Healthy Cat - Inappropriate Pooping

polarisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm new here & spent quite a bit going over other threads relating to the same subject but unfortunately, I could really use some help!

I have two cats: one is an 11 year old (black) male and my second little guy is a 6 year old (black) mixed Siamese male. I've had both since they were kittens.

Unfortunately it appears that the younger cat (Latte) has been pooping outside the boxes. He doesn't do it on a daily basis: in the past he's gone 6 months without a single incident. At times he can barely go 6 days.

He has no health issues: his behavior otherwise is completely normal (for him!) He eats well, he plays all day, loves snuggles, hanging with his bro and sleeps well. He's the picture of a healthy, showcat (he looks like TV material). His brother, Felix, has zero bathroom issues.

A bit of background:

My husband works sporadic hours. Latte is closest to him (although close with everyone else) but he's his BFF. My husband can go a week without working then suddenly get called to work 6 days in a row. His hours are almost -always- weird overnight/second shift (think, 4/5/6 to as late as 3:30 on some nights when things were crazy). We noticed a very distinct pattern: he poops on the floor when my husband's "routine" gets changed around. If we leave home for a week, he'll randomly poop on the floor. If he works after not working for a while, he'll poop on the floor. Normally, someone is home all day with him, whether it's me, my husband or both (most of what we do is at night).

For example, my husband was home for a couple nights.. tonight we had to go to class.. and voila, he pooped.

He poops in similar places: always around or near the boxes. Both are cleaned daily. The areas around the box are also very clean and sanitized. When he poops in the box, it's not on the rim or anywhere else funky. Their food and water aren't even in the same room as either box.

We're sure it has to do with the work related shift changes causing him anxiety. .....But we don't know what to do. It's gotten to the point that when we're home, we'll be doing homework, watching tv, etc and will literally pet him for -hours- (he wants love like crazy!) We play with him, groom him, pet him, love him but it's not enough. I don't know if there's anything else we can do to try to keep him happy enough that he doesn't get so stressed when we leave for a few hours at night, or when the husband has to work.

Also, he has tons of toys to keep him stimulated: they have a toy chest they can access on their own and we also have another "secret" toy chest we pull toys from so they get new goodies so often. They have access to several windows overlooking all sorts of exciting things (cars, the garden etc).

Does anyone have any advice to properly train or teach him it's a huge no?

Thanks so much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! welcome, I'm glad you came here!

I hate to say this but it sounds like Latte-meezer is kind of running the household, which isn't really fair to either of you, or to your other cat.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Try things like teaching him to walk on a harness/leash for some mental stimulation that's out of the ordinary.
You could try a litter additive or an actual litter that's a Cat Attract,
You could try a calming product, and even music - there's an app called Relax My Cat and there is MusicForCats . com

Here are some calming products; Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of their tongue. Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is getting anxiety when his routine is changed. He loves your husband and becomes really scared when he doesn't have him around. You might call your vet and get a recommendation for some calming treats to help him through these times. There are many out there that are natural supplements too. There is nothing you can do to change your husband's behavior, so it is the cat's you have to concentrate on to make him less anxious. Try to give him lots of extra attention when your husband is gone and maybe leave a radio on when you are gone too. Cat's live in the present, so everytime your husband leaves for extended times, your poor cat thinks it is forever.