Healthy wet foods

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, one of whom is on a special, novel proteins diet. The other can eat regular food. Although she's a senior (13), I've only had her and her sister for a year. The shelter told me they were eating Fancy Feast, so I continued to do that when I brought them home, then transitioned them to a Purina premium variety for older cats. At that time, I also had two other cats, but it's been a difficult year and they both crossed the rainbow bridge due to serious illnesses. Before I lost the second one in late summer, I was trying all kinds of new foods to get her to eat: Weruva, Applaws, maybe some others, so I also tried those on my newer cat (the other one by that time was on the novel proteins diet). She seemed to like Weruva, or at least a couple of flavors, for a while, but for the most part she wasn't interested, and I don't buy it anymore. Same with the Applaws. I thought she liked that, but lately she hasn't been impressed. I saw a list of vet-recommended wet foods online, and my darling girl has rejected all of them! I've seen posts in this forum for some other things I could try, so it's back to the cat food aisle soon. But in case there's some variety I missed when taking notes about recommendations from other site users, I'll toss out the question again: best wet foods, particularly for senior kitties, but that's not an absolute necessity. She has tried one or two Royal Canin flavors but now won't eat them, and I don't think there are any Science Diet canned foods that have met her expectations. Since I'm only feeding one cat, I don't want anything that only comes in the larger cans.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What about Reveal, Kasiks, Mouser, Merrick, Forza10, koha, Feline Natural, The Honest Kitchen... You can refrigerate the partial can if it's a 5 oz.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be time for some bloodwork to check for hyperthyroid, if she is turning her nose up an foods she uses to like. That can be a symptom.

Otherwise, you might try kitten foods as they smell stronger, or adding some hot water to the cans (from a kettle, not a tap. Hot water from the tap can have rust from the hot water tank and needs boiled before consumption.)

Pick any of the basics that have a short ingredients list. Nothing wrong with the Fancy Feast kitten pates or similar. Steer clear from additives like tomatoes, spinach, cheese, milk...

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals