Heart Murmur Detected in est 2-3yr old cat

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghost had a heart murmur detected today. The vet didn't give us a level but he will go for an ultrasound. We don't have a date yet as labs etc are closed because of the storms.

So he's likely had this problem since we got him in July. He's young so it could still be congenital or acquired.

His symptoms are panting after playing with a wand toy, sometimes or like today during his vet visit when he was very stressed.

No panting if he plays on his own or with other cats. He's not resistant to exercise; he's always wanting to play and doesn't stop when he pants (we stop). It's always brief, less than one minute.
No pale gums, weight loss, muscle wasting, movement issues, coughing or sneezing, eating or toilet issues etc.

We are to monitor his resting heart rate as possible until his appointment. The vet said medication and supplements needed can be determined after the ultrasound.

Were already at a cat-only hospital.

I don't know what the likelihood of having two young cats with heart issues. I'm pretty mad at the world right now but also hoping that Ghost will live a normal life. Magnus's is an innocent congenital heart murmur (LVL 1) and he took a taurine supplement for it. They don't believe his life will be shortened or sickly. Nobel had a congenital heart murmur as well and lived to 17; his sister died before age 5 (they were half maine coon so increased chances).

The shelter did have Ghost on a food containing pea protein before we got him. He's of unknown origin. He's had FIV and FEVL testing that is negative. He was parasite treated last May but I don't know with what (shelter). He had panting when we brought him home but there was severe fire smoke, then he didn't pant for awhile and then had some more panting during some hot days during Jan.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences and what their cat's symptoms were to know what to expect.

I'll also post updates on this issue as we go.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie was diagnosed with HCM at 2, sort of a fluke when he was also diagnosed with early stage kidney disease and his vet wondered if it were heart related. So an ultrasound was done and we went to a cardiologist who did not feel that there was a relation. He was on atenolol and plavix but she felt that his case was early enough that since he is very hard to pill that he did not need them yet. In her opinion, the use of atenolol in HCM cats is only anecdotal and I can't attest to whether or not that is actually correct. She was also pretty strident about the fact that regular vets and ultrasonographers should not be prescribing medication (they are the ones who put him on the two drugs).

So at 7, Jamie is still here and still in good shape. In fact, he will turn 8 this year. I found him as an almost dying kitten at four weeks old, probably abandoned by his mother, so I can't blame his early diet or lack thereof.

I would definitely see a cardiologist even if you do go to a cat only hospital. Maybe they have one or can refer the results of the US to one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom Thanks for sharing Jamie's story. Yes, they are sending me to a cardiologist for the ultrasound. They are in-house as in they work for a co-joined hospital. It's where I would be sent to in the city for a cardiologist, anyway.

I don't know if there's anything to blame; I just wanted to ensure I noted everything.

Ghost is happy to be home and acting normal. He played again without panting, ate and we had a cuddle.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been years since I dealt with heart issues, but when I did, the vet didn't put mine on anything until the murmur reached a grade 3/6. If they didn't suggest starting Ghost on anything immediately, odds are it's in the lower range but having a cardiologist look and find out exactly what is going on will give everyone peace of mind. :hugs:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been years since I dealt with heart issues, but when I did, the vet didn't put mine on anything until the murmur reached a grade 3/6. If they didn't suggest starting Ghost on anything immediately, odds are it's in the lower range but having a cardiologist look and find out exactly what is going on will give everyone peace of mind. :hugs:
That's a good point. He did also mention doing an x-ray at the same time. He didn't order bloodwork ahead of the ultrasound to check for heart issues either so that makes me think he's not concerned at this point about heart failure.

I did some reading and it said approximately 13% of cats (no particular breed) will be diagnosed with HCM. And then up to 30% for some other breeds. I suppose that is common enough...

We tried to get resting respiratory rate read but Cal scared Ghost in the middle of it. But it was 36 still so not too bad.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Right now he's running around like a maniac with Magnus. He never pants when he plays with the other cats. Only during wand toy play and rarely.

Before bed I gave him an empty toilet paper roll and he shot around upstairs batting and chasing it.

I really thought we were going to be told minor athsma. He did pant for a moment at the vets office as well and he was very scared at first. Shaking, though was fine at his weigh in. (Should have brought Magnus for comfort for the appointment.) The vet doesn't think Ghost was too scared since he walked around a bit and sniffed but he only ate half his Churu and hid under a chair and wouldn't play at all. So very scared with a ton of bravado as we expect from Ghost. Or maybe he did recognize the fear he just didn't think it was as strong as it was. It's hard to tell with that vet as he's very short and to the point.

The vet could hear the murmur consistently; he said it isn't anxiety related because of that. But could it sound worse because of anxiety? I thought of all my questions after we left.

No respiratory rate yesterday. He never stopped purring. He watched the kids play in the snow and then went downstairs to nap (always does when they're outside because it's quiet). But then he could hear me come downstairs and wakes up to purr and meow at me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Respiratory rate at 22 per minute today. No Calcifer attacks during rest. I'm feeling calmer with that count.I have a tracker for it now. Will update if anything out of the ordinary.

No word on date for appointment yet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His EKG and x-rays are scheduled for Feb 14.
He can't eat the night before so that will be interesting. Though, they confirmed I could use a pill pocket or similar to give his gabapentin the morning of.
🤞 It all goes smoothly and he doesn't need anesthesia for it because I'm very anxious.

Edit to add: his respiratory rate has been good so far. Between 20 and 25. One of the higher ones was when he'd just recently laid down rather than being resting for a bit.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jamie, who now ironically has to be sedated for blood work, has several x rays and EEGs with no sedation needed.
Aww what a good boy. Ghost is usually pretty docile, but he thinks everyone is trying to play with him so we will see what he does lol

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghost was so cozy (apparently) that he stayed last night long after Cal got up. Managed to get his respiratory count which was 22 - after being slept on while upside down. He didn't weeze, cough or make protests while Cal lay on him like that for 20 minutes or so.

It's very important going forward that Ghost stays at a good weight. So I've gone to pick up Royal Canin appetite control dry food because the gorging is not getting better. It's the only appetite control without peas and it seems okay for sodium. He was very excited to eat it. More so than the Iams urinary dry food they are on. He ate all the RC and left the Iams. Calcifer did want to try the new food but he spat the RC back out. So Ghost will get about 3 tablespoons of that and 5 or so dental kibbles as treats. Magnus and Calcifer will stay on the Iams Urinary which has been going so smoothly for them both.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghostie's ultrasound is set for the 14th as that's when the proper person is at the clinic.

I am trying not to spiral about how anxious Ghost will be not eating for 3 meals, and being back in a cage at the vet for a day. He's been to the vet twice and come home so hopefully he will know he's coming home. We will send a blanket and maybe one of his plush toys.

He is only eating the appetite control dry food now. He's respiratory rate has been good. He has not panted since.

🤞 All goes smoothly..

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
This must be so stressful to have in the back of your mind all the time, but I’m glad it was detected early so you can take all the necessary precautions. Hope the ultrasound gives you the best news possible for this situation :redheartpump:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not be surprised if he goes into major starving kitty mode for a week or so after he gets home. I take it as a good sign, a sign that they are interested in continuing and making up for the missed meals.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Biomehanika Biomehanika thank you

K Kflowers I hope he does! We will know he has recovered from the visit. But it will be hard to stop him from meal-snatching. He hasn't completely built his food security yet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghostie is home. They said he was a good boy. He did have some sedation.

And he was so scared he peed on himself when they packed him up. So he had a bath when he got home.

He's happy to be home though and has just been very cuddly and purry. I'm supposed to keep him calm but that's proving difficult already so wish us luck. I'm glad he's doing well after a hard day. His little chest is very naked from being shaved.

I don't expect it will be anything too serious if they sent us home without any heart medication.

Magnus and Cal were quite stressed about him being gone today. No issues when we brought him out of the bath but Magnus is giving him space which he usually doesn't.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghostie is home. They said he was a good boy. He did have some sedation.

And he was so scared he peed on himself when they packed him up. So he had a bath when he got home.

He's happy to be home though and has just been very cuddly and purry. I'm supposed to keep him calm but that's proving difficult already so wish us luck. I'm glad he's doing well after a hard day. His little chest is very naked from being shaved.

I don't expect it will be anything too serious if they sent us home without any heart medication.

Magnus and Cal were quite stressed about him being gone today. No issues when we brought him out of the bath but Magnus is giving him space which he usually doesn't.
I'm so glad he's back home. When do you think you'll know the results?
I'm sure Magnus will come around once all the excitement of the day has worn off.
How did he do missing a few meals before the procedure?