Healthy stool on high protein wet/raw diet?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious how your cats stool look on the high protein/low carb wet food/raw diets. One of my cat enjoys Tiki cat, Rawz and freeze dried. His stool is usually quite small, almost like what's considered constipation stools for normal cats. There's basically no smell to them and they're slightly lighter in color. Not sure if the color is due to passing his ingested fur (he is cream colored, his stool is like lighter brown). He is young and has perfect health but most cat poop charts out there would probably rate his stool as unhealthy looking. Just wanted some second opinions from owners who do feed high quality protein foods!

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't feed Sassy raw, but I do feed her tiki cat, feline natural, and usually the Orijen 90% meat for dry food as a supplement. She will occasionally drop a really stinky one, but generally they are fairly small, little to no smell, occasionally light brown if she's gotten into the cat grass but usually pretty dark.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a page on raw fed cat poop. I am having trouble finding it.

Here's a video instead:

Raw fed cat poop is supposed to be small, lighter in color, and a lot less pungent. When I fed Krista raw, before her lymphoma and the chemo nixed that idea, her stools were lovely. They were small (like the video above) and milk chocolate (or lighter) in color with nearly no odor. Seriously! And that's the way cat poops are supposed to be. Remember that cats are also prey creatures. This is why they cover their poops. The last thing they want to do is leave a stinky announcement that they are/were near.

Yes. The poop charts you have been looking at are based on commercial wet and dry food diets, not raw. From the sounds of it, as long as he isn't struggling to poop (straining, unproductive trips, or multiple trips to the box), I think you're doing great, and I wouldn't change a thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From Making Cat Food

Left = homemade diet (no fiber)
Right = canned food diet
Take my word for it….the one on the left = very little odor
The one on the right = very stinky (fiber is fermented into some very smelly gases)

IMO, every cat has their own normal poop. Both my cats eat raw, two different commercial brands. One has nearly odorless dark brown poop and only poops out maybe 4 pieces. The other tends to have several large pieces of super stinky dark brown poop but he also has IBD. Just know what is normal for your cat and general litter box habits. If you notice straining or anything, that might be a sign of constipation.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Making Cat Food

Left = homemade diet (no fiber)
Right = canned food diet
Take my word for it….the one on the left = very little odor
The one on the right = very stinky (fiber is fermented into some very smelly gases)

IMO, every cat has their own normal poop. Both my cats eat raw, two different commercial brands. One has nearly odorless dark brown poop and only poops out maybe 4 pieces. The other tends to have several large pieces of super stinky dark brown poop but he also has IBD. Just know what is normal for your cat and general litter box habits. If you notice straining or anything, that might be a sign of constipation.
catinfo! I forgot about that site. I keep going back to feline-nutrition(dot)org or catnutrition(dot)org. But I forgot all about catinfo(dot)org. (Catinfo may be the only site that previews correctly here which is why I'm not putting in the links.)