuums too.

We did also discuss that Ghost is very warm when he pants. He wasn't concerned.

I may have to get Ghost shaved in the summer if it's very hot. I have a grooming kit but I'm unsure if I could make him look nice.
The downside to shaving a coat like his is oftentimes it grows back in thicker, and very wonky looking. Does Ghost go outside and/or prefer to lay in sunbeams vs. shady spots?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The downside to shaving a coat like his is oftentimes it grows back in thicker, and very wonky looking. Does Ghost go outside and/or prefer to lay in sunbeams vs. shady spots?
I have to trim/shave his bum already. Luckily that hasn't happened. I'll see how his chest hair grows back I guess... though I wouldn't go that short for him. He's quite naked in that area right now.

Last year we did go out in the back but won't be able to this year.

He hides in the basement in the summer and comes up only in the evening. On a cooler day with the air still on, he might join us in a room that the window unit is in and sit in the window next to Magnus.

Usually he gravitates towards the shade and unheated spots of the floor. Our heating runs along the floor giving an impression like the main level has a partially heated floor. He stays "off the pipes" usually and prefers areas where the pipes aren't heating up the floor. Except these last two weeks because he's naked and cooler.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghost's fur is slowly growing back. He hasn't had any attacks but does sometimes breathe heavily during play (audibly for a moment, say two breaths and then quiet again). It doesn't stop his play. He's been very hyper on his weight management food vs his lower energy on the urinary dry formula.

Just now he played with his spring downstairs, then came running up. He found Magnus in the office, Magnus chased Ghost and Cal to the bedroom. Ghost hid under me, pounced up on to the bed and they all took off back to the office, then he ran back into here, did two "heh heh"s with a normal head and neck position. Then immediately leaped over Magnus and they ran back across the house, around the office and down the stairs.

I'm not sure if I should ask to try an inhaler for him at his wellness in May.