Healthy Mouth Water Additive

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have shared of Moo’s dental issues in the past. He’s 4 and has already had seven extractions in the past year. His vet says he’s just prone to periodontal issues and it’s not stomatitis or anything. Now he just has regular six month cleanings.
Anyway, last week he had his cleaning and the vet gave me a syringe of this green concoction and told me it’s a water additive. It’s called Healthy Mouth and it’s supposed to help prevent build up of tartar in Moo’s mouth. After reading the ingredients it seems like a homeopathic product and I haven’t found many reviews online about it. Has anyone tried this and had results? My vet’s assistant said the vet uses it for all her animals and has seen positive results. I was just curious if it’s something I should purchase to use from now on. Thanks!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like you I couldnt find any reviews and have not tried it but a friend of mine used Plaque Off which she finds good. I am in the UK so dont know if you can get it where you are. Amazon sell it here.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, I dont find the water additives all that great, some other options are cat toothbrush/paste which may take awhile to get your cat used to and would be a daily commitment, another option is a dental diet such as Royal Canin. I hope this helps

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Strix NB Oral Care. I add it to my cat's water since she had her first dental cleaning a few years ago and she hasn't needed one since. I've been told its also good to use leading up to a dental as it can help soften some of the tartar and make it easier (and cheaper) for you and the vet.

Not sure if its available everywhere, but its good stuff! Its supposedly not flavored. My picky cat drinks it.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty is 8 years old, has had 2 annual dental cleaning and 5 extractions due to F.O.R.L (tooth resorption). I've tried so many times to brush his teeth, but I just can't get far enough back to make a difference.
I just got back from the vet and just 6 months after his cleaning, he has gingivitis and plaque buildup. :(

My vet recommended the Healthy Mouth water additive to use in between cleanings. She said to only use products accepted by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council). I'm shocked at the price, and can't find any reviews at all as to it's effectiveness or possible side effects.

I want to try it, but read it makes the water green and taste like salmon. Do cats want to drink green salmon water?? With shipping, an 8oz jug is going to cost $65.29 YIKES.

Anyways, also wondering if any one has tried it - or do i need to take one for the team and report back with my experience. lol

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of water additives. I think cats should access to pure water. The additives might make the water taste funky which can lead to kitty drinking less which is not good at all. Are you able to brush his teeth at home? Honestly it's the most effective thing.