Healthy cat goes days without food

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our 5 year old cats is totally healthy (blood and urine tests are fine and acts normal) but often goes without food and water for 24 hours and even 48+ hours every now and then. She's been fed raw all her life, and her weight remains the same regardless. She goes to the kitchen and meows when she really wants food.
She just doesn't come to the kitchen even when I'm feeding her brother. It's been hot but the a/c is on.
Should I be worried?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she go outside?
She could be mooching food from one of your neighbors.

Or, maybe, somebody else in your house is feeding her treats or other snacks and spoiling her appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she go outside?
She could be mooching food from one of your neighbors.

Or, maybe, somebody else in your house is feeding her treats or other snacks and spoiling her appetite.
She's an indoor cat now and I'm the only hand that feeds her. She finally ate after 36 hours and ate and drank again 12 hours later. I wish I could go that long without feeling hungry :flail:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is not normal. Does your veterinarian know of this behavior? Any chance another cat is vomiting and she is eating it? Sorry, I know it’s gross. Do you have dogs? Is she getting into the dog food? But really, that is not at all normal. How long ago was the bloodwork done and when was the last exam.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. That is not normal. Does your veterinarian know of this behavior? Any chance another cat is vomiting and she is eating it? Sorry, I know it’s gross. Do you have dogs? Is she getting into the dog food? But really, that is not at all normal. How long ago was the bloodwork done and when was the last exam.
Vet only knows how much she eats raw meat a day on average. No other cat is vomiting and we don't have a dog. Recent blood work and urinalysis were done two weeks ago. Since I posted this question, she's back to eating normal. It's been like this for the last 3 years or so. Every now and then she goes without food for 24-36 plus hours out of the blue.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m not a veterinarian. If she was my cat, I would be worried about her possibly having reoccurring bouts of pancreatitis that is causing her to be nauseous and not want to eat. Pancreatitis wouldn’t show up on routine blood work.
If she was mine I would do a GI panel with an FPLI during one of these hunger strikes and see what it showed. Because it really isn’t normal and if she isn’t somehow getting something to eat during that time, there must be a reason.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not a veterinarian. If she was my cat, I would be worried about her possibly having reoccurring bouts of pancreatitis that is causing her to be nauseous and not want to eat. Pancreatitis wouldn’t show up on routine blood work.
If she was mine I would do a GI panel with an FPLI during one of these hunger strikes and see what it showed. Because it really isn’t normal and if she isn’t somehow getting something to eat during that time, there must be a reason.
Thanks, I will do that. She still has treats during these hunger strikes tho :lol: